How much is too much?

mrzrich

DIS Veteran
DH is ready to say goodbye to FW.:sad2:

We just got back from a weekend stay on a premium site (which was all that was available.) We paid $106/night. DH popped a vein when I told him how much I'd paid.:scared1:

We've been going to the fort for years, and watched prices creep up. He says this is where the buck stops.

So tell me, how high would the rates have to be for you to seriously say "No more FW?"

Each to hos own,,how much is too much ? Depends on your perspective of things and your $$$ income . If we made plenty of $$ then to me it wouldnt be a question.
However, things being the way they are (economy wise) for us, we wont be at the Fort anytime soon at those prices.:sad1:

For me it comes down to "what I can budget?" If I can set aside $40-50 per week all year then I will have a little over $2000 for vacation. If I spend half of that on a campsite, and another quarter on gas, that leaves little for park tickets and dining. It's still doable, but that's starting to cut it close. So, I make sure to travel at the most economical times (I find the pre-holiday rates work for me) and cutting down the length of stay. Now, at some point it the shrinking number of days at Disney are no longer worth the gas to get there, and for me that number is probably around 7... I just can't justify a $2000+ vacation that is only a week long, it's too much work and cash for such a short reward.

Edited: I should add that it is not the Fort is not worth any more than $X, it is that a Disney trip period is only worth $X. Frankly, if I could do AKL for the same price I'd still do FW.

For us, length of stay is important, as we squirrel away pretty much all our vaca time all year for our stay at WDW. Budget is a concern as well. We go during the slower season (Nov/early Dec, where sites run around $65/nt) which helps, as does using APs for 2 consecutive vacations. We've managed to eek out 3 weeks with a lot of scrimping and saving (incl. dumping the dining plan in favor of more meals in the camper to help with the budget). We travel down from NH, so frequent, shorter trips aren't an option.

All that said, if site prices got to the point that we had to start shaving significant time off our stay to keep within our budget, that would probably be the breaking point for us. Really, really hoping it never comes to that... or that I hit the lottery! ;)

Well, my family is probably the exception to the rule, but since there are 8 people in our family, the Fort is ALWAYS more affordable for us than booking 2 hotel rooms. Plus, its the best place to stay at WDW! Nothing like having your own little yard for the kids to run around in. :thumbsup2

Pass the salt please.

We paid around $120/night with taxes a few weeks back, and decided on the way home that it is going to be a while since we are fortunate enough to see the Mouse again. Looking back I was a little disappointed, not sure if my expectations were set a little higher based on the cost or what, but I feel the FW is losing a little of its MOJO. It is too bad, but just think how those folks that are willing to pay it are going to benefit, I can see the posts now.

"I was able to call up the week before Christmas and get a site." :banana:

For the money there are so many other options......

It's really getting expensive and we are seriously thinking of cancelling our May trip. We were going to try to get another vacation out of our Annual Passes and May is normally a slow time of the year. I usually try to go during value season and since May is regular season, the rates are a little higher than I like to pay. I was only able to get a Premium site but did get AAA discount however, I'm still paying $80 a night:sad2::sad2:. According to the crowd calendar, they are anticipating the May crowds to be 8s and 9s which is also making me rethink our trip. That's way to crowded for my taste.

I just wanted to make a statement riding the coattails of FamilyofSix: even with our family of two plus two (DW & I and two pups) the Fort is really the only good option for us as well. I know there are much cheaper CGs off property, but to avail ourselves of them we would need to rent a car and pay Disney parking... that's at least $45 a day. If our site is $80 a night at the Fort, I'd have to find one off-site for $35. Sure, I could stay at Turkey Lake for $20... but I think the Fort is worth the extra $15! So, the decision for me is whether or not we do Disney at all, or how often we can, not whether to do the Fort or not.

I just wanted to make a statement riding the coattails of FamilyofSix: even with our family of two plus two (DW & I and two pups) the Fort is really the only good option for us as well. I know there are much cheaper CGs off property, but to avail ourselves of them we would need to rent a car and pay Disney parking... that's at least $45 a day. If our site is $80 a night at the Fort, I'd have to find one off-site for $35. Sure, I could stay at Turkey Lake for $20... but I think the Fort is worth the extra $15! So, the decision for me is whether or not we do Disney at all, or how often we can, not whether to do the Fort or not.

Totally agree - we would not like to stay at another campground. To us, Disney and FW go together. We use to stay at off-site campgrounds before we tried FW but once we camped at FW, there was no other. Sure it's nice to think of staying at the cheaper places but we like the convenience of hopping on the boat to MK anytime we feel the urge. However, for us, the difference between FW and Turkey Lake (for $20) is more than $15. We have a tow vehicle and annual passes (free parking) so we would not have to incur the additional $45 you speak of to stay off-site. So the difference for us would be $80 vs $20 and when you stay for a long period of time, it makes you think twice. Even with a 2 week trip we could save over $800 by staying at Turkey Lake.:eek::eek: BUT it's not FW.

Our vacation at the Fort in June:

2 adults/2 kids
12 nights at the Fort in a full/hookup but not premium site
10 day park hopper
$2205

I didn't know I needed to book a premium site to get the AAA discount. Stupid me.

still have to add in the price of the golf cart - around $550 - not a necessity but a perk DH likes.

We'll be paying for one CS meal per day and I'll cook the rest. We usually do the meal plan but just couldn't afford that this year.

At this price we will only plan to go every other year. Not complaining because alot of people can't even do that.

I didn't know I needed to book a premium site to get the AAA discount.

Just an FYI, you don't need to book a premium site to get AAA. At the time I made my reservation, only premium sites were available with AAA. The cost of premium with discount was the same as full hookup without discount so we decided to go premium this time. There are limited quantities of sites available with AAA. I was able to get AAA for a full-hookup in September/October. It's a toss of the coin, what you are able to get and when.

We have not stayed at the Fort as a family (I stayed there with my family as a child) but we HOPE to in 2010.

For us, while the price of the site is important, the MEALS are the difference for us. Dh and I made several trips pre-children and stayed just about at every resort. The Fort will be more about saving on meals, etc. than the price of the site.

That said, if the price keeps going up, it will be hard for us to rationalize a trip at all:guilty:

I agree, $106/nt is very hard to swallow. I'm at the Fort right now, and that is the rate we are paying. However, I am working in Orlando this week, so my employer is paying the bill. Makes it very nice...but I wouldn't be here during "peak" times otherwise. We usually come early December for almost half that price.

To me if you like Disney and you like camping(RV-ing) there is no other option. No other resort offers a golf cart ride at the end of the day. Or being able to park 20' from your bed. As long as I know the price long enough in advance we will budget for it. That being said as long as I can afford it. I do think $106 is to high they should give the net free at that price and give you a pass to drive you cart to WL. But we booked a prem. site with AAA for about $60 a night for our next trip.

I think its a bargain for a big family, there is no way the 5 of us could stay at a disney resort for 10 days. When you figure in the meals, snacks, beverages you can store in the camper vs buying at the resort?? It's 2400 miles for us, so we save up and do it every two years. I guess if we could go every weekend it would be out of range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter