How much sunscreen would you bring in June?

Don't forget to wear hats and get chapstick with sunscreen in it!

This too is a great tip:thumbsup2 a lot of people forget their lips! I usually have lipstick of some kind on, but when I don't it's chapstick w/spf. Can never be too careful. Another place a lot of people forget about is their feet. Speaking from experience if you are wearing sandles make sure you lotion up your feet.......sunburn feet are no fun:eek:
Laurie

I leave in 7 days :cool1: and I almost passed on this link because I assumed I had enough packed. I'm glad I peeked in anyway because I was only bringing 2 bottles for 4 people over 11 days, and both are spray bottles.:scared1:
I have a few more in a closet I will tuck in before I ship my box to the resort tomorrow.:woohoo:

Thanks everyone.:grouphug:

This too is a great tip:thumbsup2 a lot of people forget their lips! ... Another place a lot of people forget about is their feet...sunburn feet are no fun:eek:
Laurie

So true! But I will say that I DO like the spray on sunscreen very much for us, but we no longer have small children who we are trying to take care of. DDs and I use facial moisturizer with an SPF so are covered there. DH seems to be able to take care of his face and head himself too. :)

Every year, I end up bringing home 3/4 of the bottles of sunblock I brought.

Yet, this year, even knowing that I always bring way too much sunblock, I still can't bring myself to pack less. I would rather have more, and have to bring it back home with me. I know you can always buy it there, need be, but I don't want to pay Disney prices for sunblock!

8 days!:yay:

I am right there with the OP. I am bringing 3 bottles of sunscreen for the 2 of us. I will not be using the spray down there. I want something light that doesn't feel like you have sunscreen on! I also am planning on bringing the bug spray. I haven't been there in June for probably 20 years, but I remember those nasty mosquitos.........yikes.

Funny, I learned this the hard way.

I had read that you shouldn't keep sunscreen from season to season (we get BIG winter here, so by that I mean, from YEAR to YEAR:rotfl:)

So, I went out and bought 2 bottles of spray on (which is all I use b/c my husband cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnot and will not tolerate me putting lotion on his hairy legs or his darned near bald head....anyway.......:laughing:

We had three moderately skin-toned adults and one similarly colored child. We ran out half way through our trip. This included one 1/2 day at Typhoon Lagoon and about an hour at the pool one day. We only applied one time per day....and we RAN OUT.

We had to buy a bottle in the park b/c we were all feeling the sun (which meant we were already burning) -- paid 13 or 14 bucks for the 7/8 bottle of sunscreen. And we used that one up completely by the end of our 6/7 days in the parks. (The last half of the trip did not involve any water parks. We got a little lazier about application. Had we been diligent, we'd have gone through 4 bottles w/one good application per day per person.)

I use the spray on on my son's face -- I spray it into my hand and dab it on generously. He has never burned. He does wear a hat part of the time. DH just closes his eyes and has me spray. He has a serious sensory issue and cannot stand the feel or texture of lotion. :scared1:

Anyway, I'd have liked that extra 6 bucks for the bottle we bought in the park. So I say pack more. You'll probably have to share with the sister who is packing one bottle......

Bring it! Me and DD2.5 (at the time) went in June 08, for six days. We both tan easy, but I don't want to be burned. We went thru one spray bottle and half a regular bottle. We did go swimming every day.

We also us the sunblock chapstick, my lips always burn with out it. I just found it at Target with the rest of the sunscreen.

We bring 1 bottle of SPORT BLOCK sunscreen that is sweat proof an water proof apply in the am before dressin an that is it for the day DH an I have never used more than half a bottle at disney if that an we apply as if we are gonna swim because usually we do end up in the pool midafternoon.

OK, so no spray bottles. :)

An aside, don't forget to put sunscreen on your ears and the tops of your feet. I just about always forget those areas.

So true! But I will say that I DO like the spray on sunscreen very much for us, but we no longer have small children who we are trying to take care of. DDs and I use facial moisturizer with an SPF so are covered there. DH seems to be able to take care of his face and head himself too. :)[/QUOTE

So do I but down here the first thing I do before putting on my make up which is also SPF 15 is put sweatproof/waterproof sunscreen on my face. Nothing worse than a racoon face from being out in the sun with sunglasses on, except for a face that is peeling maybe.

Almost forgot....as for how many bottles to bring? Depends on what type and the number of ounces in your bottles. We use the big 10 oz lotion kind and usually get by with 2 bottles a year-maybe 3 if the son surfs a lot. He uses the spray for his back but spending 6 or more hours on the water he still gets red on his back with the spray-but guys don't put lotion on other guys backs .......

As someone said. Don't save from year to year. It loses its strength. Each spring buy new. Make sure the store refreshes sunscreens, too. Some stores keep sunscreen on shelf till it sells so check dates. I tend to buy mine from new displays, just to make it easier to tell.

I usually bring one spray bottle for both me and my mom and spray once in the morning unless we head to the pool then we spray more. My cousin and his family (him, wife, 2 kids) bring more because except for him, the rest of his family are a nice shade of powder ;).

If you are willing to carry it I would bring it along. I would always rather have too much than have to buy more while you are down there.

Leaving on Wed for 9 days, 4 of us. I'm taking 3 bottles.

OP here. Thanks for all the responses! I'm sure I will probably be bringing at least one of the bottles home unopened but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Walgreens had some buy one/get one free this week. I'd much rather pay that price versus the $14 a bottle. I agree with the other posters.....the spray bottles don't last very long....it seems I'm buying them frequently....but they are SO convenient. The one for my face I like is Coppertone Sport in the non-aerosol spray bottle....it doesn't burn my eyes when swimming.

I am a shade up from death so I really bring a lot, my DD and my DH are not as pale but I am a fanatic about the sunscreen so they get doused regularly.

We use the aerosol bottles for our bodies and I use a small bottle of lotion for their faces. I bring an aerosol bottle for everyday so for a seven day trip I bring 7 bottles; we use just about all of it (we do swim almost everyday).

When I was a kid, my mom bought about eleven million bottles of sunscreen for me during the summer horse show/riding season, since I spent ALL day EVERY day at the barn. I never really used it, unfortunately, so now I have some sun damage. Luckily I have Native American on both sides of my family so skin cancer is less likely than others, but if I could go back and change it I would. I think you should be fine with 5 bottles, worst case scenario you have too much and use it during the rest of the summer!

ok, please forgive me for sounding really dumb....

I understand taking 5 bottles of you are driving .... or if you are using spray.

But how are you flying with all these liquids?

DP and I leave on Wednesday for the first time in June in ages, we are taking two small squeeze bottles (8spf, 15spf) that we filled in to the appropriate size for air travel.

Thanks for the tips on mosqiutos in June.... adding bug spray to the bags right not...

We are driving. If we were flying, I would put them in a gallon size bag in my suitcase, which would then be checked.

I like the spray sun screen. It's easy to apply, but you do have to spray it on thick. I've found that some brands are better than others. We always get Coppertone.

That said, as others have mentioned, it doesn't last very long. We went on a week long trip a few years ago, and between the three of us, we used 4 cans.

As for faces, I have a sun screen solid stick.

I don't think 5 bottles of sun screen is too much. Better to bring too much than not enough!

We use the spray on and I spray it into my hands and then rub it on their faces. Remember though that there are 2 different kinds of spray on - there is 1 that you have to rub in and 1 that you aren't supposed to rub in LOL. And the bottles look a lot alike.

ok, please forgive me for sounding really dumb....

I understand taking 5 bottles of you are driving .... or if you are using spray.

But how are you flying with all these liquids?

DP and I leave on Wednesday for the first time in June in ages, we are taking two small squeeze bottles (8spf, 15spf) that we filled in to the appropriate size for air travel.

Thanks for the tips on mosqiutos in June.... adding bug spray to the bags right not...

If you are checking luggage you simply put it in your checked bags. If you only fly with carry-on to avoid luggage fees, then you have an issue because you can only bring liquids that fit into TSA guidlelines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter