How much walking should I do before my trip?

blondinkaya

DIS Veteran
I'm up to two miles a day (well, more with everyday activity, but dh and I go on two-mile walks). Do you think this is enough to prepare for the World, since the walking there will probably be walk and stop, different paces, etc, or should I up my mileage?

TIA!

Up it.

I'm in great shape since I teach aerobics. But after 4 days of walking through WDW, my calves were soooo sore!!!

Up the mileage. :)

I think you'll be fine. You'll probably walk more than that while you are in the parks, but adrenaline will carry you a couple of miles. ;) If you can walk more to prepare, go for it, but I wouldn't worry too much.

If you able to than increase it. What's good for your vacation is also good for your heart!:lovestruc

I don't know about everybody else, but I would suggest practice standing around for long periods of time. :lmao: My husband and I were fine while we were actually walking. It was the standing in line that did us in!! Please make sure you bring comfy shoes. Also, mix it up a bit. Don't wear the same comfy shoes everyday. Switch them around so you don't wear the same ones in a row but make sure they are broken-in. The first year we went, we could barely walk by the end of the trip!!

I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in April and considering it a good start for Disney in October!! OK, mostly just joking, but we did walk an awful lot on our 1st trip!

Excellent tip about changing your shoes!!
Bring along at least TWO pair of very comfortable shoes plus sandals /flipflops etc.
In the past I've worn athletic walking shoes with socks during the day and then open air sandals or flipflops at night. And don't be shy asking a loved one for a foot massage:lmao: , (be willing to reciprocate:scared1: )

I wore a pedometer one day last year and we walked like 5 or 6 miles in a day. Up your milage and get really good shoes. Two pairs actually and rotate them.

Thanks for the advice. We have until May, so upping the mileage won't be a problem.

I hear ya about comfy shoes! Dh and I went to Paris for a week back in 1999. Our hotel wasn't too far from downtown, but it wasn't too close, either. Instead of taking the subway, we walked a lot. I definitely learned my lesson about shoes, I was in agony for the last half of our vacation (didn't really get to enjoy Notre Dame; instead I sat on a bench, concentrating on my hurt feet). I'll have to find a second pair of comfy shoes to switch out with (I love my Nikes, though) ...

I have found that for a few of rides at disney it is always nice to have waterproof shoes, or just some shoes that will drain and dry fast (Crocs). Even though there are only about 3 rides at disney that would leave you vulnerable to getting wet you will be glad to have these kinds of shoes, or at least an extra pair.

You will be fine if you regularly walk about 2 miles.:thumbsup2

We might see you there since we are going May 3!

Never thought about my (crocs) good idea:thumbsup2 but you do walk a lot and the last time we were there we had changed our shoes everyday whick helped. Were going in may 1st week and staying at POR so we might c u there :cool2:

Never thought about my (crocs) good idea:thumbsup2 but you do walk a lot and the last time we were there we had changed our shoes everyday whick helped. Were going in may 1st week and staying at POR so we might c u there :cool2:

We all wore Crocs to Disney last year (except my husband). I brought other shoes just in case, but we didn't wear any of the other ones. I also brought socks (I know, I know, socks with Crocs! :scared1: ) and I should have saved the space in my suitcase for souvenirs! We didn't wear one pair of socks! But, on the upside, when we got back home we had cleans socks for two weeks!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

One thing about the Crocs though, we all had fairly new Crocs, and by the time we were through the first few days, the bottoms were signifigantly worn! However, in 10 months since we've been home, the bottoms really havne't worn any more. I think it was all that hot cement that did it!

At night before you go to bed rub your feet with some nice lotion, put on cotton socks and your feet will feel so much better in the morning. :cool1:

We just got back and also wore pedometers(my daughter wondered how much we actually walk), one day we walked over 12 miles. We stay at the boardwalk and walk everywhere and never used the boats to the parks. That day we started early and didn't stop until 12am and hit all four parks in one day! The other days we averaged a little over 8 miles.

So have to agree with SuziQ but I'm always so much more sore standing in line than I am on the rides....key is to never stop I guess. We typically walked 10-11 miles a day at Disney (I wear a pedometer). We did more than that when we went w/o DD. It's a LOT of walking. If you are in decent shape you should be okay. If you are someone who could use a little exercise (I include myself in this group ;) ) I would try to up the walking. If you are doing 2 miles every day w/o fail you should be okay. But if you are only doing it a couple of times a week, I would try to walk more now. I go to the gym a couple of days a week and take a weekly water aerobics class. But I always add an additional walking regiment to my routine a couple of months before we go to Disney. Nothing is worse than being in pain while waiting in line. I also pop Aleve like candy after about day 3 :rotfl: . Also I would suggest peppermint foot lotion for nighttime. You put nice cotton socks on after you apply it and your legs feel great the next day!

DH and I usually average anywhere from 6-10 miles a day, depending on which parks we visit. The best part about all the walking is it wears off all the yummy food we consume.

I usually rotate between my crocs, good worn-in tennis shoes and sandals. Dh takes several pair of good tennis shoes and lots of socks. He changes his shoes and socks every afternoon when were return to our resort, before we head out again for supper ADR.

What great ideas! Has anyone measured how many miles one would walk if they did once around the park for the various parks?
Guess I should get off the boards and go for a walk!!

I did not prepare for walking around Disney World at all when we went for our very first time last October. I had good intentions, but I never got around to pushing myself out the door to take a walk. So, how did I do there? GREAT! I did not have one bit of problem with foot pain or sore legs. The only problem I had was when I wore new socks that worked down inside my shoes (I haven't had socks do that since I was a kid) and my heels were blistered. But I had sandals to wear, so the blisters weren't even a problem.

And in case you are wondering, I am in my 50s and 100 pounds overweight and a very sedentary person. Dh is disabled but ambulatory and he made out very well also. We did go back to our room every day for a break because dh has to nap daily. But for both of us, our feet and legs were quite happy the whole time we were there.

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter