How old were you when you met the Mouse?

I was 13 on a trip with my parents and brother who was eleven.

My folks took us twice, but cannot for the life of them figure out why I'm going back for the fifth time in as many years as an adult!

I saw the 'mouse' on TV - MMC everyday and DL on weekends-long before I ever met him in person. I remember wishing so much to go to DL as a kid. Then my folks went to California with my younger sister while I was in college. She met the mouse of course :sad2: . Later when WDW opened I wanted to be there but fresh out of college, with a new job and no $$ meant it would have to wait. (The younger sister got there first too.)
It was 1980 and I was 30 when I finally got to meet the mouse in person at WDW. I remember waiting on a line near the firehouse to see him. There I was 30 years old and so excited about meeting the mouse! A little girl (age 3 or so) near us started calling "Mickey, Mickey, Mickey, Mickey" She ran up to MM and grabbed him around his knees and kept chanting "Mickey, Mickey, Mickey..." There we were about 10 adults all trying to get this little one to let go of MM's legs long enough to allow Mom to take a picture of her with MM with her face showing. We finally succeeded in getting her to turn around for the picture as she told MM how much she loved him. It was worth it.
And here I am going back again and again and again.
(It took me another 21 years to finally get to DL!) :smooth:

Another Mickey Mouse Club watcher here!!! :wave2:
I remember I used to run home from school to see my favorite show each week day. If I jar my memory, I think that Wed. was (Anything can happen day), and Fri. was (Talent Roundup day)!! :earsgirl: :earsboy:
AAAHHH, The good old days!!! :cloud9:
Anyway, I was 14, when my family went to Cali, to visit relatives & took us to DL for the first time. I was in AWE. :love: I was hoping to see mickey @ every turn, (or at least,one of my favorite mouseketeers). :goodvibes
Our First trip to WDW was in 1973, with DH & our first DS,3yrs old. My In-laws had a vac. Home on the west coast of Fla.
When we entered the MK it seemed soo different compaired to DL, it really felt like a WORLD ! A Gazzillion trips later, I`m still in awe!!!!!!
THANK YOU WALT!!!!! :flower:

WebmasterDoc said:
Like Caskbill, my first exposure to Mickey was on TV as a child. The Disneyland TV programs began in 1954 and were enjoyed long past the DL opening in July, 1955. The Mickey Mouse Club was also a staple at our house.

My dad was the first transmitter engineer for the ABC affiliate in Phoenix, and was really excited when ABC and Walt Disney linked up to do the Disneyland show. As a child, I and my sisters would watch the Mickey Mouse Club every day and the whole family would watch the Disneyland show every week. In late summer 1956, we made our first of many family trips to Disneyland. I was 4 and thrilled to meet the Mouse (even though he didn't look at all like he does now; those early costumes were hideous :scared: !) Then I got horribly scarred psychologically by my parents when they took me on the Storybook Land Canal Boats and I thought Monstro the whale was swallowing us...but that didn't stop me from continuing to watch the shows and go to the park on an annual basis for most of the rest of my childhood, and have continued to do so (on both coasts) ever since. I still get a thrill every time I meet the Mouse (and I finally got over my fear of Monstro enough to ride the Storybook Land Canal Boats last month :earboy2: )

I believe our first trip to WDW was in the summer of '72. That would've put me at eight years old.

I remember staying at a tall Howard Johnson's about 10 or 15 minutes drive away.
It was near impossible to get reservations to stay at the CR or Poly back then. :drinking:

MG

:thewave: :grouphug: I was 12 and my DW was 14 when we first met the mouse . My SPOILED DS and DD were 2 1/2 years old and 13 months respectively. My how times have changed.

I was 5 - my dad says that there was no one around on Main Street and there he was. I just ran up to him and gave him a big hug! :earsboy:

Grandparents lived about 20min.away.We went the day after Christmas and it was packed. They had to close the parking lot around 11:00. When we stand in a line for 20 to 30mins.now.It seems like nothing. We would wait a hr or more to get on every ride.But I loved it then and now my family loves it too. :goodvibes

I was 31 and my daughter was 2. Ever since then we have been hooked on Disney--which my family doesn't get. No wonder since I was 31 on my first trip.

I was 12. Met the mouse in 1960 at DL when we drove to CA for my uncle's wedding. Went to DL again in 64 and then went to WDW in 76 and my DH and I have been going ever since. Joined DVC in 93.

This is my first Post. I joined the forum today. How appropriate to want to share my first mouse encounter. I was 7 and it was in Disneyland.
I am 54 so do the math. Of Course I was also an avid Micky Mouse Club fan! I went all the time as a kid as we lived in LasVegas and my Dad had to work in the LA area alot so he would take my Mom sister and I and put us in the Heidi motel and we would get our book of tickets and spend a few days. I have some ABCDand E tickets still. My Daughter spent her 1st birthday with the mouse in Disneyland in 1974. And her Graduation at Disneyworld. She worked at Epcot on the College program. We bought DVC at Saratoga Springs and our first trip HOME is the 28th of May. We are so excited.

thumper51 said:
This is my first Post. I joined the forum today. How appropriate to want to share my first mouse encounter. I was 7 and it was in Disneyland.
I am 54 so do the math. Of Course I was also an avid Micky Mouse Club fan! I went all the time as a kid as we lived in LasVegas and my Dad had to work in the LA area alot so he would take my Mom sister and I and put us in the Heidi motel and we would get our book of tickets and spend a few days. I have some ABCDand E tickets still. My Daughter spent her 1st birthday with the mouse in Disneyland in 1974. And her Graduation at Disneyworld. She worked at Epcot on the College program. We bought DVC at Saratoga Springs and our first trip HOME is the 28th of May. We are so excited.

Congrats and Welcome Home to you, my new SSR neighbor!
And welcome to the DISboards!! :wave2:

I was 35. Somehow I managed not to break down and cry right there on the spot! But I do remember welling up and holding back. Floods of Joy I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter