How quickly do the parks empty out after Xmas week?

we're going for Marathon Weekend, I've always thought it to be crowded (its our 3rd time!) so keep in mind the Saturday and Sunday early the morning roads can be problematic -

and our schools are returning Jan 4 - which wasnt in our plans!!

Stories like this would have me concerned that the parks will be really busy still that first week of January. If YOU are able to sneak down to Disney because of a late start, then lots of other folks are likely to have the same idea.

You should add a poll to the thread asking when schools resume for folks.

We are going Dec 29-Jan 7 because our kids don't go back to school until Jan.9th. We're in Ontario, Canada and are expecting massive crowds that week.....bring it on!

We are going Dec 29-Jan 7 because our kids don't go back to school until Jan.9th. We're in Ontario, Canada and are expecting massive crowds that week.....bring it on!

We're also from Ontario (Canada) and planning to be there over NYE and into the first week in January. All public school boards in our province (with the exception of one I think) go back to class on Jan. 9th. I'm a teacher, so it's hard to pass up the chance to go to WDW during a time when the holiday crowds should hopefully start dispersing.

This is really worrying me...when I was there a few years ago the parks emptied out the first week of Janurary (even with the marathon going on)...but a lot of people are now saying that it is super busy. Is it like, spring break busy? Cause I've been there at some of the peak times (spring break, christmas, summertime, etc) and I was really hoping January wouldn't be so bad. I am worried now...we will be there the 1st through the 9th. I figured we would just avoid MK on the weekend but now it sounds like all the park will be busy...

We always go in January and the parks have gotten progressively more crowded as the years go on. This will be the first time going so early and we had to choose that week because of college break for my DS. I hope I don't regret it! :headache:

We're also from Ontario (Canada) and planning to be there over NYE and into the first week in January. All public school boards in our province (with the exception of one I think) go back to class on Jan. 9th. I'm a teacher, so it's hard to pass up the chance to go to WDW during a time when the holiday crowds should hopefully start dispersing.

If you check the Ontario provincial education website it says Dec 19-31st.:confused3

Sorry. I was looking at last year's calendar.

Randomingly checking school board websites it appears some provinces (BC and Saskatchewan) and some states (Florida, Texas) do go back on the 3rd. But that was just random googling school board calendars.

This is really worrying me...when I was there a few years ago the parks emptied out the first week of Janurary (even with the marathon going on)...but a lot of people are now saying that it is super busy. Is it like, spring break busy? Cause I've been there at some of the peak times (spring break, christmas, summertime, etc) and I was really hoping January wouldn't be so bad. I am worried now...we will be there the 1st through the 9th. I figured we would just avoid MK on the weekend but now it sounds like all the park will be busy...

It's not "spring break busy." It might not even be "summer busy," but my children go to year round school so we can go in the off season. It was busier than our previous trips (September, October, and May) and the hours were shorter. Add in the cooler weather and I would just rather go at other times of the year.

It's not "spring break busy." It might not even be "summer busy," but my children go to year round school so we can go in the off season. It was busier than our previous trips (September, October, and May) and the hours were shorter. Add in the cooler weather and I would just rather go at other times of the year.

Hmm well as long as it's not spring break or summertime busy, I think I can handle it. And the cooler weather is the main reason I was looking forward to going in January! I am from a part of Texas where it's hot and humid more often than not so anytime I can enjoy some nice cool temperatures I am all for it :thumbsup2

Thanks for the response!

As long as you understand that the parks won't be dead, and adjust your expectations, you should be fine.

I remember reading thread after thread the week after New Year's last year wondering why the parks were still so busy. They seemed to empty after Marathon Weekend.

You're right though. It's much easier to deal with crowds with crowds in cooler weather. And I survived the record cold there last December. I'll take that any day over record heat, which we experienced in Sept/Oct 09.

As long as you understand that the parks won't be dead, and adjust your expectations, you should be fine.

I remember reading thread after thread the week after New Year's last year wondering why the parks were still so busy. They seemed to empty after Marathon Weekend.

You're right though. It's much easier to deal with crowds with crowds in cooler weather. And I survived the record cold there last December. I'll take that any day over record heat, which we experienced in Sept/Oct 09.

I am definitely going to have to adjust my expectations...I really thought it would be pretty dead after New Years. I did realize it would be a little busier because of the marathon weekend but I figured it wouldn't affect the crowd level too terribly much. It'll be fine though...honestly, it will probably be much less crowded than what I am used to for spring break, summer, etc so that is fine by me.

And you're right, crowds are MUCH easier when it's not hot. I get grumpy when I am hot so I am looking forward to the cool weather :)

They vanish when the schools reopen.

In 2012, figure the parks will be "empty" on Mon. January 2. (Jan. 3, at the latest.)

Times have changed, and the days of the parks emptying out after the holidays are long gone.

Just checked most of the bigger counties here in NC and it looks like nearly all of them have some sort of time off after NYE. Most start back either Tuesday or Wed. I'm getting nervous :confused: I was prepared for NYE and NYD to be really crowded but hoping that it would be better the rest of the week. Oh well, I guess we'll have to make the best of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter