How Much Would You Pay

How much more would you pay PER DAY to guarantee no wait times more than 30 minutes?

• $25

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • $50

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • $75

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • $100

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Zero - this is a greedy ploy

Votes: 116 76.3%

• Total voters
I think we have reached our top price. I have always wanted to go to the Food and Wine, but because the kids were in school and I didn't want to take them out, we never went. All the kids are grown, so DH and I are going this year and we are just going to Epcot for a few days and then doing things at the resorts.

There's a very good article by Len Testa on Touring Plans .com.

He does offer some pro-price tiering observations but the general feeling that I get is that he is very much against the plan as it was presented in the survey. I find his breakdown of the cost increase very alarming! A 90% increase over the current gate price for a 9-day ticket when you purchase a "gold" level pass is just insane!

That analysis hinges on something I haven't seen mentioned in any of the threads about the survey... The tiering is news, sure, but so is what looks to be a DRASTIC reduction in the per-day discount for longer multi-day tickets. The survey image with the multi-day prices listed in actual dollars doesn't reflect it, so it seems they're seeking opinions both ways, but the one with the percentage-based chart of discounts for the longer tickets cuts the multi-day discount significantly. Right now, a 10-day ticket is 62% cheaper than ten 1-day tickets; on that chart that discount drops to 45%. A 5-day ticket is currently 35% less expensive than five 1-day tickets; the discount in the survey drops to 20%. At every level it means the cost for adding a day will no longer be negligible, as it is now for tickets longer than 4 days, and that means the price hike is most significant on longer tickets.

I wonder what Disney is going for with that? Are they thinking people will just pay it, even as the price of a 7 day ticket jumps by a couple hundred bucks and a 10 day ticket nearly doubles, or are they thinking one-and-done visits are the ideal model for maximizing revenue even if it means people only spend 4 days at WDW and the rest of their vacation at other Orlando attractions? It seems like a major departure from the all-Disney, all-vacation model they've been building for the last decade or so.

There's a very good article by Len Testa on Touring Plans .com.

He does offer some pro-price tiering observations but the general feeling that I get is that he is very much against the plan as it was presented in the survey. I find his breakdown of the cost increase very alarming! A 90% increase over the current gate price for a 9-day ticket when you purchase a "gold" level pass is just insane!

Based on the article in tickets alone the price of a Disney vacation for our family of three would go up by almost $650. That is a price that my budget just can't absorb. it would either seriously change how long we vacation at WDW (however we would still be paying what we are now, it would just be a shorter stay) or go back to other destinations.

I didn't go to Disney for the first time until I was an adult so implementing this strategy would make me feel like I got robbed somehow.

My take on the surveys (there were at least 3 different versions AFAIK) is that they is going to be a change in the way that tickets are structured. All of the surveys show some version of the bronze-silver-gold price structure. It's been 10 year since MYW tickets were introduced, so this would not be a change that should shock anyone. What remains to be seen, is just how this change affects how each of us visits Disney.

• They've already done away with the "no-expiry" option. For those of us who purchased 10-day no-expiry passes and then used them for 2, 3 or even more visits, the game has already changed.
  • In every proposed ticket scheme, there is some sort of tiering. I think that we can count on this change coming in the near future. The questions will only be "when?" and "how much?".
  • The next thing to consider will be "how will this affect current MYW tickets?" I'm guessing that Disney will have to grandfather these tickets in at the "gold" level because they were sold without any restrictions on when they could be used.
  • If MYW tickets are grandfathered in as "gold" tickets, it would also mean one of two things:
    • either they can no longer be upgraded (just like the old UPH tickets purchased prior to 2005)
    • OR they can only be upgraded with more days at the "gold" level. In either case, the ticket holder is pretty much screwed if they want to visit on more "bronze" days than their ticket allows.
Of course, all of this is pure conjecture based on those few screen captures that I've seen of the surveys. But it really has me thinking about the future of my visits to Disney and how (if) I decide to go into the parks. I didn't purchase DVC membership just so that I could hang out at my home resort, but there's a distinct possibility that future visits to Orlando will simply be based at a Disney resort for the purpose of enjoying the resort amenities and whatever Central Florida has to offer.

Last edited:
We have two trips planned and I am now wondering if it would be worth buying MYW tickets now, before this stuff happens and increases the cost.

Funny, the same could be said for people at the other end of the financial spectrum. Those that feel that they have the right to be there becuase they have money and nobody else should be interfering with their trip. Kind of like the people that hired handicapped tour guides to gain front of the line access. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Yes and no. We tend to only stay at GF and then only CL. What we spend on an average trip is typically more than the average family. Do I expect more bc I am paying more? Well yes. It's why we fly first class. I like a bigger seat, "better" food, nicer amenities, etc...

So if you are asking would I pay more to have more and get away from the masses, of course.

I'm with everyone on the $0. The only thing we get in line for that is longer than 30 minutes is the parade and we usually sit down with some snacks so it's technically not a wait it's our "rest" time.

I can't imagine that those who got the survey with the prices shown on Touring Plans have given it positive response. I originally said that I wouldn't have a problem with the tiered tickets and the added cost for my family, but it was less than a $300 increase in what I would pay if I went today for a week. If Disney decides to price those tickets to what is shown on TP, then that would be $1480 more for a 7 day trip for us. There is no way I would pay that, because I don't think anything in any of the 4 parks is worth spending over $3000 (plus resort stay and airfare) to do/see/experience. Anything less than a 7 day trip is not going to happen for us, so at that price point we will not be returning to WDW again (as a family of 5 anyway).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter