How much to pay for private tutoring

Tree

Mouseketeer
My almost 7 yr old son has autism and we had in home help for 2 hour a week reinforcing what they did in school. However that will be ending in the spring. I want to continue to pay a teacher or a teacher's assistant (or even a college student specializing in education)

What is the going rate for in house tutoring? My son works much better with someone else working with him than me or I would do more hours of it myself.

Also should I ask the school system for recommendations or is that a no no

We're in a Chicago suburb and actual teachers charge anywhere from $50-75/hr. I would think TA's and education majors would charge a lot less and be just as good consdering many TA's around here do have their teaching degree but the job market here is so competitive, they have to settle for a TA position. Education majors also have the latest in teaching methods.

I would DEFINITELY ask around at the schools as many teachers will be looking for supplemental work, especially in the summer time when they may not want the full commitment of summer school but would still like spending money.

Here in upstate NY when I do home tutoring (through the school) I get 25.00/hour. If I do it on my own I usually charge 20.00/hour(tax free) othertwise I charge the school rate.

Here in NC, I charge around $20.00 an hour and I have been a certified teacher for 14 years. Now, places like Sylvan will charge around $45.00 an hour, but your child will be in a group, versus one one one with a private tutor. Ask some teachers at the local school for suggestions. I always get referrals from the teachers I work with at school.

CT - elementary student, reading tutor (elementrary teacher), at tutor's home - $30 hr; high school student, algebra 2 tutor (retired engineer, substitute teacher), at our home - $50 hr. I asked at both schools for reccomended tutors.

a good friend is a teacher who works with students who are developmentally delayed. she does tutoring on the side and because she specializes and works with children who suffer from autism she charges $75 per hour for additional tutoring.

she is not allowed to work with students who are in her class but does work with students in another class in her school. i know that for those parents it is quite helpful for the children to see a familiar face and she can consult with the students main teacher on achievements (for instance this one 7 year old managed to zipper his own coat but his regular teacher did not know this and so was still doing it for him. my friend told the teacher that with her he is able to ziper his coat himself and she stopped.)

i believe that she works with children who are highly autistic but she always stresses how much the kids she works with need consistency.

lara

My 10 y/o daughter has Distractional ADD so keeping her focused to do homework is a challenge. Like your situation, me helping her usually doesn't work. Last year I called the local high school and asked for recommendations as far as any students who might be interested in helping her with homework. We ended up having a wonderful girl come and help my DD 4 days a week after school w/homework. She was a hs senior (now graduated) and was on the honor roll... She charged $10.00/hr.

I don't know if that would be an option for your son butit might be something to consider.

GL :goodvibes

I don't know if this helps but I did in-home training for families with Autistic students and the school district paid me $25 an hour. I am a certified special education teacher in Texas.

You need to look into what's called Extended School Year-or something like that. My son does not apply but yours may. It's a service provided by the school for Spec. Ed. kids who lose progression of their advancement over summer. Definitely look at his IEP- there should be something in there about it and google it for more info. If your child regresses over the summer on his IEP goals then you should qualify.

I pay $30 hr for a teacher to come to my home to tutor my daughter..

Thanks I was thinking in the $25 a range as it would be alot of reinforcing letters, numbers, site words and some phonetics. Typical kindergarten/1st grade stuff.

He is in extended school program which is an additional 5 weeks during the summer and goes all day as well.

I think I will run it by the principal to see if she has any recommendations that teachers are looking for additional tutoring jobs.

DH is a teacher (well, he's unemployed and looking for a full-time teaching job again); he used to charge upwards of $50.00 an hour. But, sorry to be that annoying person that brings the economy in to everything, you are definitely going to find competitive rates right now. Most teachers in our area have gone down to $20.00-$30.00 an hour just to get some extra income.

Like you said, talk to your principal. That's where DH always found the kiddos he tutored!

DH got MBA and the college asked him to come in a few times and tutor stats for group. He then has some of the students who call for private tutoring and he charges 20 and hour, 25 if more than 1 student and they come together.

I am trying to find one for my 9yo daughter right now. They 2 I have found so far are charging $40 an hour. I need to find someone that charges less.

We are in PA, we pay a teacher with a masters degree $35.00 hour.

I'm probably gonna get flamed but I pay $80 an hour to a teacher with a masters. They have an office not far from us and there are a continual stream of students for 1 on 1 tutoring. My daughter has no special needs she just needed help with reading. We originally had a teacher from her school tutor her and she was charging $30 an hour. My daughter has really progressed since we started with our current tutor.

I can't imagine getting more than $25 - $30 an hour around here (and I live pretty darn close to Seattle) unless I was tutoring something more specialized, like advanced math, music, or foreign language. When I tutor through the school district, the certified tutoring payrate is $25 an hour.

As an education major myself I wouldn't underestimate their ability, most of them would love the experience and would work with your child very cheaply (probably 10-15 and hour if not less). They have to work in the schools for their method classes so they should be very familiar with the curriculum as well.

My boss recently had to get a tutor for his daughter in Chicago, it's $70 an hour. She is a teacher with her school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter