• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How often is a private table request not fulfilled?

I think one factor is how many people in your party. For instance if you are 4 people than it might be more likely that you will get the private table as the smallest table top is for 4. You will not know if your request was fulfilled until you actually go to dinner the first night. Even if at the time you boarded the ship the request was fulfilled it could change as other guests request dinner time changes, especially from late to early seating once they are on board. There is a station where guests can request changes to dinner seating when on board and if you currently have a private table the Head Waiters at that station can put another couple or more with you. Even if you go to check if your request was honored on embarkment day, it could change before your dinner seating.

We are just two people. We have taken 16 cruises and we got the private table every time we requested it except for the last cruise this past September on the Wish. We got a notice through the DCL app that due to the ship being full our request could not be filled. The first night we were in Palo's so we didn't bother with the message. The next day we went to the dinning room that was open for lunch and spoke to the head waiter to ask how many people we were sitting with and it turned out to be 6. He said he would see what he could do and later that day we got a message with a new table number for a private table.

The strange thing in out case was that because it was an early September cruise there was very few children on board so most cabins were just two adults. In fact our Head Waiter mentioned that the ship was only about 65% full. I am thinking that it has something to do with the Wish design as the MDR tables seem to be closer together than on the Magic and Dream class ships.
The past two cruises, we have sailed Platinum. On a very full, and probably sold out Wish cruise at the end of July, I was not given the requested private table for 3. I made my way down to try and get one, because we have always had the request fulfilled. Honestly, I do think they look at your membership status. I was put on what appeared to be a long wait list, but when I refreshed my app after the drill…my private dining had appeared. After dining for the first time on the Wish, I felt that the private tables are few. Those dining rooms are very crowded. And even if you do ask for a private table, expect for it to be 6 inches from the table next to you. That was ok with me though, any separation at all was preferred and no complaints.

How do you know if your request for a private dining table has been fulfilled or not? Do you have to go to the dining services on board to check or can you tell on the app?

I believe this last time, I knew by looking at the app how many would be seated at the table. I have also, in the past, went directly to the dining room that was assigned and viewed my table personally before heading to get it switched. But it doesn’t hurt to head down to dining services just to confirm.

If you have linked reservations and you select private table in the app, is that indicating a private table with all linked parties? Just double checking since there doesn't seem to be a way to specify.

I hadn't heard of anyone requesting a private table and not gotten the request. We've always requested it and always gotten it. But I just watched a vlog of the Wish and the couple was sat with other couples even though they'd requested private. Was just curious if it happens more often on the wish or not necessarily.
We've been on 2 cruises, just 2 adults. This past September (Wish) and last September (Dream). Both times I requested a private table and was not granted it. We were seated with other couples.

How do you know if your request for a private dining table has been fulfilled or not? Do you have to go to the dining services on board to check or can you tell on the app?

I believe this last time, I knew by looking at the app how many would be seated at the table. I have also, in the past, went directly to the dining room that was assigned and viewed my table personally before heading to get it switched. But it doesn’t hurt to head down to dining services just to confirm.
The information on table size was not listed in the app for our Magic cruise last month. So, it was not possible to tell how many people would be sitting at our table. If @Cruisinonlydisney was able to see this, it might be something new that they have added, or it might be available on some of the other ships. From our experience, you would need to go to the dining services location to check.

The app only shows the table number, not how many sitting at the table. On our last cruise this past Sept on the Wish we got a message from DCL though the app that we did not get a private table. This was the first time we did not get our request for a private table so do not know if that was normal procedure. That was the only way we knew in advance of showing up for dinner. We stopped in one of the MDRs and luckily spoke to a head water who was able get us private table.

Our first two cruises we shared a table. The second cruise produced a spouse in job competition with my husband. Really weird. The rest of the table must have realized it also because next two seatings we were separated by our other table mates. Our third cruise we asked, and received, a table for 2 but I noticed we were always in a corner. So the next cruise we didn't request and were seated at a 8 top with two couples who never showed and a couple of girls that seemed extremely nervous - spilt drinks, jumping up to leave without paying the beverage guy, and then not showing up. Wish was an odd with wait staff always plopping our plates over our shoulders without warning, which was startling. The last couple of cruises we were with family. We've a cruise booked for February '24. If we sail alone we gonna request a table for 2. Really, we'd just rather forgo the TS dinners. They've a lot of loud background noise and we both have trouble hearing in that situation.
Yes, they are loud, especially Animator's Palate, I can't hear in there at all.

I wish there was an option to indicate no MDR selection or no evening TS. One of these days we'll go to breakfast but DH doesn't care for TS at all and to sit in a loud room, especially in the AM, isn't appealing. I wish the sound dampening was better.

I wish there was an option to indicate no MDR selection or no evening TS. One of these days we'll go to breakfast but DH doesn't care for TS at all and to sit in a loud room, especially in the AM, isn't appealing. I wish the sound dampening was better.
Eating breakfast or lunch in the MDR isn't as noisy as the dinner service. The big issue with noise at dinner is the idea that we have to have some show with dinner. And the sound is turned way up to insure that everyone can hear it over the other "normal" sounds that a dining room would have (like private conversations, and silverware clicking).

We debarked Wish yesterday. I'd requested a private table for DW & myself beforehand; for the previous 20-odd cruises we'd had the request granted. Around 2-ish on embark day, got a text via the app saying too bad, so sad, no private table for you. We hustled down to Luna where I begged, cajoled and promised our next kid. Around 4:30 our table number changed in the app indicating our private table (second?) request had been granted. It was evident, especially in 1923, that our new table (104) had been wedged in, but hey, we got it. DW has significant introversion and gets super aggressive and hostile in crowds, so the private table is pretty much a must for us.

We just returned from the Dream. We are a party of 3 and requested a private table and we did not get that granted. We were seated with a family of 5.

We just returned from the Dream. We are a party of 3 and requested a private table and we did not get that granted. We were seated with a family of 5.
How did that work out for your family? Was it overall a positive or a negative?

On the Wish, last May, 1st seating, party of 2. We requested a private table due to a life threatening allergy. I didn't want to risk someone eating one of my allergens with their fingers and then passing the salt shaker to me, which would mean I end up wheezing or with hives. We didn't get our request *and* the serving staff told us they had never been informed of my allergies. My travel agent did nothing to help, didn't address where the allergy info got dropped, and repeated the private tables are always a request, never guaranteed mantra. So yeah, not getting the request happens.

We've had a private table for 3 on 4 of 5 Disney cruises. On the 5th cruise, we had a private table assigned but it was changed in between boarding and dinner the 1st night. The head server, after a little going back and forth with us, moved us to a private table. Maybe just us, but dining is not where I want to meet strangers. Many years ago, on our honeymoon, we went on a Big Red Boat cruise and were sat with a couple in their 80's. The few times we talked, they were nice enough, but, it was very awkward. After 5 Disney cruises, we would be fine not eating in the main dining room every night if we didn't get a private table.

I wonder If the addition of the table request on the website is creating a situation where more people ask than ever before and they just can’t accommodate everyone who requests this anymore. Like people who never would have requested a private table now can do so easily.

We've had a private table for 3 on 4 of 5 Disney cruises. On the 5th cruise, we had a private table assigned but it was changed in between boarding and dinner the 1st night. The head server, after a little going back and forth with us, moved us to a private table. Maybe just us, but dining is not where I want to meet strangers. Many years ago, on our honeymoon, we went on a Big Red Boat cruise and were sat with a couple in their 80's. The few times we talked, they were nice enough, but, it was very awkward. After 5 Disney cruises, we would be fine not eating in the main dining room every night if we didn't get a private table.
My family is not the sociable type either. If we do end up sharing a table with another family, we will likely still eat at MDRs, but there will be no interaction with the other family (We certainly won't do anything annoying). Maybe they will feel awkward enough to stop dining with us!🤣

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter