How much has the Cost of your Trip increased ? Have you adjusted ?

Disney is a priority for us, so any cutbacks would be more along the lines of saving money on daily living expenses. The only Disney related thing would be eating/drinking more in the villa rather than spend money for resort eateries. This is more based on convenience and quality, but it does result in spending less money on food :earsboy:

Same here! Disney is a priority. We're DVC so we may eat a few more meals in the the room to compensate. We expect ticket price increases every year. Actually flight costs are what has risen the most for me.

Go Blackhawks!

Last edited:
The math doesn't work if you weren't going to stay deluxe to begin with. For the cost of maintenance fees on a 75 point contract, I could stay 5-6 nights at Pop (rate we usually get is around $110/nt) or more offsite. That cost only goes up every year, and has nothing to do with the buy in.

Add in having to book no less than 7 months out, zero shot at any of the good times of year like Christmas or F&W, and the diminished benefits of resale contracts and its not a good deal for the average Disney visitor. Even a frequent one.

Not to continue to go off topic but what if you DID want to stay in a deluxe level resort and did not want to stay in a value resort? What if you wanted to go several times a year? What if you CAN book what you want during the holidays (Christmas or Easter) and during F&W? We've done all of the above and for what we pay in maintenance fees on our points it's been a steal over the years. What do you think your cash rate would be say if you wanted to visit Aulani or the Grand Californian? I think your look at the math is off too. No, of course DVC is not a good fit for everyone. But it CAN BE if you're repeat visitors and know that you still want to return again (and again). Just because you're happy in a value resort to say that it's not worth looking into to someone else is a little misleading.

I think your point hits to the heart of the matter. 18% in 2 year is like 9% a year average then. Some have said 10% and I think those and your estimates are very accurate.
I go to some places for business every year and some every year a few times and some every few years. No doubt the costs go up all the time but over the course of many years, no one goes up FASTER than Disney. Most places might average 3 or 4% a year jumps for hotel rooms and meals and incidentals.
So that is where a lot of people get really annoyed. When the price hikes at one place are double and triple what the price hikes are everywhere else, it stands out like a sore thumb.
Last night, I go out to dinner at a place we go every so often and I noticed one of the things I get a lot went up from $9.50 to 10 bucks. When this place opened up 3 or 4 years ago, it was $9.00. So in 3 or 4 years, there has been an 11% increase of the price of my most regularly ordered entree- maybe 3% a year or so. That's common and it's typical. So why does Disney need to charge 30% and 40% more over the same time span then? It is when we take the time to compare that their price hikes come out as excessive.

I strongly agree. But rapid price increases were inevitable, given the current popularity of the parks. I wouldn't mind escalating prices too much, even ones this fast, if the quality was at least keeping up with what we got in the past. But no, big crowds and rapidly rising prices are not enough for them. They also want to cut costs, which means cutting into the quality of the guest experience. That experience has already been battered by having to share the parks with thousands and thousands of your closest friends.

They've really gone too far this time. That's why I and others are now talking about "maybe in 2018" or "maybe after Star Wars Land opens." That once automatic yearly Disney trip is now being rethought. It's sad that their greed and lack of pride has given many of us an unpalatable choice: either give up on that dream, or keep putting up with their insulting behavior, as well as the escalating hits to our wallets.

If the plan was to hammer away at customer loyalty, then mission accomplished.

Last edited:
We have never been yearly trip people- too many other places to visit. Our first trip in 2011 was about $3400 (with airfare), Mid-May, 2013 was $4600 (no airfare), first week of June, and the trip we have a few weeks, mid-May, will be $5400 (no airfare).
With no context, that looks awful, but I can't blame all of the costs on Disney. We have done moderates all three times and dining plan all three times- but this trip the kids are 10 and 12- adult prices for tickets and food (they're both competitive swimmers, so my skinny kids can pack away the food. I can't even get mad about charging adult prices when DS especially will eat way more than I will). The first trip they were 5 and 7 (kid prices for tickets and food). We also did 5 nights/6 days first trip, no hopper, 6 nights/7 days second trip with hopper, and this time 7 nights/8 days hopper and water park. For us, those upgrades are worth it. I'm much more relaxed about schedules, taking mid-day breaks and rolling with surprises. For example, last trip DS became obsessed with Sorcerers of MK, and DD and DS HAD to get every sticker for their Wilderness Explorer handbooks (both were new to us that trip). Animal Kingdom became a 2 (part of a) day park, which I would not have guessed and Magic Kingdom had to get an hour or two of time every day so we could collect "free" cards. On the upcoming trip, with closures at HS and Epcot, water parks give us some more options to find new favorites. So, 1/3 more nights between first trip and last, tweens not littles, upgrades to park tickets, also a room upgrade this time... $2000 difference between first trip and this one doesn't seem so unreasonable... Except that the first trip also had airfare.

I have had to make some adjustments, but not all because of Disney increases. I used to do four 10 day trips and stay deluxe/DVC pretty much all the time. But between a complete removal of overtime hours at work, and the Disney price increases, I now do the same trips, but one deluxe, two mod trips, and one value. So my trip costs overall are actually down, but since my budget is tighter, it feels more expensive - if that makes sense. It doesn't help that my favorite non-Disney vacation spots (where I spend my other two weeks of vacation) have actually increased more than Disney has, if all you are comparing are a percentage of room rates . . .

We're two adults with no kids, and have always been to WDW for 7 days, 7 day park hoppers, always staying value ASMu 3 times, Pop twice), and always eating mainly QS. Our first trip in 2009 cost us around 3,000$. Our upcoming trip in December 2016 (Pop Warner week) is going to be a little above 5,000$. Same resort, same number of days, same food. We're in Canada, so part of that is the exchange rate that's currently adding 30% to any cost incurred in USD, which is everything except airfare. Combined with everything else having increased, it makes a significant difference!
This is going to be our first trip in two years, and probably the last until at least Toy Story Land opens.

Our cost has gone up considerably, but a lot of that is a result of our growing family and income and not Disney's price increases. Our first family trip was very affordable - 2 adults, 2 infants, All Star Sports with Free Dining for 7 days. Our next trip will be 10 days at a Grand Floridian one-bedroom villa with two adults, two kids, and two infants. The cost will continue to increase in a few years when we will need a two-bedroom villa and will be paying for 4 Disney adults and 2 Disney kids.

We have the money to spend at Disney, but we do look at the value still. This year, we are splurging for a date night at V&As, but we cut park hoppers for the first time. It just isn't worth it to pay something like $250 to be able to go to a different park in the afternoon. We are also going to do fewer buffet or table service breakfasts. Again, I just can't justify $200 for a breakfast when we can just eat in the room. We are also going to make the little ones share meals and cut back on pop. If everyone got a drink with dinner, it could end up being $20 for a table of six with tip. That is too much considering we can just get a two-liter for $2 back in our rooms before or after (hubby disagrees with me on this one because he wants his Coke with dinner). We may skip the Halloween party this year - it depends on the price. Our daughter is still doing BBB, but I downgraded the package and got an Elsa dress for $27 on sale at the Disney store instead of buying the $200 package. As our kids get older, we plan to cut down on buffets and share more meals.

We are lucky in that we have disposable income for vacations and do not have a strict budget. The issue is that the more we spend on Disney, the better deals other places look like! On our first vacation, we got airline points through a credit card and paid something like $2,500. There was no way we could go somewhere else that nice for this price. With a big family, we figured places like Europe or South America were out of the question. As our tastes and Disney prices have increased, it is no longer a cheap vacation. Once we are paying for our airfare and all the kids, I think the price would be roughly $6K for hotel (400 DVC points x $15pp if we sell), $2,500 in tickets, $2,500 in food, and $2,000 in airfare. $13,000 is a lot of money! As they continue to take away the magic and raise prices, now I am thinking we should skip Disney occasionally. If I had $13,000 to spend on another trip, we could take the kids to Costa Rica. If I could ever convince the family to skip two years of Disney, we could take an amazing trip to Europe. So, it isn't that Disney will price me out, it's more that they will price me into other things. If they convince me that I need to spend $10K+ to have the Disney vacation I want, maybe I just want a Hawaii vacation instead.

So, it isn't that Disney will price me out, it's more that they will price me into other things. If they convince me that I need to spend $10K+ to have the Disney vacation I want, maybe I just want a Hawaii vacation instead.

Exactly! Yesterday I mentioned to my husband that we could do 10 days in Italy for nearly the same price as our upcoming Disney vacation. Got us thinking, hard. DO we really want to go to Disney again? Is it really special enough to warrant the huge amount of money we spend there? Or is it time to look at broadening our horizons - a lot.

We are lucky in that we have disposable income for vacations and do not have a strict budget. The issue is that the more we spend on Disney, the better deals other places look like! On our first vacation, we got airline points through a credit card and paid something like $2,500. There was no way we could go somewhere else that nice for this price. With a big family, we figured places like Europe or South America were out of the question. As our tastes and Disney prices have increased, it is no longer a cheap vacation. Once we are paying for our airfare and all the kids, I think the price would be roughly $6K for hotel (400 DVC points x $15pp if we sell), $2,500 in tickets, $2,500 in food, and $2,000 in airfare. $13,000 is a lot of money! As they continue to take away the magic and raise prices, now I am thinking we should skip Disney occasionally. If I had $13,000 to spend on another trip, we could take the kids to Costa Rica. If I could ever convince the family to skip two years of Disney, we could take an amazing trip to Europe. So, it isn't that Disney will price me out, it's more that they will price me into other things. If they convince me that I need to spend $10K+ to have the Disney vacation I want, maybe I just want a Hawaii vacation instead.

It's funny that you talk about that, because right now it's just me, DH and our toddler. We can do Disney for a couple thousand dollars, between my husband being active duty and our daughter being free. No where else looks as fun right now for that price. We priced out beach house vacations because everyone says they are SOOO much cheaper, but it was almost the same cost. The beach for a week sounds a lot less appealing to us than a week at Disney. As our family grows, I'm sure our vacations will change some to reflect that, but right now, even with the ridiculous price increases, we can't beat it.

[FONT=Arial said:
If you don't have an airline credit card, get one. Racking up miles is EASY and I can't remember the last time we paid for a flight. A lot of cards have sign on bonuses that will basically get you round trip tickets. Use it for everything (you can pay it off right away), and you'll be surprised how those miles add up! [/FONT]
Amen to this point. I have a Southwest premier card ($99 annual fee) that I charge absolutely everything to, from groceries to my auto insurance, and in two years have enough points for nine RT flights this November, Pittsburgh to Orlando. But a big IF here: this works only if you can pay off the balance each month. If you can't it doesn't make sense to use this approach.

We priced out beach house vacations because everyone says they are SOOO much cheaper, but it was almost the same cost.

Exactly! For me, since I have an annual pass and live locally, the hotel is the largest part of the expense for a Disney trip, and hotels everywhere (at least, the ones that are decent enough to stay in) have raised their rates. A beach hotel that used to cost me $75 per night is now charging well over $200 per night - and most of the time I can find something at Disney for less than that and save the cost of the drive to the beach. I'm not saying Disney will never price me out - but right now at least, they are still competitive with other vacation spots.

When I first started booking this trip the Canadian Dollar was at it's lowest level in years and predicted to go even lower. When combined with disney's increased prices we had to turn our normal 8 night trip into a 6 night trip.

But with the recent rise in our dollar, it more than offsets any disney price hikes. So I have added an extra two days onto our trip.

But for us we try to keep prices down by:

1. Renting DVC points
2. Avoiding desserts when already full.
3. Not having a 13-15 dollar glass of wine with our meals. Water is much healthier, and a bit less expensive I hear.
4. Avoid appetizers
5. We may not get the park hopper this trip
6. No souvenirs and other Disney stuff that seems wonderful at the time, but never seen again once home.
7. In light of going in early December, sorry kids Christmas is canceled.:sad:

The math doesn't work if you weren't going to stay deluxe to begin with. For the cost of maintenance fees on a 75 point contract, I could stay 5-6 nights at Pop (rate we usually get is around $110/nt) or more offsite. That cost only goes up every year, and has nothing to do with the buy in.

Add in having to book no less than 7 months out, zero shot at any of the good times of year like Christmas or F&W, and the diminished benefits of resale contracts and its not a good deal for the average Disney visitor. Even a frequent one.

A:) You will not get Pop for $110 a night at Christmas or Easter. With DVC, you can book your home resort 11 months out and guarantee you have want you want for high periods. I've had no problem booking the dates I've wanted at WDW.
B:) Fees on my 160 point DVC are just a smidge over $1,000 a year. A 75 point contract would be $500 or just under, equal to 4 nights at Pop. Some of it is tax deductible.
C:) Many of us bought into DVC through resales during the economic downturn in the $50-70 a point range. I agree that benefits are reduced now and it is not as good of a deal now.
D:) I stayed at Pop last week as part of a run Disney package and craved my DVC every minute I was there. Didn't like the small room, just too hustle and bustley for me. The DVC resorts seem more laid back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter