• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How old would your child have to be to be alone at the parks?

When my older DD was 13yo I started letting my girls go off on their own. Last year they were 14yo & 11yo during our trip and I let them ride the buses a few times. We aren't planning another trip until they are 16yo & 13yo and I expect them to want to do much more on their own the next trip.

I don't like them being alone, they are required to stay together. There are a few times where one or the other has gone to get something and come right back like a FP / snack run but if it is just the 2 of them I ask that they stay together.

I think it also depends on how many times they've been to WDW. That trip was our 3rd within a year and they've been enough times they know the parks and the transportation system so they can get around great. There are many variables so it really is a decision you have to make with what works best for your family.

My 12 year old twins and my 19 year old had a great time going off by themselves. We did however have rules they had to follow and they were armed with both walkie talkies and cell phones so that we could keep in touch and meet up every once in a while. They also had to iether be in the same park as us or if they went to the other parks they needed to all stick together.

My DS went to the arcade and the food court when he was 12. At 14, I let him go ride other things in the same park. He is now almost 19 and doesn't even want to go with me for spring break, so I'm going alone!

My kids will be 14 and 12 when we go in April. I would be comfortable letting them go off on their own in the same park that we are in. The 14 year old will have his cell phone so I know I'll be able to check in with them frequently. I would not feel comfortable letting them go to a separate park with out us.

I think its really alot to do with how mature they are. though I know I would NEVER let my 11 y/o go on his own. if they are not in there mid tees I can not see it happening in this day and age and when they do go its going to be with a fully charged cell phone .

I have a nephew who has been caring for his siblings since he was 11 and his sister then was 9 and 2. they would go out often too so he grew up to fast.

I would be to scared something would happen thats a ABIG place to get lost in and I know my kids would be afraid at 11 and 8 to go without us. when we go we are going to have them carry my cell and we are going to get our old prepaid set as well in case we get seperated, they can call my dh. so everyone will be equipped accept the baby and 5 y/o who will be in a double stroller

Since my DDs are only 5 & 7, I was sitting here thinking "why would be want to be apart on a family trip?" But maybe as they get a little older, they will want to do their own thing, even on a family trip. :sad2:

Now, I have to say, as long as my younger one goes with my older one, then I am sure they will be okay!!! :lmao:

I'd say they would have to be 12 and up to actually explore the parks by themselves as long as the rest of the family is in it somewhere.

Last time DS, who was 10, stayed on Main Street exploring the shops, buying things, etc., for about an hour while we watched the parade from the enterance. BTW, he is a very responsible child who makes smart choices, so I would let him pretty much roam the parks then as long as an one parent was somewhere in the park and cell phones or walkie talkies were used.

As for the other DS, I won't let him out of my sight until he's 50! :rotfl2:

I think it really depends on the kids in question and whatever the parent thinks is best, but I do think that adults often think of preteen kids as less able than they actually are. I often feel the same and yet I can well recall feeling quite confident and responsible at that age.

When staying at the Poly at age 11, I was allowed to take the monorail and go to the MK on my own. This was well before cell phones, but I knew the parks like the back of my hand and I knew to speak to a cast member or contact guest services in Town Hall if I needed help. I also had my resort room card with charging privileges if needed. I was a responsible kid and knew where my family would be and when I should meet them. My family always makes restaurant reservations and those reservations often have supplied us with convenient meeting times and places. If not for all this, perhaps my parents would not have let me go on my own. As my Mom says, she felt WDW "was safe". And perhaps it's not as safe as we would like to think it is, but it's a lot safer than most places with all of the Disney security and families around and I wasn't a gullible 7 year old who would follow a stranger.

At age 16, I was allowed to take my 9 year old sister around the parks alone. I have to say we had a blast, and some of my fondest WDW memories come from those times. We found the best MK parade viewing spot ever (no, I won't tell where or it will be packed the next time we go) and were able to enjoy so many things that our parents weren't interested in. We did have a problem at the MK once - my sister lost her bag. However, we dutifully on our own reported it at guest services and it was promptly returned to her. So, for those that are considering allowing your children to go to the parks on their own, hopefully this will give you encouragement. Kids can handle it, they can be responsible, and as long as they're armed with information about where to go and what to do in different situations, they should be ok. Especially now with cell phones.

Depends on the kids: Please don't flame me because I haven't left him alone in the parks, but my 8 year old is so responsible he could run the household if he needed to. :thumbsup2 Now the 11 year old, that's another story.....:rotfl2:
Anyway, although I don't have teens, I have taken many trips with teens and I think everyone is a little happier with some time apart. Do make sure your kids know the lay of the land it you decide to split up. The teens I were with knew Disney quite well. Trust your instincts and I'm sure you'll make the right choice for your family.

Well, when my daughter was 13, I let her take her little brother, was 6, to the pool in the evening. My daughter is mature for her age(she is a little mommy to him)...Of course, I would go to the pool about 10 mins. later check on them...sit there and watch them play then walk back with them.
She was thrilled to beable to do this....(well, it was really cute watching them walk to the pool hand and hand) It made her feel good about herself, that I trust her with her brother.

When she was 14, I would let her run ahead and go get the cups from our room to bring back to the food court, not everyday......Now, in parks we all stick together... my DH is the one who gets lost.:rotfl2:

Oh that remind me of a story...My dd was 13, (at MGM, all of us) my DH
and her were by 50's prime time...by the lake, there are tables and chairs to sit at.....well, we met up with them and my dd tells me, while they were sitting there, there were 2 boys and 1 girl (teenagers) was sitting behind my DH, my dd said, the girl was lifting up her shirt and exposing herself to the boys....DH never saw anything....my dd was very upset by this....My DD said, where are their parents....

This year she is 16, her friend is going with us, she is 15, we already had that discussion. They allowed to seperate from us in the park. Of course there are rules...(who don't have rules) We will see about the rest....because we really ejoy being together....

I might get flame for this....but I know my children...

When my son is 21 he can go off to Disney World on his own.
Call me a paranoid parent but Disney World seems like it would be a prime target for perverts and kidnappers so I'll keep my kids within eyesight at these parks until they are adults!:)

Forgot to mention: I would be much more likely to allow my teenage SON to wander around the park than a teenage daughter. I personally know too well the bad things that can happen to naive teenage girls in the company of older men, and well, like I said in my previous post, I think WDW is probably a pervert's dream come true.

Reading this thread made me remember something. My one and only trip as a child to Disney was when I was 5. My brother was 11 and I remember he was allowed to take me on the teacups while my parents waited in line for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I have no idea how far apart these attractions were, but my parents never seemed worried about me if I was with my brother.

I have 5 year old twins and I can't imagine letting an 11 year old take them off somewhere in the parks, but it's a different time. I think I probably will let them go off on their own a little when they are 12 or so. My ds is the navigator and my dd is the responsible one, so as long as they're together they should be ok.

Well, I am 20 and I have a 16 y.o. brother. Whenever I go with my parents or Grandmother, I still always stick with them. I mean it is supposed to be a family vacation and all so I would feel bad wandering around without them and missing out on some things. Maybe that's just me, though.

When we were younger, they would always let my brother and I go off for short periods on our own, but just to the pool, a shop, a ride, hotel room while they went out, etc. We never (even now that both of us are older) split up for hours. Of course, we always go for short trips since we live in Florida and sometimes go several times a year. I suppose if you go for 2 weeks, everyone needs a break from each other at some point.

When I was 16, my parents let my sister (who is five years younger) and myself spend time in the same park without them. Once I hit 18, they let us go to other parks without them (my sister would have been 13 at that point). Since we got along well, we never asked to go to parks totally alone, but it was nice to get a break from the parents every once in a while (and it gave them a rest too!). But the world was a different place then.

We have a DS 16 and DD10 when we go in August I would have no problems in letting my son go on the Buses to a park on his own or take his sister, they probably behave toward each other better in that situation than when we are around, although they are pretty good to each other anyway. But they will want to stay with us and we like their company.

When I was his age and younger I used to get day bus passes and ride around London visiting museums and I would trust my son also (he is taller than I am already)

On our first trip in '03, DS's were 12 & 9; we let them leave Epcot early one day to go back to the resort and swim. Three subsequent trips they have gone out on their own quite a bit, like going to DQ together. Only requirement is that they stay together. I'm lucky though, because my oldest is mature beyond his years, has been his entire life so making a decision like this one was easy for DW and myself. Everyone's kids are different, so there is not a right or wrong age to let them go off on their own. JMO

I would let my three (13, 10, and 8) do some limited exploring, if they wanted to. We let them go down to the Boardwalk for soda refills this last year. It was that awesome step into independence that feels so incredible when you are o your own. They managed to return without being kidnapped.:rolleyes1

Huh? You really wouldn't let your 13 year old shop by herself (or himself) for a few minutes? I don't think allowing a little independence is letting them act like adults. It's preparing them, little by little, for life.

I agree!

Why can´t people just live and let live?

You have to remember that some 13 year olds have not been raised to think independantly and make wise choices. So, the poster of that statement is probably very smart in knowing that her child isn't mature enough.

MIne would die if I treated him like that. He knows he is smart and is able to make good decisions.

Live and let live, as you said!

eta: I just went to your website! You have a lovely family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter