• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How often do CPers stay for a lifetime career?

HFBelle

Earning My Ears
I've heard a few stories of people staying to continue a career at WDW/DL. How often does this sort of thing happen, and how likely is it to be able to move up and work full-time? I won't be able to apply for a CP for a couple more years, but I' considering eventually making a career out of it. I've been a Disney fan for as long as I can remember, and I really can see myself working with the company. I just love Disney magic. :wizard:

If you're thinking of a career with Disney, my advice to you is to finish school, then pursue it. Do the CP, then go back and finish then come back to Disney, or do the CP the semester after you graduate, whichever you prefer, but that way you have a backup if Disney doesn't work out for you.

I started as a CP in Fall 2004, after having graduated that past May. I've been with Disney ever since. Going full time wasn't difficult, I just went to Casting a few weeks before the end of my program, and put in a transfer application. There was a gap of about 5 weeks from when my program ended until I got a full time position, but I was part time in the area I had worked as a CP, so I still was working.

I've worked in several front-line hourly roles in parks and also resorts, none of them related to my degree. (BS in Information Mgmt & Technology). Recently, I've been on an Office & Technical TA in a role that's more closely related to my field, and I've been thinking about trying to move back in that direction. Moving from an hourly role back into more of a professional role is not terribly common, and compared to the number of CPs that stay in front-line hourly roles, the number who migrate to professional roles is comparatively small.

Hi! As a former CPer and hopefully future CP, I can tell you many CPs will stay on with Disney. They will quit school and stay in Orlando and hopefully try to get full time status, which is hard.

I recently graduated college and I am going to apply for the Spring 2013 program.

My advice to you is to finish high school, start college, and then do a CP when you are a sophomore or junior. Then you can do a Professional Internship before you graduate and hopefully upon graduation you can stay at Disney.

Hope that helps! :)

Oh, without a doubt I would finish college. haven't even considered otherwise! I plan on applying First semester of my junior year, and then coming back to school.

When my DD was doing her CP, we were lucky enought to visit several times, and when I was in the parks, I made it a point to chat with every CM I could (CP and regular employees), to thank them for all their hard work. I thought it was very interesting that quite a few of the full time CM's told me that they started as CP. I would say at least 3/4 of the CM's I talked to were either CP or PI. And I'm not surprised. My DD will graduate from college next June, and she's already making plans to return to her Mousey Overlord for good after that.

Good thing I like travel ;)!

KC:car:

I stayed on after my last CP (been FT for 2 years now). I love being at Disney

If I eventually wanted a professional (non hourly) career with Disney what's the best way to go about getting it? I'm assuming it's start somewhere in the company as hourly and work my way up?

Quite a few stay on as Cast members. Definitely FT is what they try for. It is essential to finish College first though. Just in case Disney does not work out, something to fall back on. Disney is a very fun job, but just realize that you will not get a lot of money working there. Even managers are just making about 24k. Its only when you get to Area Manager level when you start making some good money. There is very little upward motion in the company, so it is highly unlikely you will get to Area Manager, so just realize that you don't work at Disney to make money. Not to be discouraging, I love working for Disney, but this is just what you need to know.

I'm another one of those CPers that stayed around.

If your question is... how many CPs stay with Disney, the percentage is pretty small. Especially considering that the CP has more than 6,000 participants at any given time.

But if your question is... how many CMs started out on the CP, then the percentage is much larger! I would say, from my experience, about half of CMs were CPs first.

Here is my path, just under 4 years:

CP - PI - FT (Merch) - TA O&T - TA Salaried Consultant - TA Leader - FT Leader

As for the money, anyone in the hourly role (either front line or O&T) are not there to make money. They love making magic or they are trying to work their way up.

I'm a new Manager (so on the lower end of the pay scale) and my salary is quite comparable to what I'd be making with my degree. Granted, my Masters is in Education, so not really a field that makes much money anyway. The 24K guess above is very low. DH and I live very comfortably and both work for the Mouse.

On another note - some hourly roles do make more than their Managers. A good friend of mine was well trained in his area, so was extended a lot, came in early the next morning, and essentially lived on OT and Double Back. He was promoted to Manager, where he spent a couple months, but then stepped down because he needed the extra OT income. He works a lot more hours than I do, but in turn does make more at the end of the week.

I'm another one of those CPers that stayed around.

If your question is... how many CPs stay with Disney, the percentage is pretty small. Especially considering that the CP has more than 6,000 participants at any given time.

But if your question is... how many CMs started out on the CP, then the percentage is much larger! I would say, from my experience, about half of CMs were CPs first.

Here is my path, just under 4 years:

CP - PI - FT (Merch) - TA O&T - TA Salaried Consultant - TA Leader - FT Leader

As for the money, anyone in the hourly role (either front line or O&T) are not there to make money. They love making magic or they are trying to work their way up.

I'm a new Manager (so on the lower end of the pay scale) and my salary is quite comparable to what I'd be making with my degree. Granted, my Masters is in Education, so not really a field that makes much money anyway. The 24K guess above is very low. DH and I live very comfortably and both work for the Mouse.

On another note - some hourly roles do make more than their Managers. A good friend of mine was well trained in his area, so was extended a lot, came in early the next morning, and essentially lived on OT and Double Back. He was promoted to Manager, where he spent a couple months, but then stepped down because he needed the extra OT income. He works a lot more hours than I do, but in turn does make more at the end of the week.

Thanks so much! It's nice to hear something from first hand experience.
I'm planning on being a Musical Theatre Major, so I basically have little direction. I don't really know quite what I want to do with my life yet, but I do love Disney, and one of my biggest traits is that I like making other people happy. (But not in the bad people pleasing sense...) So creating Disney magic sounds like a great career! I'll audition for character performer, but if I don't get it, I'll be extremely happy with a few other things as well. Thank you for your input! It's nice to know that CPs can end up with the company FT. :)

Thanks so much! It's nice to hear something from first hand experience.
I'm planning on being a Musical Theatre Major, so I basically have little direction. I don't really know quite what I want to do with my life yet, but I do love Disney, and one of my biggest traits is that I like making other people happy. (But not in the bad people pleasing sense...) So creating Disney magic sounds like a great career! I'll audition for character performer, but if I don't get it, I'll be extremely happy with a few other things as well. Thank you for your input! It's nice to know that CPs can end up with the company FT. :)

One of my very best friends was a Theater Major. We both worked for the Disney Stores - hourly. She moved to Florida when the stores were sold to hoops retail and was cast in merchandise over at the All-Star Sports. She worked the pin cart outside. After having been there only 3 months, she was asked to post for a manager role in merchandising that was opening up and got it. A little over a year later she was promoted to manager for Photopass first at DAK, then at MK and then back at DAK. She then was promoted to Entertainment Operations Manager. At the end of May she changed to a project manager for Photo Imaging and will be working out of Celebration.

While she didn't start out as a CP, she did start as an hourly and quickly moved up. I think that the opportunity is there if you are willing to work a lot, give it your all and exceed expectations. She didn't plan on working with Photo Imaging/Photopass but ended up loving it and is happy to be back in that area.

It can be done.

Off the top of my head I can only think of one person that I know who didn't end up working for Disney after their college program. A few went back to finish their degrees and then immediately returned, but most transferred to UCF and stayed in Orlando.

what about business majors, who do the CP and want to come back after they graduate with a position involving business? is that common?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter