How much to give for graduation gift

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
I teach 5th grade in a small town. Before this year, I have never received graduation invitations from any of my former students. This year, I have received three invitations so far. I haven't seen the kids more than to just wave and say hello since I had them 8 years ago. Their mothers all work for the district that I teach in so I see them a couple of times a year when we have district get togethers. I plan on sending them each a card. How much money would be appropriate?

I somewhat see this putting you in an awkward position. If you do give them money, that opens you up to more former students in years to come as the word will spread since it is a small town. If you don't give anything however, that also will get around as well.

I always maintained my boundaries in and out of the classroom when I was teaching. I don't know if it was the student or parent (since the parents work around you somewhat) who suggested they send an invitation to you, but maybe talk to those parents about how it is putting you in a weird position unintentionally. Yes, still get them a card, but as for a monetary gift, it doesn't seem you're all that close to them, so $20-25? Possibly even put it on an Amazon gift card or something?

I don't want to say that no monetary gift could be the correct answer, but it may be in this instance. A card saying congrats and good luck in your future could be enough to show that you got the invite but also show not enough connection to warrant a gift.... Also, you may want to ask other colleagues what they have done if they've received any in the past from students who have been at the "distance" you described.

Again, this is a seemingly tricky situation for a small town school district.

I feel for you, this is a bad position to be put in.
Could you possibly send something meaningful and inexpensive, like a book or a frame.
Not to sound cheap, but I picked up some wallet sized photo frames, that are nicely decorated for graduation, at Party City for $1.99 each. I am using them for my son to give to each of his aunts as a special addition to his grad party favors, but they could easily be given to a graduate to decorate a dorm room, or bedroom at home.
It may sound cheesy, but Dr Suess' Oh The Places You'll Go is very graduation appropriate, and not as childish as it may seem. I have used quotes from the book in my son's party decor- and his is a college graduation.

I feel for you, this is a bad position to be put in.
Could you possibly send something meaningful and inexpensive, like a book or a frame.
Not to sound cheap, but I picked up some wallet sized photo frames, that are nicely decorated for graduation, at Party City for $1.99 each. I am using them for my son to give to each of his aunts as a special addition to his grad party favors, but they could easily be given to a graduate to decorate a dorm room, or bedroom at home.
It may sound cheesy, but Dr Suess' Oh The Places You'll Go is very graduation appropriate, and not as childish as it may seem. I have used quotes from the book in my son's party decor- and his is a college graduation.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this as an awkward situation for the OP.

One or two opens the flood gates. In a small town the OP could see more invites in the future when past students see the precedent is set

Precisely. Especially considering the OP admitted they see them in passing and work more with the mothers. So the mom's are probably the ones that put the kids up to it. This is why I never lived in the town I taught in. It's nice to know you are remembered, but again, either way, word will spread of what is done for the graduate... It's inevitable.

My kids sent announcements to a few favored teachers when they graduated. I usually delivered those in person with a comment from me that no gift was expected, they just wanted to share their good news and thanks for help through the years. A card would be nice, but even that wasn't necessary.

Our oldest just graduated college and I'm about to hunt down his elementary school guidance counselor so I can send an announcement...... not in search of a gift, but as a thank you for all her personal support through the years (to both him and us) when the going got tough. It will make her smile, and that's all we're after.

since you no longer see the kids I would just do a $25.00 gas gift card or target gift card

I would do a card only and maybe a little reflection of something they did or said while in your class.

I think a hand written note wishing them well with some thoughts about knowing them would be very appreciated. It doesn't even have to be a "bought" card. When I've received personal notes (not cards) in this age of texting it has been really special.

I am a teacher and occasionally receive invitations from current and former students. I send a card with a nice note inside unless that student was my teacher aide for the current year. then I also enclose $10 gift card to a favorite eating place/store.

I teach 5th grade in a small town. Before this year, I have never received graduation invitations from any of my former students. This year, I have received three invitations so far. I haven't seen the kids more than to just wave and say hello since I had them 8 years ago. Their mothers all work for the district that I teach in so I see them a couple of times a year when we have district get togethers. I plan on sending them each a card. How much money would be appropriate?

Honestly, I would send a card with a note and no money.

Honestly, I would send a card with a note and no money.

This. When my kids graduated, we sent tons of announcements out; not because we were expecting money, but because we wanted to let people know, including some favorite or especially great teachers from their younger years.

Honestly, for this I'd buy a whole bunch of 5.00 gift cards (with the thought being you may get more in the future) to a yogurt place or Starbucks and send a nice card with a message about "have a little treat to celebrate"! It's easy, it's the thought that counts. Send 10.00 card if you want to be more generous, but a five dollar card will buy them a treat and won't be hard to do even if your numbers grow!

Honestly, for this I'd buy a whole bunch of 5.00 gift cards (with the thought being you may get more in the future) to a yogurt place or Starbucks and send a nice card with a message about "have a little treat to celebrate"! It's easy, it's the thought that counts. Send 10.00 card if you want to be more generous, but a five dollar card will buy them a treat and won't be hard to do even if your numbers grow!

My question is why should she send any gift at all? An announcement is just that, an announcement; it doesn't, nor should it, require a gift in return.

My question is why should she send any gift at all? An announcement is just that, an announcement; it doesn't, nor should it, require a gift in return.
I think the word INVITATION has morphed into ANNOUNCEMENT. One suggests a gift, the other doesn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter