• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much for sewing

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
A) I don't sew.
B) Wife could probably sew, but would be slow (a slow sewer:rotfl:) since she hasn't done it in ???

So, DS needs patches sewn on his Cub Scout uniform. There are 5 patches... 3 are the troop number, 1 is the council patch (sort of large), and 1 is ??.

The wife of a coworker offered to sew the patches on for us and will turn it around in 2 days so he can have it for his first camping trip.

She (through coworker) didn't offer a price, he just told me "whatever you feel like".

My first thought was $25. Does that seem high to anyone? She will apparently be using a machine, not hand sewing if that makes a difference.

BTW, I tried sewing one patch on this morning, got about two stitches in and was ready to tear up the shirt AND patch. I don't have patience for that kind of thing.

I was a Girl Guide leader for years, I used to hot glue on all my kids patches, about 5-6 mons declared me brilliant and started doing the same thing.... make sure glue is good and HOT first.....lol

I am sure there is fabric glue that would be better - I Michaels has one made by Aleene that a lot of guiding people use also.

( Girl Guides are the Canadian Version of Girl scouts)

One of the mom's inour girl scoot troop mentioned they charge her $3-4 per patch to sew them. I would say $3 for the numbers and $4 for the council one.

Funny you should post this question, as I was late taking my little boy to his Cub Scout meeting yesterday afternoon because I was putting his patches he earned last year on his uniform!

Here's how I do it (and it has been recommended to do it by moms in his troup): Use the Liquid Stitch that you can find in Wal-Mart in the sewing/craft section, and after applying it to the back of the patch, just iron it on! It stays on tight and is SO EASY!!!

Also, if you need help in knowing where stuff goes on the shirt, just go to boyscouttrail dot com and you can find out anything you need to know!!!:goodvibes

There is something called Badge Magic. It is made for putting on Cub Scout patches. It comes in sheets and has the outlines for the different patches already. Makes it really quick. It should be sold at the store where you got uniform/badges.

WOW! You guys are quick. Since coworker's wife already committed, I think I'll let her sew these on, and try the liquid stitch/fabric glue for later ones. I think I'll give her $20... $3 for the "smaller" ones (the extra one is small also), $4 for the large, and $4 for the quick turnaround.

Thanks all.

wow, $20 for 8 minutes of work? sign me up to machine sew badges! seriously, i would give her $10 max.

that is a lot of money to pay someone. The store that sold my son's uniforms would sew on the patches for $1 each. And they knew exactly wear to sew the patches on the shirt.

Sewing patches on with a machine is easy. I used to do it by hand, but changed to machine and wished I'd done it that way all along!

$25 is way too much, I'd say somewhere in the $5-$10 range.

not Scout patches, but i just paid 25.00 to have 5 athletic patches sewed on my daughters letter persons jacket. there were two 5 inch year 13patches(one set for cheer one set for track) which were sewn on each leather sleeve. One 6 inch junior varsity track letter sewn on the front of the coat. I might have attempted the JV letter, but no way would I sew on leather. 20.00 was more then generous

Be very careful with the fabric glue. Few years back when my son was in cub scouts and his patches needed to be on his shirt. Of course I waited until the very last minute - the day of the big popcorn kickoff thingy at the local pumpkin patch. I got cheap and lazy and didn't have the Boy Scout place sew the things on for a buck a patch and decided I would use the fabric glue.

Well, I somehow spilled the glue all over the shirt - it get's hard quickly. Ruined the shirt and all the patches. So my so didn't have a shirt to wear that day and I had to go buy a new shirt and all new patches!

I still haven't taken a sewing class....which I swore that I was going to do.

Good luck and I would pay them $2-3 per patch at the most.

Be very careful with the fabric glue. Few years back when my son was in cub scouts and his patches needed to be on his shirt. Of course I waited until the very last minute - the day of the big popcorn kickoff thingy at the local pumpkin patch. I got cheap and lazy and didn't have the Boy Scout place sew the things on for a buck a patch and decided I would use the fabric glue.

Well, I somehow spilled the glue all over the shirt - it get's hard quickly. Ruined the shirt and all the patches. So my so didn't have a shirt to wear that day and I had to go buy a new shirt and all new patches!

I still haven't taken a sewing class....which I swore that I was going to do.

Good luck and I would pay them $2-3 per patch at the most.

I personally like to sew the patches on but my neighbor swears by the badge magic. The nice thing is it is not liquid like a glue. It is a sheet of adhesive. You cut the shape you need (you can even buy sheets that have the typical sizes on them already) take of the adhesive and attach the badges.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply...S&c2=UNIFORMS&c3=UN_MISC&c4=&lv=3&item=501BMK

Most of DD badges are iron on and they always seem to come loose on the edges. I agree with the Prev posters, just glue them on! So much easier !

My son is in nursing school and has to have his school patches attached to the sleeves of his scrubs. I tried a couple of different fabric glues and neither of them worked once the garment was washed. We really needed these patches sewn on, so I asked a friend (who has a sewing machine) to do this for me. The next time we go out, I will treat for dinner.

I think $20 is fair.

As a former GS leader the liquid stitch doesn't work that well especially with the patches that have the plasticy type backs. It isn't that hard to sew them on, I did many over the 9 years. I used to find patches all over the room and we had to fiqure out who they belonged to. You could use the liquid stitch and tac the corners with a stitch of thread.

If you have someone willingly and able to meet your timeline, then $25 is a great price. You never know when you will need her again.;)

I haven't read the other responses, but I would suggest your wife teach your son to sew them on. It's very simple, though it will probably take him a while at first. My sons learned very quickly to sew buttons on when they figured out I was never going to get around to it.

Sheila

Get the Badge Magic. It's made specifically for Cub Scout insignia (there are sheets for all Girl Scout levels, too). I've been a GS Leader for over 10 years...personally I sew on the insignia, but the only other option people have had success with over the years is Badge Magic. Everything seems to wash out over time.
Your area Boy Scout Shop likely carries it, or it is avaliable online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter