How Much?!!!!

If they only got through 2-3 houses, they didn't stay to the end and they didn't enter near the beginning - even at 90min waits, from 6:30pm-2am that's more than 3 houses, plus the wait times plummet in the morning hours. Maybe they chose to spend time doing the shows, scare zones, specialty foods, leaving early?

The more EP costs, the fewer buy it, and the better the standby lines move. Also, the EP prices have already been raised at least once, the earlier you buy them the cheaper they are.

I understand what you are saying. I am not unreasonable, but they are taking advantage of people. If they charge $80 for a ticket, and you only get into 2-3 haunted houses the whole night due to long lines, they are making out like bandits. To then charge an additional $140 to get to the front of the line ONE time per house is again being greedy. Just my opinion, obviously. By the way, we aren't going! If others would take a stand, maybe this crap would end.
The first time I went, I was unprepared, I didn't have a plan and only did 5 houses, yet I was hooked.
Last time I went in 2019. Following a touring plan I was able to do all houses in one night without Express. At the end of the night I wished I was a real zombie, so I wouldn't feel the pain in knees and feet for all the walking and standing in line 😄
This time I bought the rush of fear pass with Express, which cost me a kidney, but it is a good investment as I have 2 and I should be able to go 10 times, at about $60 per night.

There are all sorts of tickets, tours and passes. If it's not worth the price, choose something else. If too many people choose so, Universal will have to lower the prices.

If anything, I am afraid it might be too cheap, especially the passes.

ETA: a corporation takes advantage of people when they sell necessary goods or services for inflated prices to people who cannot afford to say no.
Profiting over the price of insulin, for example, and lobbying to avoid import of cheaper options is taking advantage of people.
HHN are nowhere near necessary, if they're too expensive, there are millions of other ways to spend vacation money.

Last edited:
I hit all the houses in one night w/ no EP - also agree w/ @zavandor that it is a whole lot of walking, standing, lines, etc. We skipped shows & rides & only stopped for a brief snack & restroom breaks. We wandered through the scare zones, but didn't linger. That was using Stay & Scream poorly, ate dinner then didn't get into the first house line until they started moving - so we were at the end of that line, then got into the line for the 2nd house as it was already ballooned from everyone who had been in the first line ahead of us... not a good strategy. Lines drop significantly in the last hour. The last house we did with no one in line with us & didn't see anyone else in the house (which was particularly awesome to go through alone). We got Cinnabon at 1:57am right as they closed up, so I know we left just before 2am.

So, it is possible to hit all the houses w/o EP. It is a long night and you are skipping things. We're attempting to do the same thing this year, with better strategy. I'd rather buy a 2nd night than spend even more on EP, but we're going to stick with one night I believe.

Places around here do one or maybe 2 houses for $30+, and you may or may not be able to buy a skip-the-line addon - so it's definitely more expensive per the amount you experience. If you're buying admission for a 7.5hr event but only using 4-5hrs, that's a choice you make. People only getting to 2-3 houses are definitely not staying the whole night. Or, they're spending a lot of time doing other things, again that's a choice.

Let's get back on the actual topic of out of control ticket prices.

Someone is going to post this tidbit so I'll just get it out of the way, Don't go. but that's not really the point is it (hypothetically).

You need to look at the whole picture @Lisa01
Do you have any idea how many Universal Team Members it takes to make this event happen? The cost of the makeup, costumes, rehearsals, decorations and building sets. Months of planning and having a whole amusement park with more TM's at your disposal. This isn't childs play, this is serious competitive business and it comes with a price tag.

Just keeping it real.

I'm not sure you can go else where without paying a similar price for this caliber of an experience. :flower3:
Bingo!! So, let me be the one to bring up the ugly point no one seems to want to talk about. FoxC63 is absolutely correct about the labor intensity of this event. And why does it cost so much more now than five or ten years ago? Because no one makes minimum wage anymore like the old days. With the drive for every position to have a "living wage", even part-time, seasonal employees expect to make at least $20-25/hour at a minimum. Multiply that out to the number of people it takes to run something like this, plus the extreme costs for raw materials now, then sprinkle in a few hundred million for all the new attractions everybody expects every year, and you get what we have today. A great comparison would be attending any professional sporting event or a high-level concert. Heck, Taylor Swift tickets were running $600-$700 a piece for the nosebleed seats at So-Fi stadium recently.

If they just doubled the regular admission price to HHN and sold half the tickets it would be a much more enjoyable experience for all. They could still sell some EP and make the same amount of money.

i
I understand what you are saying. I am not unreasonable, but they are taking advantage of people. If they charge $80 for a ticket, and you only get into 2-3 haunted houses the whole night due to long lines, they are making out like bandits. To then charge an additional $140 to get to the front of the line ONE time per house is again being greedy. Just my opinion, obviously. By the way, we aren't going! If others would take a stand, maybe this crap would end.
I think they have to charge a high price for the express pass in order for it to work as intended. It is an option for those who are willing to pay to avoid the long lines. If they lower the price, everyone will buy express pass and then the express line becomes longer than the regular lines.

i

I think they have to charge a high price for the express pass in order for it to work as intended. It is an option for those who are willing to pay to avoid the long lines. If they lower the price, everyone will buy express pass and then the express line becomes longer than the regular lines.
Right - but it has also increased in price quite a bit over the last several years - especially on multilight tickets - I thought it was expensive last year - and its 100 more this year.

To your point - I don't feel its worth it this year and I have skipped the express option - its seems like many others are doing the same so it may reduce the express line - I may change my mind and upgrade - but we will see - it will be though to go back to not having express.

I'm new to HHN, now having gone in 2021,2022, and going this Oct. Columbus day week, busier and pricier. First 2 years, no express. Did 8 houses 2021, starting with Stay/scream pen, and leaving parks at 1am(could've done the last 2, but feet, knees, legs were shot.) and 9 houses in 2022, w S/S, and leaving parks at 1:30 (over 30,000 steps that day/night....) Both times, worked in some ride time, a very little amount of food, no stage shows. A lot of houess can be done w/o express, but maybe not everything if you want to try lots of food/and see that shows
However......I said in 2022 I"d not do this again w/o express. But I will agree, it is a LOT of money for 1 night. About double the ticket. I kinda thought about doing RoF instead, it was cheaper, and going 2-3 nights/no express, but I went on and bought express. (was also too hard to work out logistics w/our WDW trip, ) It hurt the pocketbook, and it actually took about 3 more weeks to commit to buying express , but I'm looking SOOOO forward to having extra time now for food, or repeat houses, or whatever, Still hope to stay out until close if I can make it! Can't wait!!

Last edited:
It's only $79.99; however, my kids went last year, and without the express pass, they only got in to two of the haunted houses the whole night. The lines are ridiculos.
If they only got through two houses in a whole night, that’s on them, not Universal.

We went in September last year using Rush of Fear. We had no express and no stay and scream. The first night (Friday) our flight was delayed, and we entered around 12:30am, yet were still able to get through Blumhouse, Dead Man’s, Classic Monsters, and The Weeknd before the 2am closing (to be fair, we weren’t all the way through The Weeknd, but we entered the queue before 2 and were allowed to wait and go through the house.) That’s 4 houses in an hour and a half, and your kids couldn’t get through more than two houses in 7 hours?

The next night, we got to to park at 3 in the afternoon to be in the very front of the pack waiting to get in from the front gate. We brought sandwiches for dinner, and ate half waiting in line. We used good strategy, and knocked out 9 houses, watched the lagoon light show, watched Nightmare Fuel, and again stayed until the very end to accomplish this.

Now you probably are thinking, that’s crazy, I don’t want to do that. You know what? I don’t really want to do it either. I would love to be the person walking through the express queue instead of the person waiting in standby. But you pay with your time or you pay with your money, and I’m working with my budget. If express passes were cheap, everyone would buy them, and they’d be worthless.

Personally, I’m glad UO gives us the option of doing it on the cheap while subsidizing the event with the fees of those willing to pay a premium to skip the lines with express or RIP tours. No matter how you look at it, going at all is an extra, a luxury, not a necessity. No one is being taken advantage of.

We went on a Sunday last September. Used stay and scream we did 6 Houses, saw both shows, walked the scare zones multiple times, stopped for food once, hung out in an empty Diagon Alley and left around 12:45 am. We could have done 1-2 more houses but I was good with what we had accomplished. That was a good value for us. I think if express was cheaper too many folks would purchase it and would defeat the purpose of express.

No matter how you look at it, going at all is an extra, a luxury, not a necessity. No one is being taken advantage of.
Agreed - for me its more about the amount its increased in the last several years

$189 since 2019 for ROF - that is a very big increase (339 to 529)
In addition you used to be able to get an APH discount on the multilight tickets.

Changes in the event itself makes it harder for me to justify the expense. In 2021 I had Express and ended up skipping several nights just because it was not all that good and I could not be bothered.
I have high hopes for this years event - I can give them a pass for 2021 and I had to skip last years for reasons beyond my control.

The base ticket is still a good deal compared to what you pay for one night of the Disney Halloween event.

With the drive for every position to have a "living wage", even part-time, seasonal employees expect to make at least $20-25/hour at a minimum
Good for them.

Seems popular in some quarters to solely place the blame for the big jump in travel costs, including HHN; on employee salaries.

Supply & demand is leading the parks to challenge the market as to lowering quality while increasing prices, even as revenge travel is just starting to decline.

Yes, prices are indeed high, everywhere

The U multi night tix, offers a solid 3 -4 houses a night, with just a modicum of planning. They are still A wonderful value to those who can utilize them.

I try to avoid associating the two events as totally different experience. however, Compare the cost of a multi night tix to just one night at MNSSHP (disclosure, which we also eagerly attend every year lol).

Right - but it has also increased in price quite a bit over the last several years - especially on multilight tickets - I thought it was expensive last year - and its 100 more this year.

To your point - I don't feel its worth it this year and I have skipped the express option - its seems like many others are doing the same so it may reduce the express line - I may change my mind and upgrade - but we will see - it will be though to go back to not having express.
I’m not thrilled with tix price increases across the board either

Decided to forgo lights on tour, EP & an RIP
This year for vacation with the mr. It’s just too much above my comfort level. We have 8 -10 days we could use the multi night pass to make that happen

Using vacation math :rolleyes1$ Savings was enough to end up deciding to do another weekend in October, treating extended family to their 1st HhN. Couldn’t resist splurging for EP that go round since it’ll be Columbus Day weekend horde

My point is:

most of us work with a discretionary travel budget to make the magic happen. Sometimes you just need to carefully shift the pieces around to make it work

I’m the parks’ defense, it’s a business. They owe it to the shareholders to not leave any potential revenue on the table & charge what the market will bare. If it’s not profitable, it won’t return the following year
OP: why don't you switch to sea world's Howl O scream this year? They do a very nice event and it's much more affordable.
We’ve really enjoyed it the last two years. Can’t beat the price. Do think it’s more adult oriented than HHN

Last edited:
Do think it’s more adult oriented than HHN
Without a doubt - something I do miss with HHN

I’m the parks’ defense, it’s a business. They owe it to the shareholders to not leave any potential revenue on the table & charge what the market will bare. If it’s not profitable, it won’t return the following year
Agreed - and I may still end up buying it, just disappointed with what I see as a cash grab - but it may just be that too many people bought it and by charging more less people will get it and in Disney logic ;) it will make it better for those that do buy it. I can see that as a factor if satisfaction with EP was going downhill

Agreed - for me its more about the amount its increased in the last several years

In addition you used to be able to get an APH discount on the multilight tickets.

The base ticket is still a good deal compared to what you pay for one night of the Disney Halloween event.
Yes, I’m definitely working through my sticker shock this year. We usually do ROF without express, and this year decided to include my niece because she’s been begging to go. Since a 4th person doesn’t change the hotel or car rental costs, I figured it wouldn’t be that much more to add her. Was not expecting ROF to increase by $50 per ticket and no multinight discounts (bought through AAA last year to knock off a few bucks). It’s totally on me that I added another plane fare and ROF ticket to my expenses. But the 40% increase in base ticket prices over last year took me off guard. To be honest, if I had known the tickets would increase that much, I might not have invited my niece.

Also, the fact that UO announces the multi pass details so late that it makes it hard to plan hotels and airfare. I know there are some people who planned to go the last weekend of September with ROF, only to find it excluded this year after traditionally being part of that pass.

As for the WDW comparison, UO is a better deal on multinight tickets, but for single nights, the prices can be pretty comparable. MNSSHP allows entry at 4 without a shut down for the transition over to the party. To get a comparable benefit, you'd have to add $40 to the price of HHN for the scream early ticket, which puts the price of HHN at or above the price of the early dates for MNSSHP. As you get later into the season, WDW's parties get more expensive and pull away from HHN prices which remain more stable, especially for weeknights.

Also, the fact that UO announces the multi pass details so late that it makes it hard to plan hotels and airfare. I know there are some people who planned to go the last weekend of September with ROF, only to find it excluded this year after traditionally being part of that pass.
Yup - it used to be all the September dates for ROF. I went with the Frequent Fear Plus assuming Id get the last Saturday the 28th of October - but then they added Nov 4th as the last Saturday on the day the released the ticket so that left me a bit annoyed. It would help a lot if they released tickets early as there is far less availability at hotel now as well - especially with AP rates so changing plans costs ever more. I plan to just do more nights at SeaWorld on the saturdays

As for the WDW comparison, UO is a better deal on multinight tickets, but for single nights, the prices can be pretty comparable. MNSSHP allows entry at 4 without a shut down for the transition over to the party. To get a comparable benefit, you'd have to add $40 to the price of HHN for the scream early ticket, which puts the price of HHN at or above the price of the early dates for MNSSHP. As you get later into the season, WDW's parties get more expensive and pull away from HHN prices which remain more stable, especially for weeknights.
Good point had not looked at it that way with early entry. HHN nights may also get more expensive as we get to October as I think the prices fluctuate.

Of course, HHN also goes til 2am, it's pretty much a wash.
It’s not just about the length of the event, but also about attendees having access to daytime attractions that close during the party. Like I’m not sure why they don’t run the Horror Makeup Show during HHN, but if you want to see it, you need to get in during the day.

And I’d argue that 4-12 is more usable park time than 3-5 plus 7-2 because a lot more people can make it until 12 than can stick it out to 2, even if the park is open that late. I also think the continuous 8 hours at WDW are more conducive to getting things done because you don’t have to interrupt what you’re doing to get to a holding pen at US by 5 or go there early to secure a better spot in the house line.

::yes::
plan to just do more nights at SeaWorld on the saturdays
Smart move

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter