• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much do you tip in Remy and Palo?

bsusanmb

Childhood sweethearts married on the Magic 6/2/13
We are doing Palo dinner and Remy champagne lunch. How much tip should we leave?

We did 25 Percent. The next day we were surprised that he was working lunch at Serenity Bay. I assumed he would have just worked at Palo.

We did 25 Percent. The next day we were surprised that he was working lunch at Serenity Bay. I assumed he would have just worked at Palo.

WOW, I always thought that the Palo (and now Remy) staff were exclusive and didn't have to do the other venues.

At Remy dinner here is how our total cost broke down:

Meal for 2 = $150
Wine before auto tip = approx $142
Auto tip for wine = approx $22
Tip we left servers = $63

Total = $380

We split 4 bottles of wine between 3 parties. The total for the four bottles was right at $425. The restaurant was great at equally dividing everything out. The above is just for DH and me. I think DH may have went a bit above and beyond on the tip. But the meal was worth a lot more than $75 each. I think our waiter for a party of 5 probably got $150 over the auto tip on the wine. But we have a ton of people waiting on us. And the sommelier went above and beyond. He met with us earlier in the day to help us with our wine choices. Loved the experience!

Agree on the 20% of what!!???!!! The Champagne Brunch is $20 per person- so 20% of $40 is obviously not even close to enough!!!:confused3

MISSREBECCA76 said:
Agree on the 20% of what!!???!!! The Champagne Brunch is $20 per person- so 20% of $40 is obviously not even close to enough!!!:confused3

Well what do YOU feel is enough? Because that is what you should tip.

Well what do YOU feel is enough? Because that is what you should tip.

Tipping is all relative to the person tipping. We feel that we should tip based on our estimated value of the meal, not the up charge for the meal. So for Palo dinner, we usually tip about $30-40, depending on the service. This would be 20%+ for a meal that is valued at $150 to $200. About what we might spend for dinner for 2 and drinks at CG at WDW.

We were a bit stumped at Remy. We have never experienced anything like it. But we knew it was worth a lot more than $75 a person. On hind sight, we probably under tipped for Remy. We gave about $85 total. But that would mean the meal and wine were only worth about $400 to $450 for the two of us. That could be, but the wine was $142 alone. So now I am taking back my commit that DH went a bit over with the tip. He may have been a bit on the low end.

But as I said, this is based on our opinion. Everyone has to do what they feel is correct.

We don't drink so our bill was just $40 (free now that we're platinum!)
We tip $20. I don't think it's fair to go by a percentage. Even at 20% that would only be $8.

I could be wrong, but from all that I have heard on podcasts and read elsewhere on the DIS, I believe the charge (20-75 Dollars) to dine at the restaurant is the gratuity for the server. The reason that there is a charge for these restaurants is not because of the food, but because the servers are not in the same tipping pool as those in the MDR. If you purchase alcohol, the gratuity will be added automatically to the bill. Any extra tip you feel that you would like to leave is at your discretion, but it would be IN ADDITION to the gratuity you are paying as the charge to go to the restaurant. Am I wrong?:confused3

I could be wrong, but from all that I have heard on podcasts and read elsewhere on the DIS, I believe the charge (20-75 Dollars) to dine at the restaurant is the gratuity for the server. The reason that there is a charge for these restaurants is not because of the food, but because the servers are not in the same tipping pool as those in the MDR. If you purchase alcohol, the gratuity will be added automatically to the bill. Any extra tip you feel that you would like to leave is at your discretion, but it would be IN ADDITION to the gratuity you are paying as the charge to go to the restaurant. Am I wrong?:confused3

They get a portion of that. They do not get the entire up-charge. From what has been posted here in the past, it is a very small amount, at least in Palo.

I too think you should tip on the estimated value of the meal- BUT I have a hard time thinking any meal is $150 a plate! Maybe it is because I have not experienced it?
We are doing the champagne brunch this time and I think we will tip around $20- plus whatever auto tips there are for the drinks.

I am still confused on how much to tip. We are going to Remy for dinner and Palo for brunch. Did I read somewhere that Champagne/wine has gratuity added to it already on the bill? I really want to make sure we leave an appropriate tip. I realize this is subjective, but still very confusing.
What is recommended for Palo brunch and Remy dinner excluding alcohol? I can add 20% to our Champagne/wine cost.
Thank you!

I too think you should tip on the estimated value of the meal- BUT I have a hard time thinking any meal is $150 a plate! Maybe it is because I have not experienced it?
We are doing the champagne brunch this time and I think we will tip around $20- plus whatever auto tips there are for the drinks.

I am still confused on how much to tip. We are going to Remy for dinner and Palo for brunch. Did I read somewhere that Champagne/wine has gratuity added to it already on the bill? I really want to make sure we leave an appropriate tip. I realize this is subjective, but still very confusing.
What is recommended for Palo brunch and Remy dinner excluding alcohol? I can add 20% to our Champagne/wine cost.
Thank you!

I completely understand your confusion yvonneh, as it goes back to the post above from missrebecca. How does a person determine the "estimated value" of the meal when they've had nothing to compare it to previously? Person A might believe it to be a $75/person meal but Person B believes it to be a $200/person meal based on what their experiences have been. I had planned on a $20 tip for my husband and I at Palo. I didn't put much thought into the value of the meal but more so that I would normally spend $100+ on a birthday dinner and Palo will be my birthday dinner while cruising so $60 seemed fair. Does that mean that I am valuing Palo dinner at ~$100? I have never eaten there but I do know what $100 will get me in Dallas so we'll see how that compares when I finally do get to eat there.

Thank you!

Alcohol will have a 15% tip added. There really is not a recommended amount. For Palo most people post they tip $10-20 pp. Of course some tip much, much more than that.

I love Palo as much as the next person. But, I don't go into the main dining rooms and eat breakfast, lunch and dinner for seven days and then try to determine how much the meals would cost and tip on that amount. And, I don't do that in Palo either. We usually tip $10 pp extra when we dine at Palo.

The answers on this question are always all over the place. Each person needs to determine what they are comfortable doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter