How much to budget for Shutters?

We ended up upgraded not once, but twice. They did a fantanstic job on nearly all the photo's and I could'nt resist. It was also wonderful having us all together and dressed up all at one time. A very rare occassion in this family between all our schedules. It would be nice to see a photo pass system, although I wonder if they would look like the bad shots you seem to end up with at WDW. Either way I'll still keep buying!! :)

WHy is it that the formal or best backrounds only come in 8x10, is that the case on DCL...WE don't have room for a bunch of 8x10 at home...

We are pleased with the quality, though I hate some of the borders they put on the pictures.

Also note that you can get reprints of pictures to fill up packages if you want.

Jim

Regarding the borders, can you get a reprint without the border? Also, if you find an 8x10 of your family but want it in a 6x8 photo can you buy a reprint without having to buy the 8x10?

I was thrilled with the pictures from Shutters during our previous cruise and will definitely purchase another package.

So nice to hear that most of you are happy with Shutters and the quality of their pictures.

We have been VERY pleased with the quality of the many photos we've purchased at Shutters. I usually end up with AT LEAST the middle package.

I find myself having to 'quick throw them away' (Put into the slot for pics you don't want at Shutters) so I don't buy the pics that aren't great. Unfortunately (or not depending on if you WANT to buy lots) there are very few duds. It does make for a large scrapbook because if I'm paying that much for pictures, they ARE going in the scrapbook! :rotfl:

It is nice that you can get the Shutters release form on line after your vacation to make copies for friends/family when you return too.

TK

Regarding the borders, can you get a reprint without the border? Also, if you find an 8x10 of your family but want it in a 6x8 photo can you buy a reprint without having to buy the 8x10?

I was thrilled with the pictures from Shutters during our previous cruise and will definitely purchase another package.

We tried getting picture sizes changed and they would not do it. Obviously the technology exists so this is just something they choose not to allow.

As for borders, I have never asked them to print without borders but I assume they would say no just like on the resizing.

Jim

But you can also just buy individual pics as well can't you??? Like if you see one or two great ones, you could just buy those right?

Personally, we found pictures expensive as well but have to admit we did purchase a package, on our first cruise. On our second cruise, we said we wouldn't buy any, but low and behold we still purchased some. My biggest advice is to have your camera everywhere you go to capture the pics.
We ended up buying the pictures on our first cruise because we missed alot of photo ops because we didn't have our camera on hand. The second cruise we had our camera but purchase pics for the photos we didn't have.
If you are going with other family members, share the cost and scan the photos afterwards so everyone has different pics.

Just thinking ahead. About how much should I budget for our trip for Shutters. And, what kinds of pictures am I going to be getting from there?

Thanks.

Last cruise I bought like crazy only to come home and find we had gotten quality shots from our digital cameras, that I could have enlarged, of the same pictures. This time we are taking a laptop to download the pics and looking at them closely before I go nuts in Shutters. To keep costs down my friend and I went in on a package and then had prints made when we got back.

Shutters is expensive but unless you are a professional photgrapher, or have the appropriate equipment you can't take equivalent quality pictures yourself.

Like everything else, it is your choice and for us, studio quality family photos on once-in-lifetime vacations (you, your family, and your kids will be that age only once...) it is worth it for us.

Money saving tip: Do purchase the package because there will be a variety of photos you would like, but if you have a quality scanner at home and would like to distribute a single photo to many family members, that will save some bucks. The first thing we do when we get back is to digitize our photos for copies or use as Christmas cards, etc.

I charge $20 for a 5x7, so the cost seems fine to me. :thumbsup2

You aren't just paying for a piece of paper, you're paying for that memory that photographer captured for you. They may be more of a chain or big company, than an individual photographer, but that still doesn't make it ok to scan photos and make your own copies to "save" money.

I also shudder (pun intended) at the prices at Shutters! I think $19.95 for one 8x10 is a lot, but my mom and I split the package of five 8x10's for $84.95 - so it was ONLY (cough) $17/photo instead of $20. :rotfl: My mom wanted one more photo, and there was no price break after the 5th picture but before the 10th - so she paid $19.95 for it. I decided that for $19.95, I'd rather have the nice folio with the 8x10 photo of the ship, rather than one more awfiul picture of me!

We always end up spending a few hundred dollars at Shutters, however the last time, I didn't use my whole package and wanted a refund. The guy was very pushy and insistent that I buy a portfolio that I didn't want, etc. etc. Long story short, I ended up with the silly portfolio and then was charged TWICE for it. That was a pain - I called guest services, who told me to bring my receipts to the guest services desk who then told me I had to take it to Shutters. I did end up getting the extra charge removed, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

We're sailing on the Wonder this time around and I am thinking the pushy guy won't be there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter