• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much $ was your vacation?

DisneyFansInLINY said:
Baboo seems like a troll. I reviewed their posts, they recommended someone to travel by car and not by airlines if they were taking their toddler so that they didn't annoy the other passengers. Also, they posted that they slip hostesses money at the Disney restaurants in order to get a table. This is not an accepted practice at Disney and no cast member would risk losing their job over this. So I really wouldn't take any of their posts seriously.

But there is a 21 day ticket for Europeans to purchase that is only $369.34 per ticket. So they may have purchased such a ticket but it still doesn't explain their other posts.

Don't forgot the post about taking food back to the resorts from the buffets to save $$, also in one post talks about being Muslim then in another talks about drinking beer with the zebra domes taken from the buffet. Needless to say things don't add up.

I think our price always seems really high but every time we go to WDW or DL it is always around $10,000. One trip was a little less this past May when we stayed in two rooms at POFQ, but it was still over $500 a night for the two connecting rooms. On average we are between $8-10,000 a trip. This includes EVERYTHING though. Airfare for 6, transportation, food, tips, stroller rental, souvenirs, tickets....everything. I write every little expense down. We are going to DL this Aug and the price will be the same, again. Flying to LA this time was actually about the same price it cost 6 of us to fly to MCO last year. We try to fly out of PWM if at all reasonable because driving down to Boston and parking is so expensive it is almost never worth the hassle and tiny bit of savings vs. flying directly out of PWM. I realize it is a crazy price and I would like to get it down but with 6 people it's a little rough. I am learning that DCL is running about the same price as WDW. We are going for our first cruise this April and are paying about $10,000 for that as well. However, we have an Alaskan cruise scheduled for 2014 and that is much more expensive. I think that will be our only vacation in 2014. But we have always wanted to go and I doubt we will go back again.

Pop Century for 14 nights standard room
Free QSDP
2 adults 2 disney kids
8 day MYW with WP&F

Air is another 1200.00 already booked threw SW. We will bring another 1500.00 with us. Probably won't use all that but like to have plenty. We will be doing 4 ts meals OP. Last year for some reason we only spent 500.00 in 10 days but we only did one TS meal extra.

wow- these vacations seem to be on the high side.

how often do you take vacations

We usually spend around $3k, and we go every other year for a week. That is usually a value or offsite room, OOP food, park hopper 7-day tickets for two, and round-trip gas driving from central TX.

Our trips bounce all over the place...

WDW is not usually crazy expensive for us. But, we own DVC, so no cash outlay when we book ( but of course there's yearly dues)..

So, we usually go Sun-Fri
Drive from SC..200ish round trip for gas, these days probably more like $250.
DVC room (paid)
4 park hoppers- my husband is retired military with benefits, so for the last few years we've gotten the Military Salute tickets for around $160 apiece..
I budget at least $1000 for food, we do TS daily (mostly nicer places like Cali Grill, Flying Fish etc) and we have TIW.
Souvenirs- minimal really- we've been there done that.

We always stay in a villa and pack some groceries, drinks and snacks. WDW trips aren't terribly expensive that way..

We also own (a lot!) of DVC points at Hilton Head and we stay there twice a year...
Gas - minimal really 2.5 hour drive..
Room (paid)
Tickets none..
We eat out a few times and grill and cook in (again always have a villa)..HHI trips are cheap.

But then you throw in DCL...This year we're doing a week on the Fantasy in Aug to the tune of $11000 for four. That's not including the precruise stay, and excursions for 4..

Last year, I scored a last minute late Aug cruise on the Dream for around $2300 for 5 nights and upgraded to concierge at the port...That was a super reasonable and GORGEOUS trip..

I figure it all evens out in the end and I love a vacation...so I spend there.

Made me curious how much my trip is actually costing me even though I am a DVC member staying on my points.

8 Nights @ AKV value studio June 24 - July 2 (checkout) + 7 Nights @ BCV studio July 2 - 9 (checkout). 15 nights total.

Looks like it's going to probably be a solo trip as my sister and niece can no longer make it. No DDP or just 2 days. Breakfast in room with food and snacks I take. I always bring a case of water and water filter. Dinner at quick services. Might get QSDP for first 2 nights as those nights I have booked separate. Might do a walk up or book last minute Kona lunch on one of last days. I only eat breakfast (in room) and dinner. So my food costs shouldn't be too much. Plus snacks I will bring. A dole whip will definitely be enjoyed however.

Here's my semi break down:

$1730.94 - Room (includes annual dues and cost/purchase of the points used). Plus a 4% discount using disney gifts cards bought at BJs to pay dues.

$136 - PAP - DVC special discount -- plus additional 4% discount from using Disney gcs purchased at BJs with 4% off to pay for the PAP. Then divided by 3 trips I will take in 1 year using the PAP.

$151 - Roundtrip flights on SW

$300 - Food - Will again buy disney gifts cards at BJs with 4% off to bring to pay for food. Less risk of getting my credit/debit info stolen as well using this. I will actually probably buy $400-$500 just to be on safe side but only figure I will need around the $300 for7 just myself. I didn't subtract the BJs discount here since not exactly sure how much I will spend so just left it at the $300.

Grand total = $2306.61

Have you thought about buying DVC? That would get you a room a lot cheaper and at a deluxe resort. Resale the best way to go! Plus being a DVC member you get discounts on AP/PAP and purchases in the parks (these are perks that are not guaranteed to always be around). Just a thought.

I think our price always seems really high but every time we go to WDW or DL it is always around $10,000. One trip was a little less this past May when we stayed in two rooms at POFQ, but it was still over $500 a night for the two connecting rooms. On average we are between $8-10,000 a trip. This includes EVERYTHING though. Airfare for 6, transportation, food, tips, stroller rental, souvenirs, tickets....everything. I write every little expense down. We are going to DL this Aug and the price will be the same, again. Flying to LA this time was actually about the same price it cost 6 of us to fly to MCO last year. We try to fly out of PWM if at all reasonable because driving down to Boston and parking is so expensive it is almost never worth the hassle and tiny bit of savings vs. flying directly out of PWM. I realize it is a crazy price and I would like to get it down but with 6 people it's a little rough. I am learning that DCL is running about the same price as WDW. We are going for our first cruise this April and are paying about $10,000 for that as well. However, we have an Alaskan cruise scheduled for 2014 and that is much more expensive. I think that will be our only vacation in 2014. But we have always wanted to go and I doubt we will go back again.

Correction on Grand total = $2317.94

Messed up my totals since I had forgotten at first to subtract the 4% gc discounts. So somehow messed me up in my total. Duh...

Tried to fix it in edit but since posting from phone it won't let me scroll to bottom of my post in edit mode. Uggg....

Made me curious how much my trip is actually costing me even though I am a DVC member staying on my points.

8 Nights @ AKV value studio June 24 - July 2 (checkout) + 7 Nights @ BCV studio July 2 - 9 (checkout). 15 nights total.

Looks like it's going to probably be a solo trip as my sister and niece can no longer make it. No DDP or just 2 days. Breakfast in room with food and snacks I take. I always bring a case of water and water filter. Dinner at quick services. Might get QSDP for first 2 nights as those nights I have booked separate. Might do a walk up or book last minute Kona lunch on one of last days. I only eat breakfast (in room) and dinner. So my food costs shouldn't be too much. Plus snacks I will bring. A dole whip will definitely be enjoyed however.

Here's my semi break down:

$1730.94 - Room (includes annual dues and cost/purchase of the points used). Plus a 4% discount using disney gifts cards bought at BJs to pay dues.

$136 - PAP - DVC special discount -- plus additional 4% discount from using Disney gcs purchased at BJs with 4% off to pay for the PAP. Then divided by 3 trips I will take in 1 year using the PAP.

$151 - Roundtrip flights on SW

$300 - Food - Will again buy disney gifts cards at BJs with 4% off to bring to pay for food. Less risk of getting my credit/debit info stolen as well using this. I will actually probably buy $400-$500 just to be on safe side but only figure I will need around the $300 for7 just myself. I didn't subtract the BJs discount here since not exactly sure how much I will spend so just left it at the $300.

Grand total = $2306.61

I'm going to go with $3700 budgeted for our upcoming trip for 3 adults a 1 under 3 for 7 nights:
Airfare: $461 (half of this was using frequent flyer miles)
Hotel: $1117.08
Food: $1200
Disney Tickets: $468 (Armed Forces Salute)
Universal Tickets: $176
Rental Car: $80
Incidentals: $150

Last year we didn't get any vacations, so our last family vacation was in November 2011.

Our last trip:
2 adults...
1 night in Savannah on the way: $75
dinner in Savannah: $35
5 nights at Orlando Courtyard Suites @ $69 a night
2 annual passes to BB, TL, and DQ- $130 pp or $260 total
gas for round trip from VA to Orlando and back: $180
groceries for breakfasts and lunches: $40
dinners out for the 5 days: $245 (Boma was our most expensive dinner)
for a total of 1180 :)

Yes, we really spent 4 relaxing days at the water parks and did not miss the Big 4 parks at all. We also got out and did some sightseeing in Winter Park and Clermont.

And because our last trip was so cost effective and so much fun,
we are coming back in May with our college son to do it all again.
Less $ spent per trip means we can afford to take more trips! :goodvibes

The 1 bedroom suite still fits us- DS will sleep on the sleeper sofa, and we are able to save $$ by eating breakfast in and packing our snack/lunches and taking them to the waterparks (no glass, no alcohol and everything else is fine )
This time DH and I won't have to buy our tickets so our entertainment will be "free" but for buying our son's ticket.
We'll also probably skip Boma as there are so many great restaurants in Orlando that serve comparable food for less money.
(like skipping The Flying Fish in favor of Bonefish Grill...:thumbsup2)
Then we are spending 2 nights in St. Augustine at a little place in the historic district for $100 a night and free breakfast before heading home.
Cannot wait! 90 days!!! :cool1:

Our last trip:
2 adults...
1 night in Savannah on the way: $75
dinner in Savannah: $35
5 nights at Orlando Courtyard Suites @ $69 a night
2 annual passes to BB, TL, and DQ- $130 pp or $260 total
gas for round trip from VA to Orlando and back: $180
groceries for breakfasts and lunches: $40
dinners out for the 5 days: $245 (Boma was our most expensive dinner)
for a total of 1180 :)

Yes, we really spent 4 relaxing days at the water parks and did not miss the Big 4 parks at all. We also got out and did some sightseeing in Winter Park and Clermont.

And because our last trip was so cost effective and so much fun,
we are coming back in May with our college son to do it all again.
Less $ spent per trip means we can afford to take more trips! :goodvibes

The 1 bedroom suite still fits us- DS will sleep on the sleeper sofa, and we are able to save $$ by eating breakfast in and packing our snack/lunches and taking them to the waterparks (no glass, no alcohol and everything else is fine )
This time DH and I won't have to buy our tickets so our entertainment will be "free" but for buying our son's ticket.
We'll also probably skip Boma as there are so many great restaurants in Orlando that serve comparable food for less money.
(like skipping The Flying Fish in favor of Bonefish Grill...:thumbsup2)
Then we are spending 2 nights in St. Augustine at a little place in the historic district for $100 a night and free breakfast before heading home.
Cannot wait! 90 days!!! :cool1:

I've got a couple of dozen non expiring 'plus' tickets lying around, plus I've got PAP this year.

You are making me want to do a summer trip for the waterparks!!!
One summer I was able to stay in a one bedroom at Vistana Villages for $50 a night. Booked it in Boston at a hotel there and had to do a timeshare thing for 2 hours but it was no big deal - well worth the time for the excellent room!

And, if I don't get a reasonable time for 'Ohana, I'm going to that place on I-drive for dinner that serves the meat skewers.

BLT 1 bedroom
6 nights
2 adults / 2 kids
7 day park passes
=$5400

Not included:
- Airfare - will use miles
- Food - budgeting $1000 for food for 7 days. Might get free dining promotion, though!
- Rental car - budgeting $400 (going to Cape Coral for 4 days after 7 days in WDW)
- Misc - $1000 (souvenirs, extra $ for whatever, maybe mnsshp tickets)

Total: $7800

My Birthday trip in December was right over 4,800. It was my DW, DS and shis best friend, and DD. My aunt and cousin paid their own way. This included 7 nights at the CSR, DDP, 7 day non-park hoppers, tips, 400.00 worth of gas, 200.00 of other travel expenses, and souvineer money. I didn't think this was bad for 5.

$6000 - air for 3, deluxe resort and deluxe dining - this is with a 30% off resort pin.

We went last June, our family was 2 adults, 2 kids (9 and 2 at the time), here is a approximate breakdown of our costs, should be pretty accurate but rounding up and down some numbers. Driving down took a day each way and then we had a day at each water park, a day at each disney park plus an extra day at magic kingdom, and a day at universal.
Disney YES tickets 5 days with PH and WP-$590
Off site rental home for 8 nights-$700
One night at hotel-$30
Gas from NC to FL plus driving around in FL and back-$200
Rental Car for 10 days-$130
Tickets to Universal for 1 day with small military discount-$250
Food-$600
Souvenirs-$25 (kids had their own money they got from family for their birthdays to spend on the trip)
Parking for 8 days at parks-$100
=$2625

My 6 night stay at All Star Music with park hopper and OOP food is budgeted to $3000. However, I got a discount on the hotel and am doing the Wild Africa Trek as well as driving from Ohio.

When we go, we are also going to be driving from Ohio (unless I can find cheap air for a family of 6 closer to our date).

I generally budget less than 6,000 for two weeks for two adults.

DVC point rental (BWV): 1824
10 Day Park Hoppers: 750
Airfare: 700
Food: 1400
Extras: 1000

2 adults, one free toddler in May
6 nights at POP
6 day park hoppers
$1358
Airfare for 3 - $350 (this awesome price is what made us decide to go, lol)
Food, misc. - 500
Dog boarding - 300
$2500

We'll be going again November before my son turns three, so we'll likely upgrade to AP and then try to squeeze a third trip in during the year to make the most of it.

1adult 1teenage boy.
8 nights- CSR
8 day tickets no hopper
Deluxe dining plan.
Flight from RDU to MCO. ( nonstop. Yay!)
$4100

Tips for the week. $400

Tickets for Medieval Times $171

Spending $2000

Total- $6671

And, if I don't get a reasonable time for 'Ohana, I'm going to that place on I-drive for dinner that serves the meat skewers.

Do you mean Texas de Brazil?
If you do- be sure to sign up for their coupons online.

We ate there in October too, but first we joined their birthday club.
DH has his in Sept, and mine is Oct.
We had to flip a coin to see which coupon we would use... :rotfl:
It was a birthday person eats free dinner with the purchase of a full price dinner.
At $50 per person regular price the only way we could afford to eat there was with this coupon... :lmao:

Have to say I think we enjoyed that dinner far more than Boma and it cost us less.
They have a side and salad buffet that is out of this world unique and definitely lots of gourmet items- all of excellent quality, as well as some fabulous soups.
And then there is the meat on skewers that they bring to your table... :woohoo:
I think there were about 7 different cuts and kinds of tender grilled meat varying between pork, chicken, cuts of beef and sausage.
Make a reservation- they stay busy.

Definitely a meal to remember~ :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter