How much of the DVC legal documents have you actually read?

• I haven't read any of the documents. I trust what my guide/Disney told me.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I skimmed the documents I had to sign

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I read all the documents I had to sign

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • I skimmed through the Public Offering Statement documents

• I read the POS documents

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • What documents? There are documents?

• Total voters

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Buying into DVC involves committing a substantial amount of your money - in terms of the initial cost and the annual dues.

You are also purchasing a real estate investment in a timeshare, and any real estate transaction usually involves a bunch of paperwork and signatures. However, the Disney Vacation Club is a bit more complex than just buying a house, as there are significant restrictions and rules regarding your ability to use that real estate investment.

Given that, when you made that big decision to buy, before you signed, how much of the legal paperwork did you actually read?

Even after you purchased DVC, how much of the legal documents have you actually read?

Many people don't read more than the two-page Product Understanding Checklist, and perhaps the Purchase Agreement and the Deed.

Have you read the Multi-Site Public Offering Statement containing such documents as the Home Resort Rules and Regulations?

What about the Component Site POS containing such documents as the Declaration of Condominium and the DVC Membership Agreement?

Purchasing DVC
DVC Resorts
Renting Points
Using Your DVC Membership
Just for Fun

I tried to get through a lot of it, although admittedly I ended up kind of skimming through a lot, just too many pages of legalese. I did learn some things though reading through all that.

I'm a bit surprised that (so far) 40.9% of you said yuo have read the POS. That's higher than I expected, but then, folks on the DISboards aren't always representative of the DVC membership.

http://i235.*************************************POS/ReadThePos_1.png​

Being a glutton for punishment, I actually read through all the documents provided when purchasing at BWV in 1997 and have also read through like documents for other resorts. Moreover, I have even read through other documents and amendments filed with public agencies, and several years before purchasing BWV, I read through OKW POS's that I was provided upon request when considering a possible purchase. Blame it on being a suspicious lawyer. What actually compelled me to read through all the documents before my initial purchase is that my suspicious side said you cannot trust any huge legal document that has no index. When purchasing AKV in 2007, it was easier than BWV in 1997 because I was going through mainly to find any differences from the BWV documents and modern science allowed computerized word searches of those documents that I could get in Adobe format. My conclusions reached are that the documents and Florida law protected fundamental rights while giving DVD the ability to screw us over in some areas, although not anywhere near as bad as many assume Disney has the power to do.

Last edited:
Reading legal documents? I don't think so.

When my wife asked if I'd be reading them, I told her not a chance. There are thousands of DVC owners out there, if there was something overly nefarious in there, they'd have fleshed it out by now.

I'm an attorney. I read them all. It actually amazes me how little people read before signing off.

I'm an attorney. I read them all. It actually amazes me how little people read before signing off.
Agreed. IMO it removes any valid reasons for complaining based on the information provided but we know that doesn't stop anyone from doing so. But even if they read it or know the information they often proceed with invalid assumptions. When discussing the reallocations a few years ago I remember a post by someone essentially saying they knew it could happen but assumed it never would so they were still upset with DVC.

When discussing the reallocations a few years ago I remember a post by someone essentially saying they knew it could happen but assumed it never would so they were still upset with DVC.

I don't see anything wrong with being upset about changes even though you knew it could theoretically happen. That happens all the time in all of our lives. And when discussing these topics on forums, people are often voicing just their frustration over the situation and what should be "ideal" vs what is real. As long as they acknowledge the fact that, yes indeeed, the reality is ....

DH and I both read all the documents that were provided to us prior to signing. I typically read through any addendum and the yearly bulletins that get mailed. But I can tell you that while I knew and understood what I was signing back in 2008, I couldn't tell you much in the way of details now. My brain just does not retain that sort of info and I don't make it a priority to read through it yearly. I have consulted the paperwork on occasion when I have had a question but that's about all. And s a result, I have gotten caught off guard by things discussed on the forums that I did not remember in the contract. I am sure I am not the only one it happens to.

I don't see anything wrong with being upset about changes even though you knew it could theoretically happen. That happens all the time in all of our lives. And when discussing these topics on forums, people are often voicing just their frustration over the situation and what should be "ideal" vs what is real. As long as they acknowledge the fact that, yes indeeed, the reality is ....

DH and I both read all the documents that were provided to us prior to signing. I typically read through any addendum and the yearly bulletins that get mailed. But I can tell you that while I knew and understood what I was signing back in 2008, I couldn't tell you much in the way of details now. My brain just does not retain that sort of info and I don't make it a priority to read through it yearly. I have consulted the paperwork on occasion when I have had a question but that's about all. And s a result, I have gotten caught off guard by things discussed on the forums that I did not remember in the contract. I am sure I am not the only one it happens to.
I can see being disappointed at one's bad luck but not with DVC. They actually have a responsibility to even out usage if it gets too off

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter