• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much to give for a wedding gift?

What about an NYC wedding for a well-established couple who make more money than we do? I have no idea what to do. Money is a little tight for us now. They didn't register for anything, and don't need anything, so it's either money or nothing.

What about an NYC wedding for a well-established couple who make more money than we do? I have no idea what to do. Money is a little tight for us now. They didn't register for anything, and don't need anything, so it's either money or nothing.
Maybe a donation for an amount you can afford to a charity in their honor.

I honestly go by how well I know the person, and what they have going on in their life. The last one they were taking their first trip to Disney on their honeymoon so I packed them all kinds of stuff they would use for their trip! Gift cards, ponchos, sunscreen,mickey and minnie hats (wedding themed of course), gift card to walgreens for pictures after the honeymoon and fun luggage tags. I maybe spent 60 bucks on the whole present. But they LOVED opening the present the day before and packing the stuff. I even had a Disney tote that I put everything in that they used to and from Orlando. I prefer gifts that MEAN something to someone. Other than a random gift that anyone could give.

I honestly go by how well I know the person, and what they have going on in their life. The last one they were taking their first trip to Disney on their honeymoon so I packed them all kinds of stuff they would use for their trip! Gift cards, ponchos, sunscreen,mickey and minnie hats (wedding themed of course), gift card to walgreens for pictures after the honeymoon and fun luggage tags. I maybe spent 60 bucks on the whole present. But they LOVED opening the present the day before and packing the stuff. I even had a Disney tote that I put everything in that they used to and from Orlando. I prefer gifts that MEAN something to someone. Other than a random gift that anyone could give.

I totally love this idea! I generally give theme type gifts and not money! We can afford more $ but I think the thought is what counts.

One of my favorite gifts at my wedding (24 yrs ago yesterday! ) was a set of hand embroidered pillow cases that I still have today. A distant relative (who is very wealthy) gave us $200 and I was flabbergasted! My Dad insisted on sending them a wedding video!!! LOL! I know times have changed and we live in a small town but I think $100 is still a nice gift!

I would personally would give gift cards to restaurants or the aforementioned theme type present. If you don't know what they would like then you are not close enough to them to give a lot of $$?!

I always give based on my budget and how close we are to the couple, not the venue or the location. We went to a wedding last month for a high school friend (we were close then not as much now). We gave the couple $50. For DH's cousin who got married in 2009, we gave $100 because we are closer with her and her DH. My sister is getting married next year, and I'm anticipating a gift around $250 plus whatever I'll spend on her shower.

Not my fault someone chooses to get married at a country club with crab cakes and filet mignon. I have a fish stick and sirloin budget LOL.

I base my gifts on how close I am to the person. Not where it's held at.

$100 for friends and family (nieces, nephews, cousins, etc) that we are not real close to.

$200 for god children

Now, we are real close to my sisters kids. When they get married they will get closer to $500.

I don't use the method of what did I get. I got married almost 20 years ago. What seemed like a lot then, doesn't get you very far today.

I have the same situation coming up in a few weeks. My cousin's daughter is getting married. Last time I saw my cousin was at my mom's funeral 3 years ago and he did not even stay for the lunch after. Have not heard from him since until his daughter is getting married. We were invited and did respond to go because one day my kids will get married and probably will have to invite family I never or hardly ever see. Was thinking of giving $100 just because I do not want any issues down the road. Others family, aunts say this is not enough. FYI when I got married for my wedding shower his wife gave me a $3.99 cheese board, I know because the price was on there. We got married the same year, many years ago. I have been told by other relatives that they are paying way over $30,000 for this wedding. Thanks for listening. What would you do

DaisyDuckRN, give what you want. Forget what your family members are telling you.

Fifty bucks, I don't care who it is, that is my standard amount. Weddings are about the union of two people in love they are not gift grabs! it is the the thought that counts:)

I give everyone the same amount, regardless of where they're getting married or what they serve for dinner. That just seems fair to me - the same way I don't spend more money on a birthday present for one child over another.

Unfortunately because we are in Fairfield County and most of our friends are in NYC, it's a very high figure. C'est la vie.

I think it depends on a lot of factors - what you can afford, what your heart says, etc.

We are VERY active in our church and when the youth get married we give $100.

My brother (my only sibling) is getting married next month - we are giving him $1000 plus paying for the wedding cake ($150 since it's being made by a lady from church). That's extravagant, but he's my only brother.

My two nephews (toddlers) get about $25-50 worth of toys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter