How old is your oldest kid that you put in a stroller?

I think children should not be in strollers past 5 years old unless they have a medical condition.
Seriously kids can walk better than adults at times.
I find parents will spend the whole day at parks with younger children and just stick them in strollers when they are tired, what's the point of that? If they are tired they need a break, there is so much stimulus at the parks, if they are tired a stroller is not the answer.

While a stroller may not be the answer for YOUR family, it may be the answer for someone else's family. Some children may need a break from the parks entirely, while other children are fine taking their "break" in a stroller.

The last trip we used a stroller for our niece was when she was 7. It was a 14 day trip and she asked for (and we got her) a stroller three of those days.

The last trip we used a stroller full time was when she was 5

WDW is different than a trip to the mall. Mine were in a double, at 5 and 6, their last trip. Mostly, it stayed parked from spot to spot, but it was good if we needed to cover ground quickly, dd needed a nap (the younger one and needs her beauty rest), or it was raining and we were walking.
Again, do what works for you and don't worry about what others say. Honestly, nobody will bat an eye at WDW unless you're pushing a teenager!

I think it depends entirely on the child.

IMHO, if your child is too big to actually fit in the stroller, he (or she) is probably too old for it. If that's the case, a wheelchair might be a preferable option (and will attract a lot less negative attention).

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding....

I'm a power wheelchair user (all day, every day of my life). I've seen parents stick their kids in wheelchairs (yes, 2 at at time if not more) and it's deplorable. You see the kids hanging over the edges of them, jumping in and out of them, etc, and it's obvious that it's just because the parents want to 'herd' the kids around.

As for the OP, if your kids may need a stroller, then that's your call.

My DD's will be 6 and 3 on our next trip, and I wouldn't think twice about using a stroller. There is a lot of walking at Disney and in the summer all the heat. Each child is different so you should use your own judgement and not worry what other people think. Do what's best for your family!! :)

I guess I go with the theory if I am pushing older kids in a stroller, they are saving their energy and I am spending mine, at the end of the day I will be wanting to sleep and they will still have energy to burn- least they should if they are healthy kids. We all walk, we all get tired, we all figure out when its time to rest.

I am glad my kids were old enough for this not to be an issue for me when i went to disney. I admit I don't like seeing older kids in strollers. Kids need excercise and disney is a great place to get it. It does go against what I personally believe.
that said, your vacation, your kids, I won't be seeing you again once I pass by you at disney, so its not much of my business what you do with your kids

Frankly, I would think lugging those things everywhere has got to be more of a pia than its worth

My daughter was in a stroller until she was about 1 1/2 and then refused. But Disney is a totally different place. She is now 8 and has requested a stroller because she just gets tired. It is hot and the excitement level does do a number on them.

Be your own judge on the stroller no one is going to look at you strangely...and even if they do you will be too busy having fun to notice.

DS6 & DD2.5 shared a double stroller in November every day except day one. I would not have done it any other way.

I have no kids (yet) and no serious opinion but I wanted to add that I've seen adults sleeping in rented strollers (with their legs hanging out of course) - so that person's answer might be 42.

Is that 42 is too old, or I can still ride in one at 42? Cause that is how old I am, but I don't want to break any Disney rule. Think my 70yr old dad will push me around in one if I ask nicely??

I'm the OP and honestly, I don't care what anybody else thinks. There are grumpy people everywhere, even at Disney. They're so predictable, they even name dwarves after them.

I just want to know if it's a huge hassle to get a stroller on/off the bus, maneuver it in crowds, keep track of it while you're on rides, etc. I have a baby, too, so we're doing a stroller regardless but the double stroller is a notch up in hassle & weight and I'd have to go look for it. I don't even know if kids want them, but it sounds like even the proudest of big kids eventually wears out.

I'm the OP and honestly, I don't care what anybody else thinks. There are grumpy people everywhere, even at Disney. They're so predictable, they even name dwarves after them.

I just want to know if it's a huge hassle to get a stroller on/off the bus, maneuver it in crowds, keep track of it while you're on rides, etc. I have a baby, too, so we're doing a stroller regardless but the double stroller is a notch up in hassle & weight and I'd have to go look for it. I don't even know if kids want them, but it sounds like even the proudest of big kids eventually wears out.

In my experience, it is not that big a pain to find your stroller after getting off of a ride. The CMs do tend to move them around, if they are straightening up an area, but if it your own from home it should be pretty easy to find.

As far as having the stroller on a bus, that can be a pain. If you end up standing you have to try to hold onto it as well as your kids, keeping yourself upright at the same time. But if it looks like the bus is standing room only, you can always wait for the next one.

They are a pain to get on and off the buses, etc. Maybe you could rent a stroller. We are not bringing a stroller for our 5 year old for that reason but we will probably rent one for her. She will never make it in Disney everyday walking. We also have a double stroller that we bring because we also have a 2 year old and a 1 year old so I refuse to lug around another stroller.

I plan on renting one if we need it, and my child is a small 8 year old. She gets very tired in the heat and long walks. Her asthma starts to act up. It just isn't worth it to have her uncomfortable, so if we need it we will get it!

MY DD5 will be six on our next trip. We used a stroller last year when she had just turned 5 and will agian this year, and frankly I don't care what people think. It makes for a much happeir kid for her to have a place to get a 15 min rest break. If we went back to the hotel to rest she wouldn't sleep so it would be a wasted 2-4 hours. As long as she has the stroller to sit in occasionally when she gets tired she is good for 12 hrs in the parks with minimal to no crankyness and whining. If it makes her better able to enjoy herself I say why not.

My boys are 8,6 and 2. If I didn't have the 2 year old I wouldn't take the stroller, but since I do then I take a double stroller b/c I know the older boys will want a break too.

OP- If you are taking a stroller anyways I would just take the double stroller, I know they are a little heavier to lug around, but I think you will get good use out of it. The stroller is a life saver at the end of a long day and you are walking out of the park and waiting in line for the busses. I also like the strollers so my kids can eat and ride at the same time.

I can't believe that people think its ok to call kids lazy b/c they don't want to walk ten miles a day at WDW. My kids don't know how good they have it having me for their momma.

OP- If you are taking a stroller anyways I would just take the double stroller, I know they are a little heavier to lug around, but I think you will get good use out of it.

I think I will, thanks. This thread has been helpful. Enough people with older kids seem to do it so that I'm convinced it's necessary. I don't really want to bring that double stroller. The single is a light umbrella, and the double is heavy and a pain to lug around, and I can't lift it very easily without help. But I don't want to end up spending a fortune to rent strollers either just because I guessed wrong on whether my child would tire out by the end of the morning.

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding....

I'm a power wheelchair user (all day, every day of my life). I've seen parents stick their kids in wheelchairs (yes, 2 at at time if not more) and it's deplorable.
No, I'm not kidding.

I agree with you in that WDW's rental wheelchairs are designed and intended for single users, and if I see two or more children riding in a rented wheelchair, I'll remind the parents of that.

But if a parent has a child that is too big for a stroller, and feels the child is incapable of walking all day, what other option would you suggest?

I am really perplexed as to why anyone would care, or be judgmental about the age of a child in a stroller???? It would never enter my mind. Disney is the happiest place on earth!!! I'm too busy soaking up the love :love:to worry about something so minor. What business is it of anyone else's? If I had my child in a stroller and someone was ignorant enough to make a comment to me about it, I would be in total shock. For all they know, my child has autism, or cancer, or whatever. So weird to me.

My own rule of thumb is no strollers at WDW after age 5. DS is 6 now and dd5 - last trip in Nov was our first without a double. DS was tired during part of EPCOT, but we rested awhile and he was fine - stayed all day and for fireworks. DD will be tougher when she turns 6 - she is lazier, clingy-er and will likely ask to be carried at some point. We will do some walking in the weeks before to practice. And she will know that we will leave the park or she and I will just sit down on a bench for a ride or two while dh and ds do them (as soon as she realizes she's 'missing' a ride, she'll change her tune). I am also planning on a practice run during our trip in Sept. She'll still be 5, but we are doing a 1/2 day in MK. I will not be bringing the stroller for this day to see how she'll do and to get her used to it.

I am not totally opposed renting one, on an as-needed basis, during the next couple of years. If someone isn't feeling great or something like that - we'll use one. I am more giving myself the deadline so that I do not get addicted to the crutch of having one. DH and I had a baby monitor in our family room until our kids switched rooms - DH wanted to get a new one for the switch, but our kids are way TOO OLD for them. It was for US, we realized, not for them anymore. For our own laziness and our own crutch. I realized that the stroller situation could be similar. I might want to use it much past when my kids actually need it for my own neediness. And this is why I am giving myself (and my kids) an age cutoff.

We've rented a double stroller for DD every Disney trip since she was 2. Shes 8 now and I'll let her decide if she wants just one more year with the double stroller (we rent that one just to give her extra room).

She's never had the stamina for long walks or sports..especially in the heat. She's also hearing impaired and with hearing aids on she can get over stimulated and tired easily...the stroller helps keep her relaxed. It also helps to have one when the rain starts coming down...we can easily cover it with ponchos to keep her and her hearing aids from getting wet.

My theory.....as long as she can fit...we get! Geez...I'm tired after a few hours of the park...our children get worn out, too! And you know...it's not just the walking around the park..it's that hellish walk back to the monorail or bus or car AFTER all the park walking.

I want my girl to be comfortable...I will do whatever I can to keep her that way!

Enjoy your trip and don't worry one second about how people may look at you - who the heck are they to judge???

HAVE A TERRIFIC TRIP!!:goodvibes
[/SIZE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter