How much is too much to charge for admission.......

Is $20 too much to charge for admission to a Community College Choir performance

• Yes, $20 is too much.

• No, $20 is about right.

• No, $20 is too low

• Yes, it should have been free.

Results are only viewable after voting.

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
.......for a (public) community college choir performance.
DD's best friend was performing tonight, and we planned on going, but we felt $20 admission per person was too much.
What do you think?

Considering I pay $5-10 more than that to see a Broadway show, I would say yes that is too much.

I agree it is too much money. I did theater at community college and dance shows. The theater was getting greedy charging over $20 a ticket. I thought that was over priced.

.......for a (public) community college choir performance.
DD's best friend was performing tonight, and we planned on going, but we felt $20 admission per person was too much.
What do you think?

I would think OMG What has happened? I can see them charging $5 a person to raise some money for the choir themselves for a concert trip but $20 in this town? NO

Last year we went to a college choir performance down at Albion, as our granddaughter was in the choir. It was free. At the college here the choir and symphony concerts are free as well. You can reserve seats, but the tickets are still free. Now if they have an out-of-town group, be it a choir, solo performer, or symphony then they do charge for tickets but even then only around $10 or $12 I think.

That's ridiculous. I think $10 is the most they should charge for that type of event, and even that's pushing it. $5-8 is much more reasonable and will bring in more people. Are people really going to pay that, or are they singing to an empty house? I would hesitate to invite friends to come see if it was $20/person.

Did they perform music that required them to pay royalties? Were they renting a venue? Was the concert for a fundraiser of some sort? Is the choir self-supporting?

On the surface, I agree that the ticket price was high, but there could have been factors that made the price necessary.

I would pay $5 for something like that. Maybe a little more if it were raising funds for a purpose I cared about and I knew someone in the choir. Certainly not $20 though.

I don't like it, but I would play it. The middle school play tickets here are $12 and I think the choir is more talented (sorry kids!) so, to me, "worth" more. But I still don't like it.

My son goes to college fairly close, 1 1/2 hours away, so we try to go to at least one of his concerts each year. His school is not known for music. We have to pay $15 each to get in for a (IMO) very bad concert.

I was pretty shocked the first time I went since I went to a school that was known for it's music program. While they do wear tuxes etc., I feel like I'm at a rehearsal because it's very informal. They start with the best group and the evening goes downhill from there so those students can leave when they're done. After the first year, we wised up and we leave after his group, so now we pay $15 a piece (plus parking!) to attend a concert for about 20 minutes and then meet him for coffee.

At my old school, the only concert that they charge for is the Christmas program and it is a production that is choreographed to a t and very well rehearsed. For that concert they charge almost that much and it's well worth it. On other performances, they generally make their money on the CD's people buy of the performances.

I agree, sounds a little pricey. Having had 4 kids graduate from college back in the day, luckily we never had to pay for any of their evening performances be it the arts or sports. Times have changed though, colleges are trying to make up budget cuts ~ for years even our grandkids HS's have been charging $5. pp for their after school events: concerts, plays, ft ball, soccer, lax, cross country, etc. Luckily it's reasonable, our schools need they money, and must admit we enjoy going and seeing our grands activities, hard work, and effort! :goodvibes

Considering I pay $5-10 more than that to see a Broadway show, I would say yes that is too much.

How do you pay $30 for a Broadway show? Is it from TKTS on the day of the show? I wouldn't think you could find an advance seat reservation for a popular show for that price, but I haven't been to NY in a couple of years so I'd love your tips!

Way too much. Most people probably go to this sort of thing not for the entertainment value, but as a show of support for a performer, an instructor, or the school. Fill the auditorium with people and it's a feel-good experience for the students. If the performances are good, you get a little buzz around the community about a successful program at the school. The payback for that is attacting more talent to enroll at the school.

If we're talking a public school that needs to raise funds for choir robes or a bus ride to a state competition that's fine. For a college where people are already paying for classes, I don't think so. The exception would be if you have a celebrity guest appearing with the school group. :)

I agree, way too high.
My son is in concert band at a University and they had a performance in a concert hall near campus this past thursday and the ticket price ws $18. And on top of that,about 2 weeks before, we had to buy him a tux for the performance. Way too much considering the night was sponsored by Exxon Mobile.

How do you pay $30 for a Broadway show? Is it from TKTS on the day of the show? I wouldn't think you could find an advance seat reservation for a popular show for that price, but I haven't been to NY in a couple of years so I'd love your tips!

I wasn't the one who posted it, but when I would go to shows we always did the lotto or rush tickets and those were $20-$25.

Usually 2 hours before the show they draw names and if your name is pulled then you can buy up to 2 tickets for $20/each. Some shows you have to be a student and show ID, other shows you just had to show up and put your name in.

I haven't lived there in a few years so I'm not sure which shows still do it and which don't.. but that was how I saw a majority of the shows that I did.

I think that is too much. We just came back from a gymnastics competition that cost $16 per session

Anything over $10 is too much unless for a specific fundraiser.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter