• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much should we tip housekeeping?

We also tip at every hotel we stay. I generally tip $5 per night and I would also leave the tip daily.

The first time we ever went to Disney, we actually called mousekeeping to come to our room because we found yogurt splattered in two drawers and cheese doodles on the floor in our bathroom. I was kind of surprised by that, first impression and all. But, they came quickly and took care of it for us.

I always tip housekeeping, not just at Disney -- this is customary throughout the United States. It may be different in other parts of the world.

I don't know where you get this but not everyone tips in the US for maid service. In fact a CNN survey shows that only 30% of US Hotel guest actually leave a tip. (I never have though we don't stay in a hotel all that often.)

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-24/...otel-guests-emily-post-institute?_s=PM:TRAVEL

If you are going to tip, I would say $1 to $2 a day per person and to tip each day.

This is all great advice. My husband is just questioning why people on Disney properties have started tipping housekeeping when typically on Off Disney sites people tend not to tip. He is still going to go along with it but said that unless people go these boards they would never know that things are done differently at Disney.

I guess I don't buy the premise that people don't tip at non-Disney hotels. Maybe it has something to do with how often someone travels. If you are accustomed to traveling often, you are aware that it is proper to tip housekeeping. If you seldom stay in hotels, maybe you don't realize that housekeeping often gets tipped. Being that the Disboards are a skewed audience where many, if not most, posters have taken multiple trips to WDW, you have a larger population of people here that recognize housekeeping as a tipped position.

Tipping is a matter of personal beliefs so it's up to you to decide if you want to and how much. There isn't a standard or customary amount, any amount or percentage is simply an arbitrary number that someone made up.

Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but I usually keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door. We only go for 3 nights so we find we don't need anybody entering our room and messing with our stuff. Plus, it saves us from needing to tip.

Honestly this is the very first time I've ever heard that people tip housekeeping. I travel fairly often and never tipped. I had no idea some people do.

last year i was at sports a i had a new employee doing my room for the 8 days.
she did such a wonderful job!
it was her second week in housekeeping.

i made sure she got the tips as i handed it to her each morning before i would leave my room.
i had asked her to come and do my room early as i didn't want to leave the tip in the room.
i had a code for 40% off the room rate ($55 a day), so i would give this gal $20 a day.

some people tip a lot and some don't.
doesn't matter to me but i tend to go overboard on tipping.

Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but I usually keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door. We only go for 3 nights so we find we don't need anybody entering our room and messing with our stuff. Plus, it saves us from needing to tip.

You're not the only one. I had to put the "Do Not Disturb" a few times when the children's toys and shoes, and sometimes clothes just laying around the room, like on the floor or on the bed and on the table. And when I didn't have time to put them away because we were in a hurry to get to the park for Early Entry, then I just put that sign up. I didn't want the housekeeper to step on the toys or lose the toys and accidentally get tossed when the mousekeeper fix the bed sheets or wipe the tables down.

When my children were little, they use to make the envelope by decorating it with stickers and drawing something on it and coloring it. But now that the kids are older, I guess I'll just have to do it myself. :)

We always tip housekeeping, regardless of whether we are at Disney or not. It's the way I was raised I guess. My parents always tipped, so I always tip.

I guess I don't buy the premise that people don't tip at non-Disney hotels. Maybe it has something to do with how often someone travels. If you are accustomed to traveling often, you are aware that it is proper to tip housekeeping. If you seldom stay in hotels, maybe you don't realize that housekeeping often gets tipped. Being that the Disboards are a skewed audience where many, if not most, posters have taken multiple trips to WDW, you have a larger population of people here that recognize housekeeping as a tipped position.
Sorry but I have bee traveling all around the world all of my life from the time I was a baby literally. I'm an American from northern California but have lived in many countries and speak multiple languages with a degree in International Relations specializing in cultures and languages and I'm here to tell you that I have never tipped Housekeeping nor have I seen others tip housekeeping in hotels other than Disney. It is not the norm nor is it part of the American culture. It just seems more part of the Disney culture.

I have worked in the hotel/restaurant industry for many years. In the past it was not very common to tip housekeeping, and in lower scale motel/hotels it still is not as common. But in upper scale/ resort hotels it is has become the norm to tip.

Sorry but I have bee traveling all around the world all of my life from the time I was a baby literally. I'm an American from northern California but have lived in many countries and speak multiple languages with a degree in International Relations specializing in cultures and languages and I'm here to tell you that I have never tipped Housekeeping nor have I seen others tip housekeeping in hotels other than Disney. It is not the norm nor is it part of the American culture. It just seems more part of the Disney culture.

I think there is a lot of truth to this statement.

Op, it's really up to you whether you tip or not. And if you do tip, you can tip whatever amount you think appropriate.

Sorry, I'm also from northern California, have traveled all over the world, don't have a degree, speak a couple of different languages and have ALWAYS tipped at hotels, Disney or not. It is something that is done, the fact that you don't do it doesn't mean that no one does. It's not required, no one is going to point and stare at you if you don't, but denying that it is the norm doesn't change it.

I do not have a degree in international customs either.

Tipping is not common in other parts of the world.That is why many resturants that cater to European guests include a tip.

When we stay in Nice hotels in the United States we tip.

Tipping House keeping is not something Disney made up.It is common in most American Hotels that provide high service standards.

Frankly I do not care what the custom is in other countries .

I also do not have any idea what the number of languages you speak is revelant to wheather you should tip or not.:confused3

I definitely don't agree with this. I too have traveled all over the country. My father was a businessman and he always tipped the housekeeping staff.

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean that other's don't. I know plenty of my friends that tip the housekeeping staff and most of them don't ever go to Disney.....

I do not have a degree in international customs either.

Tipping is not common in other parts of the world.That is why many resturants that cater to European guests include a tip.

When we stay in Nice hotels in the United States we tip.

Tipping House keeping is not something Disney made up.It is common in most American Hotels that provide high service standards.

Frankly I do not care what the custom is in other countries .

I totally agree with this!! When we traveled to Europe in my senior year of high school I was surprised that my friends didn't leave a tip. It's so common for me here that I was expecting to leave a tip there.

I was told that most restaurants wages in Europe are well above the norm. Unlike here where it's only $2.25 and hour.

Whenever my husband and I travel we always leave a tip. Of course my room usually isn't very dirty, but there have been times when we were in a hurry and left a bit of a mess. So, I always made sure to tip a bit extra that day. LOL!!

I also don't care what the customs are in other countries. We live in America and it's always been my families custom to tip. So, I tip other's because I know that it can be a thankless and backbreaking job.....

Which hotel chains do you stay in? And I'm interested in how you know others don't tip. Do you go in other guests rooms to inspect?

It is customary to tip housekeeping in America.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter