How much to tip?

We got caught out our first trip to Orlando - the sky cap grabbed our cases and put them on a trolley before we had chance to stop him. We then realised we only had $10 minmum bills so had to give him that even though we only had 2 suitcases and both of them were wheely ones too!

Now we hold tight to our cases and move them ourselves!

On our first trip to Orlando we were followed down the road by the waitress from TGi's cause we thought the bill included the tip and so didnt leave anything extra. :confused3

Even though we were (unknowingly) in the wrong I was so humiliated by this that I paid up the minimum I could work out while stood on the street and we never went back.

It does annoy me now though, many years later, to get one of those patronising "to our international customers" cards with the bill :)

I used to work in a restaurant before i left college and would have to say most of the UK rarely leave a "decent" tip. i used to have tables who would order £150 of food and then leave £1 or so tip!! Although its not aswell known in the UK the average is still 10-15% for good service, obviously less for bad service.

I think the difference in tipping in the UK and the US, is in the UK it is a tip to say an extra thank you for good service. In the US it's a service charge to supplement low rages - it's even taxed as such by the government.

What I hate is being 'asked' for a tip; I find that rude. I also hate it when you get the check and the server has written in big letters "tip not included". I guess they only do this if you have an English accent :)

Another example was on a shuttle bus from our IDrive hotel to WDW - all round the drivers seat were large signs saying things like: "Tipping is a great way to say thanks to your driver", not just one sign, but about 5!

:rotfl2: Yes Tim, i know what you mean. But we always tip for good service, ad if there is already a service charge then we only tip extra if the service has been very good. We do the same at home as well. If service has been bad and there is a service charge then i'm afraid i would have to subtract the charge and leave something like a $1 bill to get my point accross. I think this is fair because the servers shouldn't think it's a god given right to be tipped for bad service as this sends the wrong message, even if they have already been taxed. :)

Audrey

Red-Snapper said:
On our first trip to Orlando we were followed down the road by the waitress from TGi's cause we thought the bill included the tip and so didnt leave anything extra. :confused3

Even though we were (unknowingly) in the wrong I was so humiliated by this that I paid up the minimum I could work out while stood on the street and we never went back.

It does annoy me now though, many years later, to get one of those patronising "to our international customers" cards with the bill :)

I think what the server did was disgraceful. I would not have given in in that situation. How unbelievably ignorant.

keasden said:
Yorkshire? Now thats a tip! :rotfl: (spoken like a true Lancastrian)

Very good. I have heard the only things good in Lancashire are the roads out. :rotfl: :banana:

I think we best stop there with the White/Red rose jokes at least we're not in a southern county :rotfl2:

I tip about 15% - maybe more if it is great service - less if buffett or counter service (10%). I have to laugh when i read about all these low wages - i am from the north of england so the wages are low. But, over five years ago, i talked to a cm from scotland who works in chef mickeys - he was getting about £7.70 an hour plus tips - he said the tips were a lot better than his wages and i can't remember the figures he quoted but they were like hundreds of extra dollars per week. but he did say that you have to work a while at disney to get a tippable position. But the money he was talking about earning was great and i was beginning to wonder if we are not being taken for mugs with all of this tipping thing. These people do a great job - well most of them - but they are not doctors or attourneys - they wait on tables.

Red-Snapper said:

In an episode of the Sopranos a waiter made the mistake of doing that to 2 of the Soprano crew and got filled with lead!!

wayneg said:
Very good. I have heard the only things good in Lancashire are the roads out. :rotfl: :banana:

I think we best stop there with the White/Red rose jokes at least we're not in a southern county :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: :rotfl: Too funny. I'm a Yorkshire girl at heart and as I point out to my family I still live North of the Watford Gap!!

Seriously though, tipping is one thing I hate when visiting the USA. Not because I don't like doing it but because I am afraid to get it wrong and be seen as someone who is cheap. I have spent as much time researching the best days, restaurants etc for this trip as I have spent finding out what is the acceptable tip for bell hop, valet parking, spa services etc!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter