How much should we tip housekeeping?

You do know you have the option of saying, "I'm sorry, we prefer to handle our own baggage. Thank you anyway." That way nobody is performing a service for you, and there's no tip expected. I've done this when I know I don't have any small bills on me to give a tip. However, when I DO accept the assistance, I always tip.
Yep, I do know that. But when you're unaware of the CM charging up to take the bags, it's a bit uncomfortable to say anything. We 'thought' that this would be the CM that would take our bags into the resort for us. If we had thought, for one minute, that 2 addtl CMs would join in, yeah, no....we would have refused the help.
Now??? I jump out of the car, and immediately refuse any help.

Wow, the whole tipping housekeeping thing has been pretty enlightening to me. I've been on cruises before where you're expected to tip your cabin attendant, and while I'm definitely no stranger to land travel and hotel stays, it never dawned on me that people actually leave tips for housekeeping at hotels.

I have worked at hotels and tipping all over the usa is commonplace. When the economy tanked the housekeepers tips dropped substantially, but many, many people still leave a couple of dollars each day.

I've always tipped at hotels, both housekeeping and the breakfast attendant, if a free breakfast is provided with my stay. Both of those jobs are very physically demanding.

It's customary to tip the driver if they handle luggage for you. If you wish, you may also tip drivers you feel are doing an outstanding job.

I once tipped a Mears driver a good amount coming back from Universal because he dropped off the obnoxious drunk guy first.

Now I feel bad that we didn't tip housekeeping before. :/

It's difficult for us to tip on those type of services since when we travel, it's primarily by plastic [in general, I don't like carrying cash, and just use the cards to handle stuff]. Which is also why we tend to decline bell service.

But I really hate the idea of not tipping folks who supposed to be tipped [especially at disney resorts where they tend to do such a great job], so I may have to get over my problem with carrying cash.

I put the tips for each day in envelopes ahead of time and store them in the safe. It is part of my planning and getting ready for the trip and this way I know I have the amount I like to give. Typically I give $5 a day. When I recently traveled with my parents they were thinking of tipping at the end and I recommended to them that they tip each day since we do not always know if it will be the same person cleaning the room. When I am at Disney, I am happy to be there and I like to spread that happiness by leaving a tip.

I hesitate to over tip for anyone already making around 15 an hour for a job they are being paid to do. Call me ungrateful, whatever. Especially if
The only thing being done is wiping a sink diwn , making a bed, replace towels/ soap and MAYBE vaccumm. That is their job.
On the other hand i will tip if our room is left in a condition beyond normal. There are a few days where we eat in room and there is extra mess and garbage. Here i will toss a few bucks down. I always leave anlarger tip on check out day. Mainly as the garbage sitiation is insane. I leave every toy and gift box, packaging behind.

can I ask a question? does housekeeping get paid at least minimum wage? I truly don't know, but if they are paid a normal wage (at least) then it doesn't matter if it's a difficult or not job,it's simply a job they've contracted to do at a given wage,kind of like all the rest of us.....isn't it?
why all the tipping? I get the whole bag handling deal, those people will try to grab your bags from your hands and then want a tip....we've had to let them know firmly but not unkindly 'NO thank you'..... b/c I don't need to pay someone $5 to take a bag from my trunk to the curb......
I know on these boards people debate it,I think I'm going to do some research now.....

From the Walt Disney Parks and resorts career page-

Housekeeping Hosts and Hostesses receive a starting rate of $8.50/hour.

Responsibilities
As a member of the Housekeeping team, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, overall cleaning of guest rooms, including stripping and making beds, vacuuming, dusting, and replenishing items such as linens, amenities and various supplies. Housekeeping cast members also interact with guests daily, responding in a timely manner to their requests, assisting with directions and sharing information.

Basic Qualifications
You must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for this role.
Heavy lifting and working with chemicals are required.
This role is Full-Time and requires full availability for any shift, any day, including nights, weekends, and holidays.

so...it appears that it's like any other type of job at that level, start at minimum,get paid for doing your job, etc etc.
If my ds1 isn't getting tips for stacking boxes in a local warehouse (same level type of job) then why is a housekeeper.or the guy at the local ice cream scoop shop?
I don't think it's the norm,I think it's something we're all being TOLD is the norm.:thumbsup2

I have tipped a couple of times in the past, but really no longer do it. Reason being, our room is just never fully cleaned. Under the beds usually have crumbs, dust on the furniture, etc. Maybe if they go above and beyond, but I have never really seen that. I don't think of a hotel housekeeper as a tipped position anyway since they make above minimum wage, unlike a waiter/waitress for instance.

I also tip $5.00 a day. I make up my envelopes at home fill and date them. I store them in the safe and remove one daily. That way there's no digging for a five at the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter