How much tip to give for highlighting hair?

i normally tip about 10-15%. i feel they are charging enough for the service and bumping in a haircut on someone else. just me-i guess.
Do you tip 10% at restaurants when the servers have other tables? My colorist doesn’t cut hair, but will have other clients when my timer is on. It takes a solid hour to put in my foils.

Do you tip 10% at restaurants when the servers have other tables? My colorist doesn’t cut hair, but will have other clients when my timer is on. It takes a solid hour to put in my foils.
I'm not the person you quoted, but I think you really can't compare hair stylists to servers - it's apples or oranges. Servers only make $2.13/hr in most states, so their tips are basically their only income. A stylist is making much more than that as their base pay, so the tip is more for a job well done, than an expectation like in a restaurant.

I'm not the person you quoted, but I think you really can't compare hair stylists to servers - it's apples or oranges. Servers only make $2.13/hr in most states, so their tips are basically their only income. A stylist is making much more than that as their base pay, so the tip is more for a job well done, than an expectation like in a restaurant.
16 states do have $2.13 as minimum for servers, but as you can see from this thread, the majority tip at least 15%, if not 20%, so it’s more than just for a job well done, it is an expectation.

16 states do have $2.13 as minimum for servers, but as you can see from this thread, the majority tip at least 15%, if not 20%, so it’s more than just for a job well done, it is an expectation.
I still stand by the statement that you tip a stylist for a job well done. The people in this thread state that they tip 15-20%, but I think it's safe to assume that those people feel that their stylist does a good job and therefore deserve the tip, as no one mentioned tipping for a terrible hair cut. I tip my stylist well, but if I went to someone and they did a terrible job, I would not tip (and I would not go back).

I still stand by the statement that you tip a stylist for a job well done. The people in this thread state that they tip 15-20%, but I think it's safe to assume that those people feel that their stylist does a good job and therefore deserve the tip, as no one mentioned tipping for a terrible hair cut. I tip my stylist well, but if I went to someone and they did a terrible job, I would not tip (and I would not go back).
Ageeed, the same way I wouldn’t tip a server for doing a terrible job.

I tip 20 percent everywhere for everything, stylist, wait staff etc etc. if I feel it was a Better than Good experience, I tip more.

I do not Ever leave tips in jars. I don’t like the practice and I also don’t Ever tip/donate at stores who collect money. Just think that they should Pony Up and not ask their customers to pay for their recognition to a charity. Personally irks me. If I’m so inclined, I drop a check in the mail.. but not often.
I have several charities I annually donate to.

My teenage daughter is getting her hair highlighted for her birthday. We are using our family stylist. The price will be $125. I am very familiar with tipping for hair cuts and styling, but have never had any highlighting done professionally. How much would be an acceptable tip?
I would tip $25

I tip 20 percent everywhere for everything, stylist, wait staff etc etc. if I feel it was a Better than Good experience, I tip more.

I do not Ever leave tips in jars. I don’t like the practice and I also don’t Ever tip/donate at stores who collect money. Just think that they should Pony Up and not ask their customers to pay for their recognition to a charity. Personally irks me. If I’m so inclined, I drop a check in the mail.. but not often.

Yes, I like to choose my own causes as well. One that especially stands out - when I adopt a pet and I spend thousands for vet care, food and shelter, and I'm standing at the checkout paying a $150 for food and supplies - and I get a 'do you want to contribute' - I feel I've already done my job rescuing all kinds of animals.

I also contribute for people.

Now, let me say that I like that people are stepping up, but it's very slightly embarrassing not to give again.

Tip jars don't bother me. If work is done or service warrants I'll use them. I'll also ignore if I feel the need.

I guess I'll be the "jerk" here. If someone is working for themselves (setting their own prices, doing it from their own home), I expect them to charge what they want for the service. They are a business owner. I don't tip the owner.

When I go to a salon (getting hair done by an employee or someone who has to rent their space in the salon), then I tip accordingly. These people tend not to be free to set their own rates, and aren't paid as highly. For highlights, it usually takes a couple hours, and I generally tip about $20-$25 (the service is usually around $100-$125).

I don't think you're a jerk. I don't agree with you, But I understand your thought process and everyone has their own opinion.

I don't like being asked to contribute to charity when I am at a store either. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't I actually giving them a fat tax deduction? I mean, they will give all that money to the charity, and they will get to write it off as a charitable donation on their taxes. But it was the customers money, not theirs! Right?

Re tipping stylist, do you tip the same if the stylist is the owner of the shop?

Yes, I like to choose my own causes as well. One that especially stands out - when I adopt a pet and I spend thousands for vet care, food and shelter, and I'm standing at the checkout paying a $150 for food and supplies - and I get a 'do you want to contribute' - I feel I've already done my job rescuing all kinds of animals.

Now, let me say that I like that people are stepping up, but it's very slightly embarrassing not to give again.

That's when I say, "Not today, thanks". Because maybe tomorrow or next week I will but it's less awkward than a flat NO. Although I feel most cashiers only ask because it's required, not because they truly care or expect it.

There's no wrong answer. You should tip or not tip depending on how you feel. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter