How much to pay dog sitter?

I think the lack of human interaction is what she was referring to. My dog goes out about every hour, but can hold it forever (rough winter here too!). She gets depressed if even one of the kids is gone for a couple of days.

That's one nice thing about the kennel - lots of action there :)

I am a little sad to hear of people being gone for ten nights and having their dogs let out twice a day. We have a niece that will be here in our home for the 15 nights we'll be Disney. She will receive $450 in cash plus a $50 gas card, $50 Whole Foods card, $50 chipotle gift card and a $50 Office Depot card. Loving our dog and cat as we do is important to us and we feel this is fair pay.

If my dog had her way, she would lounge in the house all day and go out twice to potty.

I am a little sad to hear of people being gone for ten nights and having their dogs let out twice a day. We have a niece that will be here in our home for the 15 nights we'll be Disney. She will receive $450 in cash plus a $50 gas card, $50 Whole Foods card, $50 chipotle gift card and a $50 Office Depot card. Loving our dog and cat as we do is important to us and we feel this is fair pay.

I think it depends on the dog. Ten years ago we spent $15 dollars a day to board our dog in a great kennel. She hated it and would not eat. We found that she did better when she was left home and had my son or father check on her twice a day.

I dogsit frequently. People usually give me $10 a dog, offer to fill the fridge with the kinds of food that I like (if I'm staying over at the house), and gas money to get to and from their house. If they have to walk your dogs or do anything extreme, I would bump it up to $12-$15 per dog.

Remember: your dogs get to stay in their own home, with their own stuff, and feel comfortable without having to be locked in a kennel. It's SO much cheaper when you compare it to a kennel stay. Plus! Your dogs won't come back home smelling like they need a visit to the groomer!! :D So really, it's not that expensive.

But I liked the idea someone mentioned about trading services!! :)

reading some of this I think I'm very lucky. my sister comes over and stays while we are away and I give her the two bottles of liquor we are allowed to bring home duty free.
over the last few vacations her 19 year old son has stayed with her and him I give a cash amount, usually about $50 a week, but that's just because I want to and not because I have to. its to help him out.
yeah, I think I appreciate my sister so much more now. :hug:

it's time to raise your child care rates. As you can see folks get more money for dogsitting.
!

I agree- my daughter watches a little boy days a week after school. one day for 2 hours and the other day for 3 hours and gets 60.00 a week!
She dog sat for a friends dog and went over 2 times a day (the grandfather stopped by in the morning to take care of that one so all she had was feeding and letting out at night) for a week she got 75.00 (plus they gave her a 25.00 gift card to a clothing store she liked)

I watch a 2nd grader before/after school. Her parents pay me $50 a week.
I tell you this because her parents are now looking after my dogs while we are on vacation. There are 3 of them. These people are my neighbor (live 2 doors down across the street). I have 2 black labs and 1 silky terrior. They are coming to my house in the morning, afternoon, and evening to let them out. They are also feeding my fish. They aren't walking them, but they did send me a text yesterday telling us they are spending about an hour a day playing with them and giving them attention.
Anyways, how much should I pay them? we never really discussed rates ahead of time. Oh, They started watching them on a Tuesday evening, and we are coming back on Wednesday evening (the following week).
Thanks!

After reading many people responses. I think an even trade off is your best bet. They are watching your dogs for 9 days. I would give them two weeks free day care plus a little gift from where you vacationed. Remember you are giving them a more valuable service in watching their child and I am sure they realize this.

I am a pet sitter in South Fl. I charge $20 per each half hour visit. Most of my dog clients get three visits each day, so that is $60 per day. Some only ask for two visits per day.
I have to make enough money to support my Disney addiction!

I walk dogs in Richmond. I charge $15 per visit but will charge a "discounted rate" for booking multiple days or ongoing clients. I like to charge $100 a week for vacation-sitting as it requires more of my time.

However, since you watch their 2nd grader for *SO* cheap, I would also just offer them a "free" week or two in trade for the dog-sitting. :thumbsup2

Boy, my DD is super cheap. I had to convince her to raise her rates a few years back from $5 per day-period! Now she charges $7 per night per animal and the dogs come to our house. That way they are never alone in case of fire/break in/accident. I've got one beside me right now that is on day 16 and has 15 more days to stay (family went to South Africa). Another is coming for a meet and greet Sat. who'll stay 15/16 days while the family goes to Germany. And more coming when that one goes home.

Oh, size doesn't matter either: Great Danes and Siberian Huskies are the same as little dogs.:thumbsup2

I just got a flyer in my mailbox from two rising high school seniors who will watch dogs for $12/day. Seems pretty reasonable since I think it would cost me $50/day to board mine. And I don't get my dogs bordetella shots so that would be another boarding expense.

Off topic a bit but just for a laugh, we are going away 3 days and have a gerbil. Wonder how much to give my niece to stop by and give him some bird seed. :D
The cat died so we don't have much in the area of pet concerns these days.

This kinda threads are werido to me.....

what happen to nebors just doing things for each other with out expecting to get paid.

Anyways I board our dog on a farm with lady we know she charges 22 night.

I would do a trade with your nebor week of dog care for week of child care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter