How much $$ to give our kids for souvenirs...

Ours our a bit younger - 6 year old twins. We are only giving them $25 for the entire trip. We are on the DxDP so they don't need it for snacks or anything only for souvenirs.

Last December we went over board with giving the kids money for souviners, so this May trip we are also giving them 25 Disney dollars or gift card instead fir their extras (tshirts, toys, etc.). We pay for the snacks and food items so that doesn't come out of their spending money:)

I don't think that is too unreasonable for younger kids. Now older ones can use their own allowance money etc for souvies as well as the money the parents allow them. I read on one of the threads once that someone gave Disney dollars as allowance money leading up to their trip...a great idea!

Our girls will be 8 and 5 1/2 when we go and depending on how much they save, they will have $70-$100 dollars to spend, each. I am still trying to decide how to give them the money - so they feel like it is "their" money, kwim? They are much more careful about how their money is spent than mine! :lmao:

does anyone know if the kids buy souviners can they be sent back to our room for free or is there a charge for that service???

thanks!!!

We had stuff sent back last year without a charge but I would double check at the gift shop that you are making the purchase to make sure since things change all the time:thumbsup2

Our girls were 5 and 3 for our trip last year, and we gave them each $25 for the entire week. We bought all of their food/snacks, of course. They used their money for a bit of candy at Goofy's, and a couple of souvies that they picked (hats and stuffed animals).

We are a family that just doesn't shop and spend money on lots of stuff while we're there (or anytime, for that matter). We aren't cheap, but we aren't into stuff so much. The trip itself is enough.

Also, "Tinkerbell" leaves a small little something overnight each night we are there (stickers/notepads/markers...all Disney themed). So, the girls don't seem to even feel like they are missing out :confused3.

If it matters, we go to Disney once a year. Maybe if it was a once every few years, we would feel differently?

This year, they will be 6 and 4. We might up the pot to $35. We are staying an extra couple of days.

does anyone know if the kids buy souviners can they be sent back to our room for free or is there a charge for that service???

thanks!!!

They now send them to the resort gift shop (at the value resorts.) There is no charge.

Our girls will be 8 and 5 1/2 when we go and depending on how much they save, they will have $70-$100 dollars to spend, each. I am still trying to decide how to give them the money - so they feel like it is "their" money, kwim? They are much more careful about how their money is spent than mine! :lmao:

I have read of other parents giving their children play money to keep up with. When the child was ready to buy something their mom (or dad) would give them the "real" money. That way they were responsible for holding on to their money, and could easily count to see how much they had left, but there were no worries about losing money either.

We are planning on giving our DS6 my husband's $75 birthday fun card. We will probably buy a few other things we have talked about, like the build your own light saber. Does anyone know if the card has to be spent entirely on the day of your birthday or is it good throughout the remainder of your trip?

I have read of other parents giving their children play money to keep up with. When the child was ready to buy something their mom (or dad) would give them the "real" money. That way they were responsible for holding on to their money, and could easily count to see how much they had left, but there were no worries about losing money either.

We are planning on giving our DS6 my husband's $75 birthday fun card. We will probably buy a few other things we have talked about, like the build your own light saber. Does anyone know if the card has to be spent entirely on the day of your birthday or is it good throughout the remainder of your trip?

last year for DD's bday i told everyone no toys, she has enough anyway so she wasn't missing out. I asked them to get her disney dollars or money for her trip. Between dis dollars, gift cards (the credit kind that can be used anywhere) and cash, she raked in over $300!!:woohoo: Plus before that the easter bunny left her $40 dis dollars (this year too) and she earned money throughout the year.

I know your thinking that's a lot of money for a 4 yr old, and it was. So we kept it with us and when she wanted something we would give her the money so she could "buy it". We went for SWW she is a HUGE SW fan. So she bought a SWW shirt, a pink R2D2, and her BFF's bday party was the day we got back, so she got her a pink r2(also a SW fan) as well. She got a misting fan, and she got some princess dolls. That's it. She didn't want anything else. She bought her brother (who did not go, he was 15 mo and this was HER trip) a cars pillow, and cars shirt, and some mickey goofy and donald figures at AK.

I was happy that she didn't want a lot of things. I was also happy she wanted to get gifts for everyone else and was willing to use her money. She kept saying in the gift stores, "let's get it later so we don't have to carry it." and she never mentioned those things again. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter