How Not To Do Disney With A One Year Old - Update 4/17

Bless your heart!!!!! That absolutely sucks! :hug: I'm so glad that you were able to get to Tifton without any issues. And if it was food poisoning, then how would the hotel manager know? I mean, you didn't eat at the resort- you ate at a park restuarant. :confused3

Oh wow you finished! :goodvibes I'm so sorry to hear about you all getting so sick. That's just terrible. Thankfully you WERE within driving distance to home, though I can't even imagine how sad that drive home must have been. I hope you can take a do over trip.

How did Alex do at Coral Reef?

:sad2:

I am so sorry that this is how your trip turned out. How short did you cut it? I have had some one get sick each trip almost and it isn't fun... we fly though so we have always had to just ride it out with the sick person just staying in the room. ds was the this last trip.. with projectile and both ends (sorry tmi) He spent most of the day in the room.... then a couple days later dh said he had it ( I never witnessed him throwing up though) trip before that it was my mom in the middle of the night... but i think that was dehydration and heat. time before that it was dh the night before we were checking out and it was like non stop and violent all night. i was so scared that one of the rest of us would come down with it while on the flight.

so.. i know how bad it sucks... but also can appreciate how there can be a lot of good moments despite it.

:hug:

Only by 2 days. So we didn't miss out on a ton but MK and some ADR's. We skipped a lot of MK our first day because Alex was so sick and we kept saying "oh we'll be back on Friday". I'm so sorry you've had someone sick on all your trips. :sad2: So far it's only happened to us on two of our trips but this was the first time going with our son so I'm sure we'll have more sick trips in our future. Just hopefully not as bad as this. We would have stayed had me and DH not gotten sick as well. That was the real kicker.

What a bad ending to a trip! I can't believe your husband was well enough to drive. I can understand the dizziness. I once had a really bad stomach virus and passed out twice within a few minutes and had to go the ER. You probably both were really dehydrated. At least you were able to get home the next day. Did you get any money refunded?

Yeah I can't either. I was nervous letting him but he was certain he was ok. Ugh that stinks. Yeah we probably were dehydrated for sure. I don't think DH really needed to go to the ER but he tends to overreact a bit when he's not feeling well. Yes we got the last 2 nights refunded and they gave us a couple days worth of park tickets to use when we come back.

WOW, Epcot was so empty. I am glad you got to enjoy some of that and got some great pics of Alex with the characters.

The picture with Baloo is awesome.

That was such a good idea to get vinylmation signed

Such a shame you all ended up getting sick.

I am glad you all made it home safely

I hope getting it all written out makes you feel better

:goodvibes

Thanks girl. Me too.

Yeah it was :( Me too! I guess it did.....I don't know. I'm just trying to move past it and look forward to planning next year's trip.

Oh Jeez, I am so sorry!!:( What a disappointing way to end your trip. I hope after you got home, your stomachs settled down. Really how would you know if it was food poisoning or not? Maybe??

Thank you very much. It took me a few days to get back to full health but I eventually got there. I went to the doctor the day after we got home and got some meds. And yeah, there's absolutely no way to tell if it was food poisoning or not. I have told DH many times that I'm certain I caught whatever Alex had but he doesn't think so. I mean, come on, I had a fever and was throwing up. Same exact as Alex. Sheesh. I think DH was just stressed to the max and had an upset stomach which is probably why he had the panic attack.

Oh, Carla, how awful. :( When I started reading the update, I was thinking to myself, "Well, that sounds like a nice day at Epcot, what could go wrong?" Then I got to the end! So so sorry that your trip had to end that way, especially after all of the planning and excitement. Hopefully whenever you take your re-do trip, it will be a MUCH better and more magical experience! Thanks for sharing, even though the last thing you probably wanted to do after a trip like that was share it again in a TR. It was nice to see that despite all of that, Alex had a few great moments in WDW!

Yeah IKR?? All day I was SO HAPPY to be having such a wonderful day finally. And then BAM. Ugh :( Thank you. I really hope that you are right. Aww thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it despite all the sickie talk haha. It was hard for me to relive everything while writing it but it was therapeutic in a way too. I'm not sure anyone will ever read another one of my TR's again lol!

such a crappy ending :( I'm really glad you have a friend like Becca that could come to your rescue. I was SHOCKED that Chris managed to drive (more than?) halfway home...yikes!

Hope your next trip is a MUCH, MUCH better experience!

OMG you have NO idea how thankful I was to have her there. I thanked her a million times. I just couldn't take care of myself, let alone Chris and Alex so I was so so so glad to have her there. She's the best! And yeah, that was rough for him but I'm thankful that he was able to do it. Thanks girl. I really hope so too. If it sucks again I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to convince Chris to go back.

Bless your heart!!!!! That absolutely sucks! :hug: I'm so glad that you were able to get to Tifton without any issues. And if it was food poisoning, then how would the hotel manager know? I mean, you didn't eat at the resort- you ate at a park restuarant. :confused3

Yeah that's what we kept wondering too but he said that if it was food poisoning that other guests would be having issues at the resort too. IDK. Either way it sucked LOL. I don't even know if it was food poisoning. All I know is that I felt like I was going to die

Oh wow you finished! :goodvibes I'm so sorry to hear about you all getting so sick. That's just terrible. Thankfully you WERE within driving distance to home, though I can't even imagine how sad that drive home must have been. I hope you can take a do over trip.

How did Alex do at Coral Reef?

Thanks girl! Yeah I'm so glad that we were w/in driving distance even though that seemed like the longest drive home ever. Thank you. I do plan on it.

He did wonderfully! He had fun flerting with our waitress and making her/us laugh. He couldn't see the fish from where we were sitting though. Oh well.

Thanks girl! Yeah I'm so glad that we were w/in driving distance even though that seemed like the longest drive home ever. Thank you. I do plan on it.

He did wonderfully! He had fun flerting with our waitress and making her/us laugh. He couldn't see the fish from where we were sitting though. Oh well.

I can't imagine doing all that planning - the PTR and everything - just to have your trip go like that. How was everyone feeling after being home for a day? Do you wish you'd stayed, maybe just had a relaxing day at the hotel? Or were you thrilled to get home (I'm sure that is it since who wants to be sick in an unfamiliar place?). What did your DH think of Disney - does he have enough happy memories to be okay with you planning another trip back?

I hope you stick around the DIS, maybe plan a trip for 2013?! :goodvibes

I can't imagine doing all that planning - the PTR and everything - just to have your trip go like that. How was everyone feeling after being home for a day? Do you wish you'd stayed, maybe just had a relaxing day at the hotel? Or were you thrilled to get home (I'm sure that is it since who wants to be sick in an unfamiliar place?). What did your DH think of Disney - does he have enough happy memories to be okay with you planning another trip back?

I hope you stick around the DIS, maybe plan a trip for 2013?! :goodvibes

Yeah it was the pits. I felt SO guilty for planning the trip and then we all got so sick and were miserable on the trip. I felt like I forced it or something even though I know I couldn't have controlled what happened even if I had tried. By the time we got home DH was better. Alex was better. But I was still VERY sick. I still had a temp over 101. I think it was 103 when we got home. My Mom had made me some home made chicken noodle soup. I ate some of the broth and then puked it back up a few min later. I was so so so sad about our trip and having to leave early but omg I was SO happy to be home and have my Mommy around to take care of me. When I got sick I called my Mom and told her what was going on after DH went to the hospital and I bawled to her and said "I just want/need you to be here so bad." I just felt SO helpless. DH was at the ER and I couldn't go with him because I was so sick and someone had to stay with Alex. Ugh it was so awful. So I guess I was sad and happy to be home at the same time. DH has been flipping off the TV every time a Disney commercial comes on but I keep reminding him of ALL the very magical trips we've taken and he stops. I know he still loves it and he's totally on board for taking Alex for his birthday next year. We've already talked about what resort to stay at and all of that. We even thought about doing a Disney cruise too but we decided against that since everyone got so sick this time and that would be the absolute worst on a cruise. So we decided that would be better if we wait till Alex is in school or something. I need to change my ticker. We both LOVE Disney at Christmas time so I think we're both really looking forward to the next trip. I will definitely be staying around here. I want to read your TR and keep up with you and khertz. I've made some good new friends through this PTR and joining other TR's/PTR's so I'm not going anywhere. I've just been scarce lately. This year hasn't really been that great so far and we're still TTC baby #2 so I've been in my own little world.

I'm sad your trip turned out so poorly with everyone getting sick, but if you hadn't told me I would never know any differently - your pictures look great and everyone seems to be in good spirits!

Questions:
Did you do a crib or pack n play?
Where did you get your placemants (disposable I assume?)
How did you find the high chairs at the different restaurants? My son will be just 8 months, but those large wooden restaurant highchairs do NOT work well for him.
Did you find there were places in the parks where you could set your son down (grass?) where he could crawl around and stretch out?

I'm sad your trip turned out so poorly with everyone getting sick, but if you hadn't told me I would never know any differently - your pictures look great and everyone seems to be in good spirits!

Questions:
Did you do a crib or pack n play?
Where did you get your placemants (disposable I assume?)
How did you find the high chairs at the different restaurants? My son will be just 8 months, but those large wooden restaurant highchairs do NOT work well for him.
Did you find there were places in the parks where you could set your son down (grass?) where he could crawl around and stretch out?

Aww you're so sweet. Thank you. We did try to make the best of it.

We did take a Pack n Play. We tried to use it the first night but Alex refused to sleep in it. In the room the first night DH and I had a King sized bed so Alex slept in between us. In the room at Disney we had 2 queens so DH slept on one bed and I shared the other with Alex. We just had the hotel bring us one of those bed rails so Alex wouldn't fall off. The rail was strange and left a gap between the bed and the rail that Alex could still get into so I shoved extra pillows down in there and that seemed to solve the problem. He actually slept really well on the bed with us.

Place mats I got at Babies R Us. And yes they are disposable. Best invention ever! They sell them at Walmart and Target now but the packages at Babies R Us have more to a package. 18 I think when the ones at Walmart and Target only have 10.

The high chairs at counter service places were usually by the door where you walk in or close to where the tables are. They're all the plastic ones you see in my pictures. Not the big wooden ones that they have at regular restaurants. I really liked those high chairs. Maybe you could try getting one of those cart covers that also doubles as a high chair cover? The Disney high chairs aren't bad but maybe if he has a problem in those as well as the wooden ones that might help. Or maybe you could look into getting one of those traveling boosters that attach to the table. KWIM?

As far as places for Alex to get out and play or walk around....there really isn't a lot of places for young babies to do that unfortunately. Not a lot of places with just grass unless you're at EPCOT. Alex didn't seem to mind being mostly in his stroller though. He was in and out of it a ton between rides and meals. Do you have a baby bjorn or a carrier of sorts? Maybe you could take that along with you too since your son will only be 8 months to get him out of the stroller for a while some times. I did that with Alex on our Pensacola trip last year when he was 9 months old and he loved the carrier!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter