How much food to bring/buy when on dining plan?

I think you are going to have more food than you think. If you are doing mostly buffets/ family style, your 2 year old can eat all she wants at those. The only time you have to worry about feeding her is when you have TS order off the menu meals and quick service. My husband and I found that when DD was 2, she could usually just eat from our plates in those instances. It was more than enough. A few times we bought her a kids meal or an extra side (usually when she didn't want what we were eating). If she is a really big eater, you can split with her and also break out that fruit you took from the buffet the day before or your dry snacks. Use one of the snack credits to feed her. We always have a ton of snack credits left over.

Thank you! It's my first time with DD and it's so hard!
I think I will try to utilize the snack credits as much as I can!

Yeah, I spent 12 snack credits in Goofy's Candy Co our last day. :)

12 snack credits! That's a lot! I will definitely make sure I get something every day.

To me, the $15 delivery fee is worth the peace of mind for having what I need when we get there, not having to lug stuff with us (and we drive) and not having grocery shop on vacation. It's there waiting when we get there.

I wonder whether Garden Grocer's delivery fee is worth it if I am doing:
1. Packing dry cereal boxes, cereal bars, granola bars from home
2. Buying a case of water from the gift shop for $6.99 and 1/2 gallon of milk as we go through them.

We're in Canada and the prices of Garden Grocer shocks me!

We always get a case of water. Depending on where you stay, there may be water in the giftshop. I know all the DVCs have a shop with water, but I'm not sure about CBR. You could order water from Amazon or Sam's Costco and have it delivered. I did an order from Prime Pantry this trip.

I think your plan sounds better. As for the refrigerators, I don't think they have a freezer section. If they do it is very small. I'm not sure the bagels will fit or actually freeze very well.

I heard from CBR forum that there is water in the giftshop for $6.99.
We're from Canada and we only have Amazon.ca account. I think Prime Pantry is for Prime members only, right?

Ah, thank you. So the freezer option is out.

I can't get bananas home safely from the grocery store!!

I hear what you mean!

Be prepared for your fruit to be in sad shape if you check it - the compartment isn't pressurized, or kept at a viable temperature. If you use a carryon for it, it will probably be OK, but may be bruised/squished and inedible after a few days. Could you pack vegetables instead? Carrots, celery, other solid things that hold up better?

Dry good - like cereal boxes - are okay in the check in luggage, right?
As many of other said, I will try to get my fruit supplies from buffet and just bring couple just in case.

I like carrot idea! Thank you!

Garden Grocer does seem to be marked up. If you look at Publix prices, they're more reasonable. Shipt.com is a $14/mo fee with a free 2 week trial, then regular store prices.

Isn't fruit at Disney very expensive?

We do a lot of buffets. Is it allowed to bring a banana or two apples?

I think that people don't realize how much food the DDP allows, especially if you plan well.

If you check out the dining menus you can get an idea of what is offered at CS restaurants, and choose the restaurants that you can split a meal with the children. The credits are lumped together, so you wil not be forced to order kids meals.

Children's meals are fairly inexpensive though, so if you choose to add a meal, a kid CS meal is not much at all.

You little one will not have a credit, but at buffets she will be able to have her own meal, you will need to plan a beverage, but many times the server will offer one for kids.

Yes, you can take a piece of fruit from the buffet, but I do not think you can take enough to feed a fruit loving child as much as you indicated your child could eat. You may need to revisit her snacking habits, but I et you will be surprised at how dining habits change at WDW.

Hi,

We're family of 3 and our DD is 2.5 years old, staying at CBR for 14 days.
We are on DDP and will do most lunches and dinners with DDP credit, so I wonder how much else to pack for extra food? We're flying to MCO and will have extra suitcase for food.

My DD eats a lot - she sometimes eats as much as I do. So I think she eats fairly good amount.
My DH and I have normal appetite.

I was thinking of bringing some cereal boxes (maybe 2-3 kinds) and some sort of bread for breakfast.
and bring 2 different types of fruits each day for snacks. (AM and PM snacks: 2*3 = 6 fruits / day)

So that will be something like:
21 apples
21 bananas
15 pears
15 plums/peaches
15 oranges

Is that too much as we will have snack credits?

We get 2 snack credits per day (2 adults, DD free), and with our snack credits, we want to use them for like Mickey Mouse ice cream, Dole Whip, Pretzel, bakery goods, etc.
and simply pack pouched apple sauce for my DD?

Please help me!

I wouldn't bring extras except for many the little cereal boxes or apple sauce pouches for quick snacks and if you find you need anything else you can order from Amazon Now.

Thanks for the reply. BTW, I am just curious, why didn't you use the dining credit when they were hungry?

sorry for the misunderstanding they are usually hungry at home. They seem to eat and eat at home but on the Dining plan we could never use all of our dining points.

I think that people don't realize how much food the DDP allows, especially if you plan well.

If you check out the dining menus you can get an idea of what is offered at CS restaurants, and choose the restaurants that you can split a meal with the children. The credits are lumped together, so you wil not be forced to order kids meals.

Children's meals are fairly inexpensive though, so if you choose to add a meal, a kid CS meal is not much at all.

You little one will not have a credit, but at buffets she will be able to have her own meal, you will need to plan a beverage, but many times the server will offer one for kids.

Yes, you can take a piece of fruit from the buffet, but I do not think you can take enough to feed a fruit loving child as much as you indicated your child could eat. You may need to revisit her snacking habits, but I et you will be surprised at how dining habits change at WDW.

I have been observing her dining habits, and she still loves steak, fish, pasta, noodles, fruits etc and dislikes fried food, french fries, mash potatoes, pan cakes, etc.
I think if I plan lunch/dinners well, she won't need as much fruits as she does at home. I hope she doesn't!

Depending on your resort, do not assume there will be a mini fridge.

I am at CBR. I think there's a fridge, no?

I wouldn't bring extras except for many the little cereal boxes or apple sauce pouches for quick snacks and if you find you need anything else you can order from Amazon Now.

I am from Canada. Can I still order from Amazon?

sorry for the misunderstanding they are usually hungry at home. They seem to eat and eat at home but on the Dining plan we could never use all of our dining points.

Ah, I see. It could be the stimulation.
My DD just had 'eating super a lot' phase. Hopefully it dies down a bit by the time we go (in 29 days!)

We're back and I'd like to give an updates for those who took the time to help me with this planning and those who want to use this thread as their references.

So we brought...
2 boxes of cereal - Finished all and bought another box.
12 apples - Finished (didn't need more)
6 bananas - Finished (didn't need more)
10 clementines - Finished (didn't need more, but it would have been nice if there were more)
24 small pouches of apple sauce - Finished (didn't need more)
40 granola bars - Barely ate them (will not bring next time)

And had 3 snack credits left, which we brought baked goods for us to eat on the plane.

As some of you mentioned, my DD didn't eat as much as I thought. I think she was quite occupied too.
Some snacks were HUGE in portion (like funnel cakes), or too sweet (mickey ice cream bar), so we didn't have much of snack appetite and big lunches and dinners also helped. :)

Thanks for the update! I plan to pack a suitcase of fruits and veggies too (2 week trip). Like you, it will be bananas, apples, and clementines. Also plan to add carrots and cucumbers. Oh and cereal too.

Thanks for the update! I plan to pack a suitcase of fruits and veggies too (2 week trip). Like you, it will be bananas, apples, and clementines. Also plan to add carrots and cucumbers. Oh and cereal too.

When are you going? Are you on a DDP?
We ended up not eating as much as we thought and DDP had snack credits, which also helped.

Have fun packing and planning!!
We are still struggling to finish granola bars. Lol

When are you going? Are you on a DDP?
We ended up not eating as much as we thought and DDP had snack credits, which also helped.

Have fun packing and planning!!
We are still struggling to finish granola bars. Lol

Yeah we are on DDP witha group of 7, including a 3 yr old. So I already know we are going to be drowning in food. It is my brother and SIL's first visit though and they have already asked me about shopping for groceries :)

That said, I really want to pack some fruits and veggies as I know that we will be lacking that in vacation food. Plus, my DD16 in particular will be craving some fresh stuff after a few days of vacation food.

We will have the dining plan too and plan to pack cereal, oatmeal packets, and bagels for breakfast. I'm curious how did the clementines hold up in the suitcase during your flight? I am considering packing clementines and packs of apple slices.

We will have the dining plan too and plan to pack cereal, oatmeal packets, and bagels for breakfast. I'm curious how did the clementines hold up in the suitcase during your flight? I am considering packing clementines and packs of apple slices.

FYI: apple slices are readily available everywhere in Disney, and usually can replace fried as a side for CS meals. Still good to have handy but not as necessary to pack. We usually get plenty of grapes and apple slices with DDP.

Yeah we are on DDP witha group of 7, including a 3 yr old. So I already know we are going to be drowning in food. It is my brother and SIL's first visit though and they have already asked me about shopping for groceries :)

That said, I really want to pack some fruits and veggies as I know that we will be lacking that in vacation food. Plus, my DD16 in particular will be craving some fresh stuff after a few days of vacation food.

At the buffet, there were a lot of fruits and veggies. Not whole lot of variety, but was always available.
But if it wasn't buffet or QS, I found the options are rather limited. And I didn't want to use snack credit for a whole food.

What surprised me was at the buffet, you have many choices of salad. So it was quite refreshing for us. :)

I had clementines (along with other fruits) with me in my carry-on bag, just in case.
Other items, like cereals, granola bars, all traveled in a box. :)

I had clementines (along with other fruits) with me in my carry-on bag, just in case.
Other items, like cereals, granola bars, all traveled in a box. :)

I didn't know we could have food in our carry on bags on the plane. I'm definitely bringing clementines and apples. Saving the snack credits for Starbucks and all the goodies :laughing:.

I didn't know we could have food in our carry on bags on the plane. I'm definitely bringing clementines and apples. Saving the snack credits for Starbucks and all the goodies :laughing:.

Not sure if you like them, but green bananas are pretty awesome to bring b/c they ripen while you are there (so as your ripe apples and clementines get eaten 1st, you'll have another pretty fruit to eat 2nd) and b/c Disney meals don't ever come with fresh bananas...and they are stupid cheap and healthy...and a soothing choice if anyone gets a little tummy trouble (from motion sickness, heat, germs, etc)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter