How much was your very first car?

In 1978 I bought a 1971 Chevy Malibu for $700.

Before that I drove the old family car, a 1965 American Motors Rambler station wagon.

First car I bought on my own I purchased in 1992 for $300. It was an '81 Subaru wagon. I've owned well over 80 cars by now, and I've had ones that were free, $100, $400, etc...and yes, they ran and drove.

Very 1st car bought in 1995 was a 1986 white Dodge 600 Convertible with maroon leather interior. My dad paid his friend $1000 for it and I also had to play a tune on my clarinet for the guy lol

My grandmother bought my first car, and she thought the more metal around you, the safer you will be. She always drove the largest Cadillacs, despite being tiny. She had to have them altered with extended pedals and the airbag disabled because she had to sit so close to the steering wheel.

Anyway, an army green 1986 Buick Regal purchased in 1992 was the perfect tank for me. It was $3K, and it only had 16,000 miles on it! It was literally driven to church on Sundays by the previous owner. I drove it until 1999, I think. Its funny, because it seemed older than 6 years old at the time. I think car preferences shifted drastically from large to small during that time.

$400 for a 1963 Chevy Bisquane, 6 cylinder, 3 speed standard in the summer of 1968. Then I crashed it twice in one day that November (both my fault), pounded out the dents myself and sold it to my sister for $300 the next spring.

I paid $2500 in 1978 for an AMC pacer, it was used and maybe 4 years old. It lasted me two years when I traded it for a brand spanking new Datsun B210 which I think I paid around $5000 for. That puppy lasted me about 10 years.

1976 Cadillac Coupe D'Ville that we paid $125 for in 1988 (which was a whole week's pay at minimum wage at the time). It was a boat and we ended up sinking quite a bit of $ into it to keep it going, but it was all we could afford at the time and holds so many fond memories for us.

My 1st DH and I bought a '66 Impala for $50!!! That was in '78 and yes it was a piece of you know what but it did get us from the Chicago area to Colorado with only all the lug nuts breaking on the front passenger side when trying to change that tire, in Nebraska. Gotta love old cars!! :teeth:

A 1960 VW bug, which cost my parents $200. I Loved it and wish I would have kept it. Thanks for the fun thread:)

LOL. Must be getting old because a Ventura was a Pontiac, not a Chevy. But they didn't make Venturas in 1984, they stopped making them in 1978.
That's right!! My DH had a Chevy Nova. They were basically the same car. Mine was probably a 74 or 76. Dang its weird I'm drawing a blank. I hate that!! I can't even remember how I got rid of it. Ggrrr

$550 for a 72 Chevy Nova, that I ended up selling, because I could not drive the three-on-the-tree manual transmission LOL.

1975 Ford Maverick purchased in 1983 for $1,700.00. Four-door version with a rag top, olive green. Man I loved that car. Drove it the last two years of high school and for four years of college.

That's right!! My DH had a Chevy Nova. They were basically the same car. Mine was probably a 74 or 76. Dang its weird I'm drawing a blank. I hate that!! I can't even remember how I got rid of it. Ggrrr
My mom had a 1974 Buick Apollo, same car.
Buick Apollo, Pontiac Ventura, Oldsmobile Omega, Chevrolet Nova, all the same car.

I was in a situation I never expected to be in 2 months ago when my daughter decided she wanted to buy a car of her own. She gave us back he 1 year old used car we bought her 10 years ago. It is 11 years old with 89,000 miles on it. My car was 15 years old and had 160,000 miles on it. So I sold my car and I am driving a car handed down (or would that be back up) to me by my daughter.
As I plan to retire in 2 years, it may be my last car. I suspect DW and I will scale back from 4 cars, to 2 or 3 in retirement. She is next up for a new car.

My first car was a 1960 Plymouth Station Wagon. Standard shift, slant six and fins... big fins. Purchased in 1966 for $350.00. Burnt more oil then gas. My first new car was a 1970 Buick Skylark I purchased when I returned from Vietnam. $3400.00. Loved that car... kept it for 7 years. Used it to court my girlfriend, taken on our honeymoon, brought both our children home from the Hospital two years apart. It just had to many miles on it to depend on it with a two young children. It was a sad day when I had to trade it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter