How much $$ for F&WF?

05ChristmasSurprise

DIS Veteran
Now, someone correct me if I am misunderstanding, please.

I just found out that our trip is scheduled for the F&WF weekend -YAHOO! (We're total foodies)

Now, is it primarily booths set up all over epcot where you can sample different foods? We'd LOVE this - we tried to "eat" our way around the world last trip (brat and beer in Germany, cannoli and bellini in Italy, and by France we were stuffed! LOL)

So, is that it - roughly? I think I read something about private chef dinners, but we'll have 4 kids with us and I don't think that would be polite to the other diners ;)

Anything else we need to consider? And how much will it cost? (the "samples")
Thanks!

The samples add up fairly quickly :)

Actually more expensive than eating at a sitdown restaurant, but a little more fun...

I believe most of the samples will run you somewhere 2-4 dollars... I'm not including alcohol in that.

I don't know if it is kosher to post a link, but I now wdwig has the menus from the booths with the prices from last year.

Here is an excerpt :

PERU

Papas Rellenas - beef stuffed potato with roasted corn relish $2.50
Anticuchos with Papas Huancaina-Peruvian - chicken skewer with purple potato salad $3.25

Tabernero Blanc de Blanc $2.75 ($14.95 bottle)
Tabernero Borgona $3.25 ($17.95 bottle)
Tabernero Cabernet Sauvignon $3.50 ($18.95 bottle)

Cristal Beer - 12 ounces $4.25

NEW ZEALAND

Green Mussels in a ginger broth $2.50
Lamb Chop with mango chutney $4.25

Brancott Sauvignon Blanc $3.00 ($15.95 bottle)
Nobilo Chardonnay $2.75 ($14.95 bottle)
Villa Maria Cabernet-Merlot $3.25 ($17.95 bottle)

MEXICO

Quesadilla con Pollo y Chorizo - Chorizo and Chicken Quesadilla $3.50
Taco de Pollo al Carbon - grilled chicken taco $3.00

Watermelon Juice $2.00
Monte Xanic Sauvignon Blanc $3.25
Casa Madero Cabernet Sauvignon $3.00
Dos Equis Lager $2.55/$4.00

I think if you brought enough for what you would have paid for 2 sit down meals per person with drinks....that you could snack away happily all day.

I used F&WF for my dinner...and I got a main course, dessert and wine for less than $10. Portions are appetizer size, but that was good for me.

So $50 - $100 per person per day depending on how much you think you will eat and drink.

We did the booths over two days last year. We started on the left the first day and went half way around and were stuffed and lightly tipsy by the time we hit the halfway mark. Two days later we started on the right and did the same thing.

It was a blast, we spent about $6 at each booth on average, so it does add up fast. Some of the alcohol was more expensive than that.

We loved it so much we are going again this year :teeth:

Thank you SO much

So, would you say that a "sample" is enough for you and another person to share one or two bites (at least?)

That's ideal for us, really. Just tastes here and there.

Bummer that it's free dining time, though - I guess we'll just have to save our plan meals for another day.

I guess that WOULD give us an excuse to go back to California Grill (since that's a 2-credit sit down meal) :) LOL

05ChristmasSurprise said:
Thank you SO much

So, would you say that a "sample" is enough for you and another person to share one or two bites (at least?)

The samples are generally enough to share between two people, yes.

However, some of them are so tasty that you will end up buying two (one for each person). And some of the samples won't float your boat and you could end up wasting theM :(

I would bring at least $100 in cash for 2 ppl.

I've been to the F&WF twice in the last couple years and easily spent that much with me and DH.

Some samples are large like the baked ziti in Italy (which was surpisingly AWESOME!!) and I ate it like a meal. Others were small.

It all depends. But it is worth every penny :)

This is the best food you will ever get in Disney! :cool1: The lamb chops from Australia last year were amazing, I think they were 5.00 but very small. :rolleyes:

LOL

Okay - we'll budget $200.

With free dining, it will SOOOO be worth it.

Any chance I can use the DDE card on this? (Probably not) Oh well - had to ask :)

Does anyone know if I can just use my Disney Rewards card at the booths - or is it too much of a hassle - should I figure on all cash?

We went 2x's last year. We were there a week, over Columbus Weekend, Oct 12ish. The first time was on a Wed or Thur and DH and I spent about $45, and had more then enought to eat. We took from 11am to after 7pm to eat our way around. Very light crowds on this day, no lines till late afternoon, and then only 3 or 4 people in front of us. It was great!

Went back that Sat. Was there when they opened and lines were much longer, but not horrid. The longest line was about 10 min for a really popular country. Since we were with my large DB and SIL and had DS/13 and DNiece3, and the 2 of us I took my own $$$ so DH would not know how much I spent...About $100. All of us spend money, about $30, without booze. DB and SIL and I did do the booze and that was about $10 more for me and 3x's that for each of them...

However- they have FREE food and wine tasting. You don't get a ton of stuff to eat or drink, but each event we went to we got more then I thought we would. DH and I did the Champange tasting... WOW! 3 glasses of nice Champange, about 1/3 a glass each.. FREE. And the Australian Wine was lightly attended and we had several large samples of around 5 different red wines. Samual Adams beer had 1oz + tastes of at least 5 or 6 beers. All free. And we attended a cooking show that had tortillas and we each got a 1/2 tortilla filled with stuff.

Non of us, except the 2 kids, are small folks.. and 3 of us will eat almost anything, and did! DH is a really, really, really picky eater, and he tried everything except the mussels and some of the other seafoods.

Love Food and Wine!

Also if you have the kids, try and do the Mickey Not-So-Scarry-Halloween-Party.(MNSSHP) We have done this several times. DH is the biggest kid and allways ends up with more Trick and Treat candy then anyone else in the group! and you get free photos!

Oh, we plan to!
Thanks for the info! :)

So, when you say it was $10 extra for you and three times that for them - do you mean three times ten (so $30 for each of them)??

Just trying to get a rough estimate of how much DH and I will need. :)

As for the wine tastings and cooking demonstrations - where are they?
Is it something you need reservations or something for or is it just a walk-up thing? Is it something that children can attend (short, outside?) or is it something that is more geared for the adults?

bjakmom said:
Does anyone know if I can just use my Disney Rewards card at the booths - or is it too much of a hassle - should I figure on all cash?
Used mine last year and am saving my rewards to use again this year. Lots of people pay with room charge and CCs so it is no big deal.

05ChristmasSurprise said:
As for the wine tastings and cooking demonstrations - where are they?
Is it something you need reservations or something for or is it just a walk-up thing? Is it something that children can attend (short, outside?) or is it something that is more geared for the adults?

There are booths/kiosks set up all around the World Showcase. They are outside. Some of the wineries, countries, brewers, etc. have more elaborate setups for demonstrations, lectures and tastings. The things that idofabric described do not require reservations, but you must stand in line to attend. The champagne tasting was the longest line we encountered, although the Sam Adams line was almost as long. They did check IDs at these two events, but I cannot say whether or not there were children admitted anyway. Someone else might know the answer to that!

The F&W Festival can certainly be attended by children. I think that your 4 children might get bored at the beer and champagne lecture/tastings. The Australian wine area was set up in such a way that you could walk through it and keep moving, so that ought to work out. Even if you had to "baby swap" with your DH you ought to be able to do that with the kids. :teeth:

There was an area set up by the Honey Council (not certain I have that name right) that your children might also enjoy and it was free. If your kids like to eat I think you will have a wonderful time and find plenty to keep you -- and them -- busy!

05ChristmasSuprise- I was talking about the cost of different drinks at each booth. My DB and SIL both do a little more drinking then I do... And they either tried a lot more/or had more then 1 drink if they liked it. DB did buy 3 of the Honey Meads and 3 Ice Wines, but it was for all 3 of us drinking- however SIL had ALSO got 1-2 of each of these, so of course we could NOT let it go to waste( it did all go to waist, but that is another story...).

We had a 13 and a 3 yo with us. The kids did not go to any of the wine/beer tasting. They did go to the cooking show. We did the Champange tasting on the Wed/Thur? we were there. And since it was a mid week event we only showed up 10 min befor and got seats with out a problem. However on Sat. we did line up for cooking/tasting, and it was a 15-30 min wait.

They sold a cookbook also in Interventions. It was under $10, and did not have every food we tasted, but a majority of the stuff we had tasted and liked.

ooooh - I follow now :)
Thanks so much for explaining that for me.

And, I really appreciate everyone sharing their information!
We have "little foodies" in the works with our four kids and I think they'll have a blast trying foods from around the world. They LOVE all kinds of things - and are willing to try new, "exotic" (in the realm of kid food) foods all the time. (For example, they BEG for artichokes in the store - the whole ones...and refuse to eat Happy meals) LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter