How old is too old for BBB and custom clothes?

tublady

Earning My Ears
So how old is too old for BBB and custom sewn clothes - is it still fun for an 8 year old? We are leaving in about a month for a surprise trip for her and my DS for spring break. My dd is 8 and has done BBB on previous trip when she was 4 - do girls still go there at 8? She loved it before but I don't want her to feel it's for little girls, if you know what I mean.
Also I wanted to make some matching outfits for her and my DS(2), I am thinking something simple - like short outfits with Mickey and Minnie on them. I have made t-shirts before but not full blown outfits but I LOVE the looks of them. I just don't want her to feel silly, so I was hoping to hear if any else makes clothes for their DD's that age. I also guess I am second guessing some of our plans because the other day she came home from school and said the she doesn't like Hannah Montana anymore because all the girls at school don't like her, that she's not cool anymore....

What's ok at Disney has nothing to do with what's "cool" at home. Gosh, my DH wears Mickey Ears... and at home he's VERY straight laced. I've seen girls of all ages- incl. Moms- at BBB, so I think she'd fit right in, although maybe not do the big princess dress. As far as customs, with what you're thinking about, I think you'd definitely be fine- go for it! It'll make for super cute pics, too!

I agree with what Nicole says! My girls are 7 and 11, and they still like to wear customs at Disney. BBB is definitely for all ages (well, all ages over 3). You guys will have a great trip!

And, come join us on the Disboutiquers thread, you'll fit right in! (It's here on the family board)

I think it depends upon your DD. I know that my older DD by the age of 8 wouldn't have been caught dead in BBB. :rolleyes: When she was 10 she could barely stand to watch her younger sis get made up there. My younger DD who is almost 9 would love to go again and went when she was 7. I say just ask your DD if she wants to go. If she says yes, then go for it.

I think it depends upon your DD. I know that my older DD by the age of 8 wouldn't have been caught dead in BBB. :rolleyes: When she was 10 she could barely stand to watch her younger sis get made up there. My younger DD who is almost 9 would love to go again and went when she was 7. I say just ask your DD if she wants to go. If she says yes, then go for it.

At 8 my daughter wouldn't have been caught dead there either! Also there is no way at 8 years old she would have wanted to be in a matching outfit with a 2 year old brother- why not just ask your daughter how she feels about both of those things.

Exactly!
She's 8 - she has opinions.
And for goodness sakes please let the girl decide what she wants to wear.

I guess it depends on the kid. Our first time at BBB my girls were 12, 7 and 4. My oldest, though not at all a girlie girl, wanted to go to experience it with her sisters. She had a great time, they all did. The next time she did not go, the other 2 were 9 and 6, both very girlie. They loved it once again. This year they will be 11 and 8 and would love to go again but it is not in the plans (budget wise,) though they may decide to go and pay for it themselves. So, I wasn't much help but maybe make the appointment for sometimes during the trip and see if she is interested. If not, you have 24 or 48 hours (can't remember)ahead of time to cancel.

We are going in March and my 5yr.old will be doing BBB in a Belle dress and my 15 yr. old (who loves the hair/makeup) will be doing a pop princess with her own dressy shirt /capris we bought for this. Sorta rock star look. They don't have to wear a Disney princess dress. We had fun in the mall picking the clothes already, gotta love that pre-trip excitement! Maybe this would be an option for some of your older girls...

Exactly!
She's 8 - she has opinions.
And for goodness sakes please let the girl decide what she wants to wear.

I agree! Even if she doesn't want the custom outfit, maybe you two can have fun picking out an outfit that she wants from disney store or other places that have clothing for her age. She would probably enjoy having the input!

Also, as far as BBB, I would ask her if she wants to do it. That's a lot of money/time to spend on something if she doesn't really want it. Show her the pictures, etc. from the last time so she can decide.

Have a great trip!

I agree. Even in Disney my 6 yr old DD scoffed at the idea of wearing matching clothes

Dniece loved going to BBB at age 10. We were going to the Halloween party later in the day, and she had a medival princess dress (non-Disney). It was a surprise for her, and she was so happy. She got her hair done up in the bun style, with the basic make up and nails. It made her feel very special. (she had been very worried about how to fix her hair up for the Halloween party, and i already had the reservations).

In terms of clothes, we did tend to stick with matching color themes - i.e., all red t-shirts one day, or all green the next, etc. It just made it easier to keep track of everyone, and the kids were fine with it.

Now, if we we tried with her at age 14 to do the same, I know it would be a disaster.

Of course, I'm also the Aunt, not the mom. So I know if I suggest something there's a much better chance of her agreeing than she would with her own parents.

We were there when my dd was 8. No way would she want to wear matching outfits. We had matching t-shirts for our first day in MK but after that, everyone had their own disney themed shirts. She had a few characters but most were outfits she picked from the Hannah Montana and Camp Rock line. They didn't have pics of characters on them....just really cute clothes.

I might have been able to convince her to do BBB if it were just a few braids, nails and a little makeup but the LAST thing she'd want to do is look like a princess.

I agree with the others about asking her. She can tell you better than we can, for sure.

Sorry, but I can't imagine an 8 yr old who wants to dress like her 2 yr old brother.

Ask her what she wants to do.

Thanks everyone. I normally would ask her BUT this is a surprise trip and she has no idea we are going for spring break:rotfl: I guess I should have clarified on the matching outfits - I was thinking of using the same fabric but making age appropriate clothing for them - I wouldn't want to match with my little brother either!! Has anyone tried the MK Barber shop for girls? I was thinking she might like that a little more than BBB but wasn't sure if it was more of a boy thing.

My niece was seven last fall, and she begged me for custom outfits. I'm not a seamstress AT ALL, but I put together some tutus, a couple pillowcase dresses and lots of bows. She loved it and all the attention she received. She still wears some of her customs to school (the ones that were adaptable to cold weather).

As far as matching, we did matching tie-dyes one day, but the kids had non-matching customs the rest of the time. I imagine she'll still want all the fuss this year, too.

She hasn't ever asked about BBB, but she'd probably enjoy it or the PL.

I agree with the PP who said what's cool at Disney is totally different from cool at home. :laughing:

Maybe tell her you're helping a friend plan a trip. That friend might happen to have an eight year old daughter, and you were wondering if your daughter thinks she would like BBB? ;)

You book BBB and let her decide when you get there if she is interested or not. We have seen girls of all ages getting done up at BBB. If she doesn't want to do it, just cancel the appointment.

Yep, Hannah is going out, Selena and Demi are coming in! I still make things for DD (she will be 8 in April). I think it all depends on your DD. Isabelle would do BBB again, maybe without a princess dress, they have a pop star look. There is the Pirates Leauge, too. Both of your kids could maybe do that together! I hope next year, when DD is 9 :scared: that she will still wear some customs so I can make matching things for her and the new baby. I loved doing it in 2007 with my son, Levi and her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter