How old were you...

My first trip I was 8 and the only things I remember are it was cold, my grandma (she and my grandpa took my lil sis and I) was grouchy and kinda mean, being dragged (I do mean physically dragged) onto the Matterhorn (hence my major paranoia about roller coasters) and Snow White's wishing well. I wish I remembered more from that trip but I don't. My second trip I was 15 and my grandparents took me and my 3 sibs. I remember a lot more from that trip.
I've been planning our upcoming trip as much as possible to make sure my kids have a wonderful memory of it and I can do all the cool stuff I wish had been done with me my 1st time.

My DH was 3 months old when he first went to Disneyland. He was born the same year Disneyland opened, so he has always had a special affection for the park. I also grew up locally, but I don't remember going until I was 7 or 8. My parents would whisper and have low-voiced discussions for days before, and then my dad would casually announce that we were going to Disneyland. We would run to the shoebox where we had stashed all our leftover A/B/C tickets from previous trips, and then we would go down the block and ask all our friends and cousins for their leftovers. On our way to Disneyland, we would keep our eyes peeled for the Matterhorn because the first kid to see it would get a prize. I loved the boats, the Peoplemover, America the Beautiful. My dad would always make us go see Mr. Lincoln. My brother "got lost" on Tom Sawyer's Island (I think he was hiding) and we stayed out there for what seemed like forever. I loved the different names in the parking lot and would always remember where we parked.
Our DS was 3 weeks old when we first took him to Disneyland (What were we thinking???) and I swear it was the happiest day of my DH's life (next to DS' birth and the day he met me, I'm sure). :cloud9: DS slept through most of the visit. Mickey Mouse was so kind to him, as was Pluto.

Ah yes a lot of those things bring back good memories for me as well. I remember driving down and it seemed back in the 70's and 80's it was a lot easier to spot the matterhorn off I-5 and that 8 hour drive was ALL worth it the minute you saw it. And then driving down Katella and seeing the old sign. LOVED that sign!!

And I remember going in to see America the Beautiful and how it made me kind of motion sick LOL.

Oh and do you remember on people mover going through with the race cars and then TRON! LOL

I also miss when the monorail kind of tourned tomorrowland before it left to go to the disney hotel.

That is one REALLY cool thing about the monorail in DW is it actually serves a great purpose and you can ride it right into a hotel (the contemporary) or to the parks etc.

I knew this would be a popular thread because thinking back to your first time or first few times esp if they were long ago brings back SUCH great memories.

I LOVE the park now but I loved it then too and love to see old movies or whatever of how it used to be and remember what it was like!

I was a late-comer, visiting for the first time at 11 years old. But I still don't remember much of it at this point. Too many decades have passed!

I was about 5 or 6 I think. I remember my favorite ride being the submarine voyage (I loved that long sea creature with the goofy smile)! :lmao:

I also remember the "big" drops on Pirates, and the "huge" drops on Space Mountain.

As far as characters, I remember taking pictures with Baloo the bear, and the king from Robin Hood.

I also remember the 3-D Michael Jackson show! I remember being sooo scared of the womans nails coming at you! I had to close my eyes!!! :scared1:

I was 2, and I don't remember it. I have some pics though. I do remember the mickey balloons, but we got those often, so it might not have been from that first trip. My mom says that when I saw Mickey, my eyes got really big, like I was seeing a movie star! LOL I guess it was kind of like that old WDW commercial where the little girl says to Mickey "I've been waiting my whole life to meet you!" :goodvibes

Anyway, after that, I probably went once or twice a year, until I moved to socal and got an AP...;) I remember always getting one of those giant peppermint sticks (I liked the red white and blue striped one) and a mickey balloon...:thumbsup2

I was 4 (1965) on my first trip. We would drive up from Oxnard...and wait for that magical first sighting of the matterhorn! Remember the ticket books, frozen bananas,listening to the phones in the candy shop, buying plastic flowers at the florists carts on Main st. Favorite rides...the sky buckets, Carousel of progress,Adventure thru inner space, the mule ride, tea cups, and all the ones still there today. My DD was also 4 (1995) the first time we took her. In between we visited almost every year.

I was 4, and my parents told me by waking me up early in the morning and shouted, "we're going to Disneyland today!" It's still one of my best memories. :love:

I was 15 years old when I went for the first time. My DH was 12, and he went 3 times with his grandparents. ;) I remember, the subs when there was no nemo and Star Wars we the new exciting ride. :scared: My DH remembers when you had to pay for each land and ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter