• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how quick is the monorail, really...

maggie1

Mouseketeer
Hi - trying to decide between Poly and WL...is the monorail a lot faster than taking the boat or direct bus (to Epcot) from WL? I remember reading a post where someone said it took an hour to get from GF to Epcot! Will be travelling in May...do the monorails run quite frequently/are waits bad (other than closing time, of course). I have a 4 year old, so if the monorail really makes things quicker, I will most likely go that route. Thanks in advance for your help!

Originally posted by maggie1
Hi - trying to decide between Poly and WL...is the monorail a lot faster than taking the boat or direct bus (to Epcot) from WL? I remember reading a post where someone said it took an hour to get from GF to Epcot! Will be travelling in May...do the monorails run quite frequently/are waits bad (other than closing time, of course). I have a 4 year old, so if the monorail really makes things quicker, I will most likely go that route. Thanks in advance for your help!

First, there are no boats that go from WL to Epcot.

If you have no wait time for the bus at WL, the bus will be faster.

From the WL, the bus ride may take 15-20 minutes, but you may wait 20 minutes for the bus if one just pulled away.

From the GF, the monorail will take 15+ minutes to get to the TTC. The wait for the Epcot monorail may be 10 minutes. The trip to Epcot will take 15 minutes.

Ed

Maggie

one thing to think about is from the Poly, it is a quick and easy walk to the TTC to get the monorail to epcot.

to take the resort monorail from Poly to TTC, you have to stop everywhere else first (i.e. resort monorail goes clockwise) - so it is a longer trip

I don't know abt the Poly, but when we stayed at CR, it averaged a good 45-50 minutes to Epcot via the monorail.

The bus from WL was MUCH faster, I'd say around 20 minutes.

As meuseman posted, you can walk to the TTC from the Poly and board the Epcot monorail direct, so won't have to get on the MK monorail and then switch. This isn't an option if staying at the GF or the Contemporary. However, if you're staying at the opposite end of the Poly property, it can be at least a 10 minute walk to the TTC.

thanks - I must have been tired when I posted - I know there is not a boat to epcot from WL. I meant does the boat from the wl to the mk take about the same length of time as taking the monorail to MK from Poly.

Do the monorails run more often than buses? Or are all trans options running every 20 min...

If I decide on Poly, I am hoping for Tahiti, which I believe is fairly close to the TCC.

I guess I am trying to figure out if the extra cost for the Poly can be justified by quicker transportation....thanks again for your help, everyone.

It all depends on how unlucky your timing is. When we stayed at the GF in February and headed to Epcot, we'd just missed the monorail. The CM told us the next monorail was just le aving the Contemporary. It took almost 10 minutes for this second train to arrive, and then another 10-15 minutes to get to the TTC. Then we had to wait for the Epcot monorail, which had also just left (grr...). The whole trip took almost an hour.

This is no one's fault, by the way. I'm just using the worst-case scenario. If you stay at the Poly, you can just walk to the TTC from the easternmost buildings. If you're at the Contemporary, the TTC is the first stop.

When we stayed at the Poly, we were very near to the TTC. We found that it was much quicker to either ride the boat launch or the ferry at the TTC to MK than to wait for the monorail. There were 3 times that we ogt on at the monorail only to sit and wait at the Poly station and at GF station--the wait times seemed excessive to us, since we were soooo wanting to be at MK--One EE day, it took us 40 minutes to ride the monorail to MK.

If you do stay at WL and walk up just as the Epcot bus pulls away, you can take a TTC bus and then hop the monorail from the TTC. I'm not sure if this is, in fact, faster, but it FEELS better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter