How much extra do you spend?

On our last cruise on the Dream 5 nights with 2 adults 4 children we were about $800 and that included tips. We did not do any excursions, used the nursery only once to go to Palos (DS 2 1/2 did not want to go to the nursery) and we are not big drinkers so maybe 2 drinks of the day. Bought the kids something at the gift shop, got the 3 DDs hair braided and spent about $300 at shutters.

This cruise we have $400 OBC between the 2 rooms (which we generally use for tips) and are doing a non Disney excursion in St Thomas. We have a Palos brunch booked and I would like to do Mixology. I am not a fan of spa treatments so that is not an issue for us. This maybe our last DCL trip so I think our wallet will take another big hit from Shutters. We had so many fabulous pictures to choose from that we didn't even think twice about buying a large package. We waited until embarkation morning and stopped at shutters then since we didn't have to catch a flight or rush off the boat for any other reason than to get to DH uncles house nearby. we had all of our photos and my mothers and in laws photos to choose from. It was a ton of pictures to go through but was so worth it for us.

Not sure what we will spend this time. Probably closer to the $1000 range since its 7 days. Thinking maybe for my oldest DD and I to do parasailing at CC. You should be able to figure out at least a spending range after reading the previous posts and trying to decide what you may like to do onboard. Have fun! Only 7 more sails till its my turn!!

Maybe we're cruise "tight-wads", but besides excursions and tips, we spend VERY little - really only a few souveniers here and there and maybe a meal or two while off the ship (depending on length of the cruise). We don't do the spa; we love the MDR food, so do not spend extra on Palo or Remy; we don't usually drink alcohol much at home, so we stick to soda or water on the cruise; On our first cruise (only a 3 night) we didn't even spend $100 extra after tips & excursions. On our upcoming 7 night, I'm planning on maybe $300 extra.

:teacher:

Off topic, but is it cheaper to prepay for the Shutters CD?

No, but like pre paying tips, it's nice not to think about it as another expense while you are cruising. I would have talked myself out of getting it, and it is one of my favourite souvenirs.

I found all the posts really interesting, especially those there were able to spend so little! :rotfl: I can tell you it is REALLY easy to rack up a very large bill if you're not careful. When we go on a cruise, it's a splurge. I mean, DCL is not cheap, and I much prefer the longer cruises.

If you like to do some of the things we love while onboard: spa treatment(s), adult dining, shopping, enjoying wine with dinner and/or cocktails after the show and before dinner, excursions, etc., you will have a pretty hefty sum to pay. Obviously, some cruises we have spent more than others. We do not do very many excursions at all, having sailed a number of times. Alaska last summer? We definitely signed up for excursions.

Bottom line is that YOU are the only one that can determine how much you're going to spend. It is pretty easy to figure out some of the expenses ahead of time, others you will have to estimate. But whether you spend a lot or a little, you are going to have SO much fun!!! pixiedust:

A four night cruise about 250.00. On our seven night cruise we spent about 467.00 on board 250.00 wine package, 100.00 at Palo,25.00 on laundry. Not sure where the other 100 went. Mai Tai's maybe?:scratchin We did not do any excursions through Disney, but we spent about 400.00 in cash venturing out on our own.

We went on a 7 day Western and spent about 800.00 not including tips or a deposit on this years. That was a Dolphin excursion and gift shop, maybe 50.00 on drinks and about 100.00 in arcade. We are going on a 12 day EBTA in May and will budget about the same not including tips

When we went last year my BFF and I spent around 400-500 including tips on a 5 night WC. She got a few drinks of the day and did a wine tasting, I had a spa treatment (deal of the day but still 120 plus tip) and a couple drinks at CC, she got some souvenirs for her kids, at little shopping in Cozumel but no excursions.

My DH and I are doing a 5 night in September and I think well bring about the same amount. We're planning on an excursion in Nassau and maybe one in CC, we'll probably pre pay tips. We don't drink so we won't be racking up there. We do want to do a dinner a palou.

I really need to iron down what extras were planning on doing so we can know how much to bring. This is our first big vacation and were doing it all cash- no credit.

It varies, but for two adults it averages about $100 per day, including shore excursions and tips.

I'm a little anal, so I budget out exactly what we plan on spending in my planning stage. I look at menus, estimate for any extras, etc. I have rarely gone over. I like knowing exactly how much I am spending and when I need to stop! For our upcoming B2B on the dream in June, here is our breakdown. We are hitting WDW for a few nights prior, but not doing any parks, and attending a family wedding in Bradenton on saturday.

Thursday airfare to MCO $825 already paid
lunch at BWI $40.00 aiport before flight
Bay Lake $- points
dinner $30.00 contempo café
drinks $32.00 pool bar
rental car $125.00 p/up at airport-drop off at port
Friday breakfast $25.00 contempo café
lunch $25.00 light lunch at captain cooks
dinner $145.00 ohana
hotel $- DVC-BLT
Saturday breakfast $25.00 contempo café
lunch $25.00 light lunch in bradenton
dinner $- at wedding
hotel $92.55 Holiday Inn Sarasota/Lakewood
Sunday breakfast $20.00 Starbucks on way to port
lunch $- on board ship
dinner $- on board ship
drinks $23.00
Monday excursions $251.75 Atlantis-comfort suites
taxi $15.00 from port to Comfort suites
lunch/snacks $75.00 at atlantis
Tuesday excursions $117.00 castaway cay full getaway package
Wednesday palo brunch $50.00
Saturday palo dinner $50.00
kayaks $18.00 at castaway cay
Sunday rental car to MCO $45.22 Dollar
parking at BWI $100.00
souvies $300.00
TIPPING on cruise $252.00

But I'm curious, how much extra do you typically charge to your stateroom during your cruise? (Not including tips, I've already figured those) I'm just trying to get a sort of average.

Other than the cost of tips, our family of five, on a 7-day cruise usually has a stateroom bill of nearly $400.00. This typically includes 2 meals at Palo for dh and me, a few beers and a few mixed drinks, a couple on-board activities (e.g. tastings), bike rentals at CC, braiding for dd and a spa visit.

On our 7 night we spent about $1500, on our 4 night we spent about $1200 and on the 5 night we are going on in 17 days, (yeah, 17 more sleeps), we are budgeting about $1350. pirate:

We are splurging on Palo for a first. $50. Honey is doing Sea Lions with the group and I'm observing for BL. $160. We also booked catamaran so we can snorkel relaxed instead of exhausted swimming against the current to get to the fish after running the 5k. $110. Drinks will be covered and prepaid tips are done altho we will bring cash for incidentals. So that's $320, right? Seems like a whole lotta fun for $320 bucks...ours is a 4 day. We don't buy popcorn or fancy coffees either. Normally I never pay for food either but honey was minimally impressed with breakfast last time so we are splurging to try and hook our picky foody honies...

The pricy part is the land part. $391 unless I can throw rewards at it and lower it for 2 day base tickets. $213 for SeaW and BuschG combos but that equals $604 for both of us includ tax for four park days, so $300 pp ain't bad. I got us all vacation homes and suites for $50 a night including tax! And now I got our van for $275 for the duration (add $50 to park). We got airfare for $242.

I shopped and shopped my mermaid tail off to get this trip as cheap as possible. Thankfully, we only had to pay $600 for our 4 day cruise, and that's total WITH tips for the two of us.

On our 4 night cruise, 2 adults, 2 kids, not including tips ($200) or excursions (we didn't do any) we spent a total of $162.37. That $162.37 was spent on popcorn & drinks for movies (we went once as a family the kids went once alone and DD went once alone) specialty drink at one of the shows, a hat, sunscreen (2 bottles), and sand toys for DS on our CC day, a paddle boat rental for 30 mins, and laundry (4 loads). I budgeted $500. We had a lot left over to spend on the WDW portion of our trip!

Maybe we're cruise "tight-wads", but besides excursions and tips, we spend VERY little - really only a few souveniers here and there and maybe a meal or two while off the ship (depending on length of the cruise). We don't do the spa; we love the MDR food, so do not spend extra on Palo or Remy; we don't usually drink alcohol much at home, so we stick to soda or water on the cruise; On our first cruise (only a 3 night) we didn't even spend $100 extra after tips & excursions. On our upcoming 7 night, I'm planning on maybe $300 extra.

:teacher:
"tight-wads" :lmao: I dont know why but I find that term funny. Anyway, on our 7 night cruise we spent about $500 (2 people), and that includes the tip and excursions! So as you can see, we didnt buy much. I remember buying two alcoholic drinks all week (im not much of a drinker), and i bought a beach towel while at castaway cay...thats about it. We didnt feel the need to purchase much.

EDIT: Ooops! Didnt realise this thread was so old. It popped up on my alerts when someone 'liked' my post. My bad.

On our 7 night, I pre-paid the shutters cd and prints and pre paid tips. Then our extra costs were $740. Some Palo... some drinks(not every day)...some shopping... some laundry service. No spa or excursions. (3 people)

This was us. Prepaid Shutters and tips. Booked our own private excursions and wound up with about $800 due at the end of the 14 days. We did a few tastings, one spa special, some shopping, some laundry.

We prepaid gratuities but still added an extra $100, I had a drink of the day ($10), hubby and I did mixology ($50 with tip), Blue Lagoon dolphin swim ($1100), cabana ($600) and Remy ($225). Also we probably spent $200 in souvenirs from the gift shops. I had $1200 in Disney gift cards and put the rest on our credit card on our account. It was a 4 day with 5 people total. Next time we would do less but it was our first and we wanted to do everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter