• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How old for first trip?

My older DD was 5 months on her first trip (and also went at 11 mo., 15 mo., 23 mo., and 2 y 3 mo.). My younger DD had her first trip when she was 4 mo. (and went again at 9 mo., 17 mo. (DL), etc.) IMO, unless it is a once in a lifetime trip, there is no such thing as too young for WDW. (Though I prob. wouldn't take a child younger than 3 mo. due to the need for constant feeding etc.)

DS was just over 2 yo for his first trip and DD was about 18 months. Even if they don't remember their first trip you will, and you can video tape and take pictures. As many others have pointed out, how you kid(s) handle it depends on both the parents and children. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself in for (research it and be prepared). Also know that going into it, at some point in the trip you yourself will turn into "that parent". You know the one standing in the middle of a park frustrated with your child because they want to do something you do not (or don't want to do something you do). Go into it with a plan, but you need to be flexible. I can not stress how important it is to be flexible.

We took DS when he was 2 (well he turned 2 at disney :thumbsup2) he is now seven (we went when he was 4 too) he still talks about thing we did when he was two :cool1:. Take a lot of photos it is fun looking back at the photos with them and they will tell you everything that they did :thumbsup2

We took our son for the 1st time at 3.5 months, he loved looking at the colors and lights on the rides! He went again at 9 months and we will be taking him again at 16 months. You are never too young to enjoy WDW!! :)

Before I had kids I very firmly believed that I wouldn't take my kids until they were old enough to pay for some of it! But, that was before I actually went to Disney (first went when I was 22). Now we've taken DD1 when she was 13 months, DD1 and 2 when they were 3 years and 6 months, and on our next trip they'll be 4 and almost 2. They've done great on all of the trips! I think it's great for them when they're young, after all almost everything there is geared toward young children. And the characters flip for young kids.

The bottom line is, when do you want to go?

I was 5 the first time I went. I'm not sure what I remember specifically from that trip as opposed to other trips since I've been so many times, but I do specifically remember meeting Mary Poppins on that first trip and it was the most amazing moment of my five-year-old life. I really thought it was her. I had a blast.

Like other people have said it depends on the kid, but it also depends on the parents too. For us we thought 5 was the perfect age for a first trip. Don't have to deal with diapers, old enough to not need naps, totally into all the characters and the rides.

We also didn't tell her we were going until that morning when we woke her up at 4 am to tell her to get dressed because we are going to Disney World today. I'll always remember that and I know she will too.

One of my son's was just a few months over 2 for his first trip. it was our most magical trip. He thought it was great. Loved the rides and the characters.

Then we took my 3rd son for his first trip at 6 mths. He also had a wonderful time. Loved the characters and squealed with delight when they came near him.

I honestly think it just depends on the child and the parents. I don't think any age is too young or old for disney!!

Like other people have said it depends on the kid, but it also depends on the parents too. QUOTE]

I must agree with THAT, also. We are grandparents...51 and 66..and, frankly, I no longer have the patience to lug around a whole 'houseful' of baby equipment when I go someplace nor am I still in the baby/toddler groove. I'm just too darn old for that.

OH and here is a few pictures and a little video clip of my son dancing with the characters. He was 2 yrs 4 mths to be exact. Honestly it was our most magical trip b/c he just loved it all!!

DSC_0045-1.jpg

Hands up and ready to ride the roller coaster!
DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4dWaht2WY

On our first trip one was 5 & one was 2 and we had a ball. Now I am looking forward to grandchildren in a few years, and I will take them around 2 years old also. Maybe before, but for sure by the time they are two. :lovestruc It's just such a fun age.:goodvibes

I think any age is a good age.

We took DD to DL when she was 13 mos.

We took her to WDW when she was 3 and DS was 15 mos.

We also took them to WDW when they were 4 & 2, and again when they were 6 & 4.

Then, baby #3 came along. On his first trip to WDW, he was 5 mos. The older kids were 7 & 5.

The "baby" is now 3 and has been to WDW 5 times. :thumbsup2

I posted before about when I took my kids the first time. I wanted to clarify why we have chosen to take our kids to Disney at such young ages.

#1--We LOVE disney! (Quel surprise?! :laughing:) And it's a Family vacation afterall and shouldn't we get to enjoy ourselves too.

#2--Where else can you take children that young that they don't spend their entire day in a stroller waiting? Almost EVERY other amusement park/entertainment venue is going to have a small kids area and then nothing else for them to do. So they sit and wait while Mommy & Daddy ride. While we did not take DD on every single ride in May, there were things she could participate in throughout each park throughout each day.

I don't expect a 4 1/2 month old (or even at 9 months) to remember a trip or even a piece of it but you would be surprised what a 1+ year old can and will remember. Our DS could lead you around Disney by age 3.

My first trip to WDW as an adult was our first WDW family vacation. My daughter was 2 yr 7 mo at the time, and she had a blast! Her favorite character was Chicken Little, that was her favorite movie at the time and when she saw him across the way, she went crazy! She doesn't remember everything, but still surprises me with what she remembers specifically from that trip (we've been back every year since!). She does still remember that she does NOT like "It's Tough Being a Bug" and why- the water that's sprayed at the audience. Her second trip she would not ride Haunted Mansion because it scared her the first time, though she did ride it last year! Last year was my son's first trip, and he was 7 mo. I'm certain he won't remember a thing, but he had so much fun. He LOVES characters! That was his big highlight and we have a lot of great photos of him grabbing ahold of characters and loving on them. He even cut his first tooth while we were there- but we got very lucky because he was an easy teether.
I don't think there's too young an age to take a kid to WDW, but there can be wrong times within every age and stage- and all of that comes down to personal preference, both the parents' and the child's.

My son's first trip was at 11 months and he was so easy to deal with! He was a happy go lucky baby who would sleep anywhere and feeding him was a breeze. He was so fascinated by everything which was a joy for me to watch. He was not screaming or driving me mad because I didn't expect anything more of him than what I dealt with at home. Someone once said that a vacation doesn't mean your kids are going to stop being kids. I realize I was lucky to have an even tempered and patient baby.

We went back when he was 16 months and it was a bit more trying because he didn't nap as well in the stroller so we had to take greater care to make sure we were operating on his schedule. And sit down meals were challenging when he hadn't napped well. But his reactions to rides were even better.

We're taking him back in a couple of weeks at 23 months and now that he is eating all table foods, cares less about naps and is Mr. Independent I think this will be the most challenging trip but we're prepared to work around his schedule and to not expect miracles. He's still a toddler.

I will say that the trips when he was a baby were more for us than for him. Since I know we'll be going to WDW a lot I wasn't worried about him remembering everything. The pictures, however, are priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter