How Much Was It?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!!!UPDATE 5/12/14 PG 30

I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that you just WALKED to DTD! I imagine that going to DLR would be more relaxing not having to rush to try to catch buses or see them just pass by.

Everything is so close together that the Disney owned resorts there do not even have buses! We loved that :)

That is so cool! When I have been looking into going to Disneyland I have always picked PPier. Therefore I am very excited to hear how you like it and how far of a walk it is from the parks.
I also fly from Detroit, how was the flight? Expensive? Long? Airport at LAX, was it confusing? Crazy busy? Was the shuttle service easy to find? Good customer service? Expensive? Thanks for your help! These are my biggest concerns with going, especially when we are on a strict budget.

Ok, is everybody ready to get this party started?

You betcha!

Our flight was at 6:30am so our day began crazy early.

Whoa. That's insane. Airlines do that on purpose, right? There's some scheduler out there going, "Okay, we got them on the seven o'clock plane... let's see if we can make 'em go for six thirty!"

(but it's not like anyone actually sleeps the night before they head to Disney anyway)

True.

But I'm betting you fell asleep just before the alarm went off.

We were flying Southwest and as we waited to board I was a little nervous about their boarding procedure.

Since we had a pretty long flight ahead of us I didn't want to be seated with strangers so I paid $12.50 pp for the option for a better place in line. We ended up being like 29-31A which meant we were among the first on and did not end up having a problem. I worried for nothing.

Wait. You say you paid for the upgrade, then when you got it, you worried for nothing?

Do you mean, even with paying the extra, you were worried that others had had the same thought and you'd still be out of luck?

We had a smooth flight and arrived at our layover in Denver 30 minutes early :cool1:

Did I mention that when Ruby and Elle flew through Denver, Elle was quite concerned? She had read the silly rumours surrounding Denver.

Even after I debunked them all, she still wasn't too sure about it. :laughing:

We had about an hour til our next flight so we grabbed some snacks and Caitlin took some pics.

She did?!?!?

No. Way.

We got super excited when we spotted the "Hollywood" sign from the airplane!

I would too. That's pretty cool.

We arrived at LAX right on time and our bags arrived about 15 minutes later.

Heh.
That sounds like first you guys arrived on a flight, then your bags flew in 15 minutes later, on another flight.

Nice shot. I can tell someone's getting better and better at photography.

I cannot even tell you how excited we were to be here.

Try. :rolleyes1:

I got in line to check-in while Caitlin and Dale hit the gift shop.

What? Dale made you stand in line while he went off gallavanting?

Is chivalry dead??? :faint:

We loved how everything was in walking distance from the hotel. To get to DTD we passed the DL Hotel
and within a few more minutes we were at DTD. Not needing a bus to get everywhere is amazing!

That right there, is one heck of a nice perk for staying at a DL resort!

Dale and Caitlin ordered some adult beverages. Caitlin had the Island Daiquiri while Dale tried the Panama Punch. They both enjoyed their selections :thumbsup2

I gotta know. Isn't there still a part of you that wants to tell Caitlin she's not old enough to order grown up drinks?

I'm thinking that the 'mom instinct' must still kick in, no?

For her entrée Caitlin wanted a sandwich wrap but they did not have any gluten free options so they wrapped it in lettuce.

Dale and I split the rack of ribs.

ummm.... I'm gonna go with door number two Monty.
Sorry, that lettuce wrap doesn't look too appetizing... but the ribs look good!

Even though the RFC tends to get a bad rap on the Dis, we all really enjoyed our meals. Good food and a lively atmosphere. A nice way to begin our DL adventure!

We used to eat there all the time when the kids were itty bitty. So I think I'm a little burnt out with the whole experience.

But I don't think we ever had a meal we didn't enjoy.

After we finished our meals it was time for more pictures.

Shocked! I'm absolutely gobsmacked!

Bellies full it was time to head out into DTD and see all that it had to offer!
Come back next time and Caitlin will tell you all about it :)

Sounds good! Thanks for the chapter! :goodvibes

That is so cool! When I have been looking into going to Disneyland I have always picked PPier. Therefore I am very excited to hear how you like it and how far of a walk it is from the parks.
I also fly from Detroit, how was the flight? Expensive? Long? Airport at LAX, was it confusing? Crazy busy? Was the shuttle service easy to find? Good customer service? Expensive? Thanks for your help! These are my biggest concerns with going, especially when we are on a strict budget.

We chose PP mostly for the theme park view they offer. You'll have to wait though to see the pics of our view.

We flew Southwest for about $260pp which really isn't much more than fares to WDW. It took about 6 hours to get to LAX including our layover.

The LAX airport was not confusing at all and each airline has its own stop for the Disneyland Express so you literally just walk outside and wait. The cost of the shuttle was 30$pp rt and I think it maxes out at 99$per family.

Let me know if you have more questions :)

;)
You betcha!

Whoa. That's insane. Airlines do that on purpose, right? There's some scheduler out there going, "Okay, we got them on the seven o'clock plane... let's see if we can make 'em go for six thirty!"

I tend to be an early riser so I prefer to get up and get moving so we have more time wherever we're headed/

True.

But I'm betting you fell asleep just before the alarm went off.

:rotfl:

Wait. You say you paid for the upgrade, then when you got it, you worried for nothing?

Do you mean, even with paying the extra, you were worried that others had had the same thought and you'd still be out of luck?

I ended up paying for the upgrade due to my worries.

Did I mention that when Ruby and Elle flew through Denver, Elle was quite concerned? She had read the silly rumours surrounding Denver.

Even after I debunked them all, she still wasn't too sure about it. :laughing:

Rumors about Denver? I hadn't heard any or I might have been concerned too :rotfl2:

She did?!?!?

No. Way.

I would too. That's pretty cool.

Heh.
That sounds like first you guys arrived on a flight, then your bags flew in 15 minutes later, on another flight.

Isnt that how it works ;)

Nice shot. I can tell someone's getting better and better at photography.

Try. :rolleyes1:

What? Dale made you stand in line while he went off gallavanting?

Is chivalry dead??? :faint:

In all fairness, the reservation was in my name.

That right there, is one heck of a nice perk for staying at a DL resort!

Yes it is!

I gotta know. Isn't there still a part of you that wants to tell Caitlin she's not old enough to order grown up drinks?

I'm thinking that the 'mom instinct' must still kick in, no?

I'm used to it

ummm.... I'm gonna go with door number two Monty.
Sorry, that lettuce wrap doesn't look too appetizing... but the ribs look good!

They were!

We used to eat there all the time when the kids were itty bitty. So I think I'm a little burnt out with the whole experience.

But I don't think we ever had a meal we didn't enjoy.

Shocked! I'm absolutely gobsmacked!

Sounds good! Thanks for the chapter! :goodvibes

Thanks for reading

When we last left off we had finished lunch at RFC. For those of you who have never been to Disneyland's DTD it is much smaller than the WDW one we have come to know and love! Idk if it's smaller per square footage than the other but there doesn't seem to be as many shops as the other ones and the ones they have are smaller than their WDW counterparts.

Our first stop was to check out the Lego statues because rumor had it my favorite movie had been legoized!

Although I do find it weird Belle looks like a Lego person but Beast looks normal :confused3

You will remember this one though

Inside they had a wizard

and another Disneyland specific

This makes much more sense with both Aladdin and Jasmine as lego people.

They also had an Avenger

One unique part of DTD is that the monorail to the parks leaves from here

They also have some unique restaurants

This place looked like so much fun! They also have dueling pianos on Thursdays!

The one on your left is unique the other I am sure you all have passed by in WDW.

I really liked this art shop better than the one in WDW

One of the things I found odd though is in a lot of these stores CMs are dressed normally. No store specific clothing like in WDW.

This seemed to be about the same size as its WDW counterpart

Just not as interesting to look at

I really like the architecture here though!

The Vault is DL's version of TrenD

I thought these purses were too cute!

I spy mom and dad!

This is DL's version of Goofy's Candy

A store tailored to younger girls

The DTD entrance to the Grand Californian

Another DL specific restaurant

The area was very pretty though

The World of Disney store is not as impressive as WDW's

I had to take this picture because I sent it to my grandma and asked how she ended up in DL?!

I thought the Disney map behind the main cash registers was pretty

And no DTD trip is complete without at least one purchase!

I plan on wearing this on our November trip :thumbsup2

After my purchase was done we headed back out!

We were going for our first look at the parks!

This completely blew my mind, they are literally across the way from one another!

This is in the center of the area

The ticket booths

Mine and Dad's tickets

He got Tow Mater and I got Donald... It's kinda scary how spot on Disney was with characters and our personalities!

Hidden Mickey bench!

Right across from each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious: That's my mind being blown.

Then we headed back from where we came

It's a very pretty DTD though

This is a cardboard cut out in a window. You walk through an area to get to Grand Californian and it's in one of the windows on your way.

We entered into the Grand Californian and it is a beautiful resort!

Hallway to their convention centers.

Doesn't this look like the perfect place to relax after a long park day?!

Artwork

Just love this lobby!!!

Their pool area

Entrance gates

Our home for the week!

Proximity to DCL

The buffet in our hotel where we ate on our last day

So you all know we chose this room based on the theme park view...

It did not disappoint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was outside our window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pixiedust: :furious: (mind being blown again)

We could even see DL!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the rest of our room

I loved the beach balls!

But we all know what really caught our attention!

After gaping open mouthed at the view we decided to head to the pool

the hallway

The pool

Me after I was done enjoying the slide!

I will leave you at the pool and mom can fill you in about the rest of the night![/

That view is AMAZING!!! :)

I like your shirt for November too. I'm trying to stock up on some new outfits for my trip. When are you going again?

Wow! Wow! Wowwowwow! That really is an amazing view! And I'm sure it was even better in person. How did you manage to tear yourself away from that!

The room itself is really adorable. How cute.

Really loved the DTD Disney pictures. It looks like such a cool area and it has lots of foliage. Just perfect.

Love your new sweatshirt.

Very cool that the parks are so close together. I am glad you survived having your mind blown that many times in one day! :rotfl2:

Disneyland's DTD it is much smaller than the WDW one we have come to know and love! Idk if it's smaller per square footage than the other but there doesn't seem to be as many shops as the other ones and the ones they have are smaller than their WDW counterparts.

Makes sense. They have less area to work with.

Our first stop was to check out the Lego statues because rumor had it my favorite movie had been legoized!

So did you ever find out if they did a lego Scream 4?

Although I do find it weird Belle looks like a Lego person but Beast looks normal :confused3

I was thinking, "Who's the little kid with Beast?" :confused3

Inside they had a wizard

And here I thought it was a gnome with a mushroom on his head.

One unique part of DTD is that the monorail to the parks leaves from here

I imagine it doesn't travel very far.

This place looked like so much fun! They also have dueling pianos on Thursdays!

I've never been to a place with dueling pianos. I'd love to, some day.

The Vault is DL's version of TrenD

Too bad you can't get in.

I thought these purses were too cute!

I'm sorry, but if I wanna get my man card back, I'm not allowed to comment here.

I spy mom and dad!

:laughing: Took me a while to find them!

I had to take this picture because I sent it to my grandma and asked how she ended up in DL?!

What did she say?

This completely blew my mind, they are literally across the way from one another!

!!! I had no idea!

Mind equally blown.

He got Tow Mater and I got Donald... It's kinda scary how spot on Disney was with characters and our personalities!

Oh, really?

So you have a temper and like to run around without any pants on?

Hidden Mickey bench!

Gotta admit. That's pretty clever.

Right across from each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:furious: That's my mind being blown.

::yes:: ka-boom.

This is a cardboard cut out in a window. You walk through an area to get to Grand Californian and it's in one of the windows on your way.

I think I'm missing something here.
Where's the cutout?

Doesn't this look like the perfect place to relax after a long park day?!

::yes:: Gimme a good book and I'm all set.

So you all know we chose this room based on the theme park view...

It did not disappoint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was outside our window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pixiedust: :furious: (mind being blown again)

We could even see DL!!!!!!!!!!

Those views are absolutely amazing!
Just. Amazing.

I loved the beach balls!

That's a really nice touch! Can you imagine some little girl finding those?

Oh, never mind. You did!

Me after I was done enjoying the slide!

Looks like someone got herself a new bathing suit.

I will leave you at the pool and mom can fill you in about the rest of the night!

Thanks for the update Caitlin! :goodvibes

We chose PP mostly for the theme park view they offer. You'll have to wait though to see the pics of our view.

We flew Southwest for about $260pp which really isn't much more than fares to WDW. It took about 6 hours to get to LAX including our layover.

The LAX airport was not confusing at all and each airline has its own stop for the Disneyland Express so you literally just walk outside and wait. The cost of the shuttle was 30$pp rt and I think it maxes out at 99$per family.

Let me know if you have more questions :)

Awesome...thanks so much! That flight price is not bad at all! So cool! Can't wait to read more...

All I can say it WOW!!! Your view was amazing!!
Poor Belle! She looked so bizarre compared to the Beast.
I love how close everything is. The Grand Californian looks similar to the Wilderness Lodge.

Seems so weird that everything is right there, how fantastic was that?? Amazing pictures....DTD looks gorgeous!

That view is AMAZING!!! :)

I like your shirt for November too. I'm trying to stock up on some new outfits for my trip. When are you going again?

We definitely had some pixie dust!!

November 4th-11th it's my 23rd birthday trip!

Wow! Wow! Wowwowwow! That really is an amazing view! And I'm sure it was even better in person. How did you manage to tear yourself away from that!

The room itself is really adorable. How cute.

Really loved the DTD Disney pictures. It looks like such a cool area and it has lots of foliage. Just perfect.

Love your new sweatshirt.

Very cool that the parks are so close together. I am glad you survived having your mind blown that many times in one day! :rotfl2:

It was just stunning! Whenever we were in the room we would always have be looking out the window!

It was very nicely themed.

It was a gorgeous place!

Thank you!

It was so weird because you hear about them being close together but you never realize just how close together they are! I am glad I did too!

Makes sense. They have less area to work with.

So did you ever find out if they did a lego Scream 4?

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That would have been awesome!

I was thinking, "Who's the little kid with Beast?" :confused3

it's weird I don't know why they do that to some of the statues.

And here I thought it was a gnome with a mushroom on his head.

I imagine it doesn't travel very far.

It goes from DTD and a has a loop around Tomorrowland in DL. It's not a bad ride but it is short. It helps though because this monorail is not air conditioned so you wouldn't want to be on it for too long anyway.

I've never been to a place with dueling pianos. I'd love to, some day.

It's so much fun! I am hoping to stop by Jellyrolls in November!

Too bad you can't get in.

:rotfl2:

I'm sorry, but if I wanna get my man card back, I'm not allowed to comment here.

:laughing: Took me a while to find them!

What did she say?

She said she missed us so she thought she would stop by :thumbsup2

!!! I had no idea!

Mind equally blown.

It was crazy!

Oh, really?

So you have a temper and like to run around without any pants on?

You just summed up a typical Friday night :lmao::lmao:

Gotta admit. That's pretty clever.

::yes:: ka-boom.

I think I'm missing something here.
Where's the cutout?

The fountain and the carthay circle building were the cutouts. It looks like a picture though.

::yes:: Gimme a good book and I'm all set.

Those views are absolutely amazing!
Just. Amazing.

We got very lucky!

That's a really nice touch! Can you imagine some little girl finding those?

Oh, never mind. You did!

Looks like someone got herself a new bathing suit.

Yes I did! I ordered it like two weeks before we left :thumbsup2

Thanks for the update Caitlin! :goodvibes

Thanks for the post Pkondz

Great update...love those views! They would be amazing at night!
It was so amazing! They were we have pics from that night!

All I can say it WOW!!! Your view was amazing!!
Poor Belle! She looked so bizarre compared to the Beast.
I love how close everything is. The Grand Californian looks similar to the Wilderness Lodge.
It was amazing!!!

Yeah she looks more like the Beast in this one!

It really does! We made that comparison many times!

Seems so weird that everything is right there, how fantastic was that?? Amazing pictures....DTD looks gorgeous!

It was so nice!!! It was great being able to walk from your hotel room to the parks or DTD.

It was!

Joining in!

Love DLR!!!! I took my DD for her fifth birthday in 2012, and I'm hoping that we will be returning in January for her 7th! :woohoo:

Loved the tour of DTD - we have not spent a lot of time there. Your room view was amazing!

Joining in!

Love DLR!!!! I took my DD for her fifth birthday in 2012, and I'm hoping that we will be returning in January for her 7th! :woohoo:

Loved the tour of DTD - we have not spent a lot of time there. Your room view was amazing!

Welcome!

DL is amazing!!

You should take some time out on your next trip!

We were very lucky with the view we had!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter