• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How old is too old to have a stroller??

When I was little my parents didn't take me to Disney until I could walk on my own the whole day with breaks.

I think there are a lot of babies who are too young to be at Disney yet, and also a lot of kids who shouldn't be in strollers.

Hate me if you want, but I miss the days when you didn't see any strollers in Disney. I always get the benefits of other people's strollers being rammed into my shins and feet now when I go....

I don't think there is such a thing as a child being too young to go to Disney World. And I think it is a shame that someone would put off a trip because they didn't want to hassle with a stroller. Even young kids in strollers get a lot out of the time spent with their family at WDW.

I don't hate you for your opinion, but I think it is pretty sad that you would exclude so many from having a great trip with their family.

My kids are 6 and 8 and we will have a single stroller. They do not ride in a stroller anywhere else. I know lots of people think they are too old, but to be honest, I don't care. I believe we will all be happier if they can take a break from walking sometimes.

I don't think there is such a thing as a child being too young to go to Disney World. And I think it is a shame that someone would put off a trip because they didn't want to hassle with a stroller. Even young kids in strollers get a lot out of the time spent with their family at WDW.

I don't hate you for your opinion, but I think it is pretty sad that you would exclude so many from having a great trip with their family.

So you would bring a baby who is still being breast fed to Disney? I have seen some really tiny babies in strollers and it didn't look like they were having a great trip. They were either sleeping, eating or crying....
I would be afraid of a child that little getting sick, sunburned or scared for that matter.....

So you would bring a baby who is still being breast fed to Disney? I have seen some really tiny babies in strollers and it didn't look like they were having a great trip. They were either sleeping, eating or crying....
I would be afraid of a child that little getting sick, sunburned or scared for that matter.....

Many people do breast feed at WDW! There is a whole thread devoted to the support of it!

Most parents take good care of their little ones at WDW, just as they take good care of them at home. And I dare say a sleeping baby is a happy baby!

Honestly, when they are small they are the easiest to deal with. No whining they want this toy or that toy. No fighting over who got a better looking ice cream cone. When they get older it gets harder.

Many people do breast feed at WDW! There is a whole thread devoted to the support of it!

Most parents take good care of their little ones at WDW, just as they take good care of them at home. And I dare say a sleeping baby is a happy baby!

Honestly, when they are small they are the easiest to deal with. No whining they want this toy or that toy. No fighting over who got a better looking ice cream cone. When they get older it gets harder.

Absolutely agree! In some, well many, way taking an infant is much easier than a preschooler or older. There are ways to protect them from the sun and heat. Few if any that I've seen have been scared most are curious until they fall asleep

My kids are 6 and 8 and we will have a single stroller. They do not ride in a stroller anywhere else. I know lots of people think they are too old, but to be honest, I don't care. I believe we will all be happier if they can take a break from walking sometimes.

My DS7 used a stroller in DL in march and have one ordered for our WDW trip in October. It is the best investment. Our son gets cranky ( which he will) he rides and has a quick snack. At the end of the night, he rolls to the bus stop. Instant parade seat. Cup and bag holder. My list can go on. I can't think of a down side to the stroller.

Giant double and triple strollers that are larger than my first car are a huge problem on the buses and in crowded parks. I hope those of you who are bringing one your kids don't need just so you don't have to carry stuff consider the people whose seat on the bus you are taking with your giant stroller.

The number of people with appropriate umbrella strollers is far, far fewer than the ones who take the giant sit n' stand ones or huge ones that basically only fold in half and then are the size of an open regular stroller. It's unnecessary.

But that comes from adult me, who is sick of getting rammed into and waiting longer and picking my way through a sea of strollers at restaurants.

Giant double and triple strollers that are larger than my first car are a huge problem on the buses and in crowded parks. I hope those of you who are bringing one your kids don't need just so you don't have to carry stuff consider the people whose seat on the bus you are taking with your giant stroller.

The number of people with appropriate umbrella strollers is far, far fewer than the ones who take the giant sit n' stand ones or huge ones that basically only fold in half and then are the size of an open regular stroller. It's unnecessary.

But that comes from adult me, who is sick of getting rammed into and waiting longer and picking my way through a sea of strollers at restaurants.

Well we have never taken a seat up with our stroller. Most people fold it walk toward the back, dh likes right by the back door). Actually we take up one less seat because dh doesn't sit. The only time we "hit" anyone with a stroller was when we were stopped due to traffic and a man walked right into the stroller because he wasn't paying attention. Of course it was our fault. Most restaurants have stroller parking and I haven't seen a ton of stroller in there but sometimes they are necessary ala a sleeping child. When you are pushing a kid around for eight hours an umbrella stroller just won't cut it. And dh is 6'7" they don't make one tall enough for him to push without bending over. If you vacation in palace that attracts families, you are going to see kids and strollers. When we went before we had kids we had no issue with them.

Update: We went to Six Flags this week and just took a single stroller. Definitely needed it for our 5 year old who doesn't really like to walk and has a tendency to run ahead when he does walk. The stroller allowed me to keep him in one place. :). My 6&8 year holds walked the entire time and did a great job. We were at the park from open (10:30) til almost close (7:30) with no meltdowns!! I will probably take a double stroller just to have an extra seat in case one of my DDs gets tired since our days will be longer at Disney. And for those of you worried about us taking up space on the buses etc. Don't fret, we will have our own car as we are driving from Texas and staying off property. :)
Thanks for all the input! I hope you all have a wonderful trip to Disney the next time you go!!

I brought a stroller last August (my daughter had just turned 5)... Don't know how I would have gotten through with out it. Our last trip in March I didn't bring it b/c we were only doing MK one day, and I wish I had (and we did take a mid day break back at the hotel). After a few hours in the morning she wanted to be carried. She's now just turned 6, and I'll be bringing it for our upcoming trip. The only thing I don't like is having it on the buses is a pain.

maxiesmom said:

But do you honestly think the child that age will even remember the trip? Wait and save up the money to have an even better trip for the whole family. Just my opinion on it...that is all.

Strollers were invaluable for us on our recent trip (3 and 5 year olds). My sisters kids (4 and 6) were 100% fine without a stroller, but they live in New York so are used to walking.

Our two strollers were totaled only 95 to rent for 8 days. Money well spent!

I will be renting a double stroller when we go in February for my DS 4 and DS 7. I will be the only adult, so a stroller will come in handy for many reasons. The only reason I wouldn't use a stroller would be due to the hassle of holding it on the bus as well as loading it on and off the bus. My youngest is slow and both can get tired after a couple hours of walking and standing. I also want to be able to keep tabs on them easily. But like many have said, to each their own:)

But do you honestly think the child that age will even remember the trip? Wait and save up the money to have an even better trip for the whole family. Just my opinion on it...that is all.

They don't remember trips to parks, local zoos, library story hours, grandma and grandpas house etc why bother leaving the house at all. They won't remember it. We took our dd at 16 months and she's now 4 and still loves watching the videos and looking at the photos.

And what if your children are not close in age? The oldest shouldn't get the magic of visiting WDW while they are fairly young, because they happen to have a younger brother or sister? I will give you an example--my nephew is just about to turn 22. His youngest sister just turned 13. Going by your logic he should never have set foot in WDW until the age of 15. That just seems very silly. And what a waste of precious years we never get back!

Do you not have kids, or nieces or nephews or grandkids? Do you not do things with them while they are young that they enjoy at the time, but won't remember? Shouldn't the whole family get to do fun things together as a family before the age of 6?

And what if your children are not close in age? The oldest shouldn't get the magic of visiting WDW while they are fairly young, because they happen to have a younger brother or sister? I will give you an example--my nephew is just about to turn 22. His youngest sister just turned 13. Going by your logic he should never have set foot in WDW until the age of 15. That just seems very silly. And what a waste of precious years we never get back!

Do you not have kids, or nieces or nephews or grandkids? Do you not do things with them while they are young that they enjoy at the time, but won't remember? Shouldn't the whole family get to do fun things together as a family before the age of 6?

Really I think it all depends on the situation. I was waiting in the bathrooms at MK and struck up a conversation with a mother who was changing her newborn daughter's diaper. I mean this little girl was almost small enough to wear preemie close and her mother was absolutely miserable because she was crying and had to be fed and changed all the time. This was their first child and had flown all the way from California for a week at disney for her first trip. To me it seems silly to spend that much money on a trip that she won't remember and you're too stressed to enjoy. But to each their own.

Nobody suggested an infant/toddler would remember a trip. Heck....I can't even remember half of my last trip just a year ago. :rotfl: That's what cameras and video cameras are for. :thumbsup2

FWIW our worst trip was when my kids were 4 and 7. They were beyond miserable most of the time. They were much easier to manage and better behaved when they were younger. :goodvibes

SInce OP asked....:cool1: I personally feel 4-5 years old is too old for a stroller in normal life, but in WDW I think it's about the cutoff age for one.:thumbsup2 They're still small enough to need a shelter if things get crowded,or they need a spot to rest while everyone else is doing things.... I know for my own kids (way back in the day) I brought one when they were both 5,and it didn't get used. But then again we are an active family anyway, so walking all day (with lots of sitting and snacking) wasn't an issue,we also took our kids hiking by 4-5 years old and they could hike for hours with us.... OP if I were you I'd bring one umbrella stroller so you have it if you need it, but I'll bet you mostly won't.:thumbsup2

When I was little my parents didn't take me to Disney until I could walk on my own the whole day with breaks.

I think there are a lot of babies who are too young to be at Disney yet, and also a lot of kids who shouldn't be in strollers.

Hate me if you want, but I miss the days when you didn't see any strollers in Disney. I always get the benefits of other people's strollers being rammed into my shins and feet now when I go....

I half agree with you when our kids are 3 years old we took them to disney mk just for day or two, no week long till youngest one was 7..

I dislike all the strollers and people running with them.

At younger ages its nice to go slow and let them walk or explore at their own pace...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter