• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much would you pay to have Wi-Fi available in the parks?

C. Is it just me, or is this the first thread I can remember seeing started by Robo?

I have seen maybe 3. One got closed quickly though.

Hey Robo hows the refurb going on the Janitor's Closet.:lmao: (You had to be there, good times)

There have been a few posts suggesting that people should just use their carrier's data plan. But remember, WDW is an international destination with visitors from all over the world.

Using my own carrier's data service for my smartphone in the US is completely outrageous. The roaming charges are insane. When I visit WDW I set my phone to "Airplane Mode" (ie: No phone, text or web service).

That being said, having wifi available would be a nice feature, but, I wouldn't pay extra for it. I just can't see myself paying extra to surf my phone (and for the added distraction) while in the parks. I would much prefer to have a cheaper option in the resorts. $10/day is too much, especially when there are off-site locations offering WiFi for free.
:stitch:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the perspective.

Without the presense of a data carrier that I'm already using I would probably not pay anywhere close to what Disney would charge for WiFi (which is funny when I pay $100 for eggs and waffles with Donald Duck in a safari hat), and would have no problem at all forsaking it for a few days; DD's aunt would just have to wait a few days for that picture of her with King Louie.

Disney would probably make more money selling $40 shirts that say "I went on an internet free vacation and you didn't! :littleangel: "

I ordered and iPad 2 with Wi Fi and 3g so while people in the group are riding things that don't interest me, I can access the internet using cellular service or I can read a book on my Kindle app.
The reason I bought it is we have a second home in a remote area with poor internet signals but good cellphone service.
So to answer the question, I wouldn't pay anything for wi fi.

So, is there a price (per day / per week / per stay) that you'd be willing to pay for the service?

1) Zero.
2) Nada.
3) Nothing.
4) Zip.
5) I see no reason for WiFi in the parks.
6) It is called VACATION, not work.

I would pay up to about $20/week probably... I have an iphone but I am NOT using data while I am down there its WAY to expensive! Coming from Canada the amount of fees I have to pay for roaming ect is insane! The ability to be able to contact people back home and update them while I am there would be awesome. I think it will happen soon. The Grand Californian at DL has free wifi it was awesome when my friend went down I could tweet her and see some of her photos while they had a break in the lodge :thumbsup2

Nothing for Wifi in the parks....I already pay plenty for the data plan on my phone...

Now having Wifi in the resorts would be nice - Why Disney is so behind the curve on this is beyond me. :confused3 Even our little local Greek restaurant has free Wifi at this point...

I would pay up to about $20/week probably... I have an iphone but I am NOT using data while I am down there its WAY to expensive! Coming from Canada the amount of fees I have to pay for roaming ect is insane! The ability to be able to contact people back home and update them while I am there would be awesome. I think it will happen soon. The Grand Californian at DL has free wifi it was awesome when my friend went down I could tweet her and see some of her photos while they had a break in the lodge :thumbsup2

Don't hold your breath. What happens in DL resorts has nothing to do with WDW resorts.

DL is a completely different market. I would say the resorts at DL more directly compete with the surrounding hotels. When the Alpine Inn thats just as close to the parks offers free Wi Fi they have to try to compete.

At WDW Walt knew what he was doing by buying a ton of land and insulating you from the outside world.

Now having Wifi in the resorts would be nice - Why Disney is so behind the curve on this is beyond me. :confused3 Even our little local Greek restaurant has free Wifi at this point...

WDW is NOT behind the curve. Your little Greek Restaurant uses free wi fi (very simple to install for them) to attract guests.

WDW uses cutting edge tech to create the best family entertainment possible to attract guests.

Completely different business plans. You are comparing apples to I don't know Quantum Physics. :)

Unfortunately I just have an iPad/iTouch not an iPhone so my device is useless along with any apps in the Parks . Would have been nice to use the the line apps that are available. Would I pay for it? Is it really that important? No. My Verizon Wireless cell phone has a Disney link if I want to pay $2/month for it. Will look more into that and see if I can just "turn" this feature and pay for it only when I need it. :banana:

My Verizon Wireless cell phone has a Disney link if I want to pay $2/month for it. Will look more into that and see if I can just "turn" this feature and pay for it only when I need it. :banana:

Are you talking about the Verizon Disney Mobile Magic App?

Because I didn't think it was per month. It was 7.99 for 6 months. Now I see it on BB and Droid phones for $1.99 with no indication on how long it lasts. Just 1.99 app download.

I would never pay for wifi in the parks.

The only reason I will be paying for internet at the resort is because I will have classes in the Fall and may have to turn something in or read something. Even though I am going over my break, you never know what the professors will do.

See, everyone on here is Disney lovers and are going to Disney because they love Disney! Of course no one would pay to have wifi for their computer...they don't go to Disney to work.

But a lot of people that go to Disney, let's face it, have money,which means busy busy jobs and the need to be "on call" every day. I have a feeling those families would use/pay for it because a lot of people can't take vacation and if they do they have to be available somewhat.

I think a lot of people would pay for wi fi especially in the resorts.

I would pay 'Goose-egg' for wifi in the parks. If I'm in the parks, I'm there to enjoy them, not stare at a screen.

I wouldn't pay for it but I have other options available to me. I have personal hotspot with my iphone, so my ipad connects to that. Last year, I used a mifi device that worked well.

It was nice having the ipad at WDW. Played games on it, read email and posted here when we were back in the room at night.

The iphone is very useful at WDW too. I take pictures, play games in lines, tweet from the parks. Also a lot of very useful Disney apps.

Who knew there were so many Luddites here on the Dis?;)

Sorry if I'm repeating but I've only read page one ;) Will go over the rest when the kids are in bed.

I'd like wifi. Maybe not all over the parks, but at least some hotspots. Not because I'm an internet addict (I probably am, but that's not why), I'd love to spend my time without checking up on what's happening on facebook, etc. But we're very far away from home for two weeks and I'd like to be able to post pictures online for friends and family to see what we're up to :)

As we're coming from the UK, it would cost us a completely unafforable amount of money to use the internet available on our phones, unless we buy US sims, which isn't going to happen either.

Having said that - I'd rather not pay (of course), as I think it's a service that could be included.

I wouldn't pay anything! We don't even get internet in our room, unless I have homework assignments to submit. :thumbsup2

i would not pay for that at all. we tend to leave our phones or other devices behind since we are there to enjoy wdw. one of us may keep a phone on us so we have all our reservation listed on it with dates and times, but other then that we will not use them. in fact we have a rule that we are not allowed to use facebook, the phone or anything else when we are at the parks or on any vacation.

We are in the $0 crowd.

We don't even carry our phones with us in the park. We leave them locked in our resort room safe, and just check when we are back there for emergency messages.

zilch. nada. zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-row.

it bothers me enough they charge $10/day at the resorts for internet when an $80/night hampton inn offers it for free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter