How much do you spend on merchandise?

I spend less than $50 for souvenirs for our family. We don't spend much money on souvenirs, but we are lucky enough to go to WDW every year to every two years (one year we went 3 times!). One time I bought DD a dress in AK for $25; she'd just come off Kali River Rapids and was wearing a white shirt! I bet she's worn that dress 50 times since I bought it, so it was a good deal (I knew this'd be the case at the time). Sometimes DD does pick-a-pearl, so that's about $15. Once we bought DD a stuffed Minnie for $19; she keeps Minnie on her bed. M doesn't go everywhere with DD, but she went to college! Let's see... one year we were in WDW for Valentine's Day, and DH and DD bought me a mother and baby wooden giraffe sculpture. I treasure it to this day. There are the POP cutting boards I brought home for me, my best friend, and my sis; they were $3 each! As you can see, $50 is overkill for us!

I think the most we ever spent was the time we bought matching tee shirts for me, DD, my sister, niece, DH, and BIL. The girls' shirts are purple with the Disney "Bad Girls;" Cruella, Ursula, Maleficent, Drusilla and Anastasia, Madame Mim, Cheshire Cat, Snow White Witch, etc. The guys' shirts are black and have the "Bad Boys:" Scar, Gaston, Captain Hook, Chernabog, Frollo, Sir John, etc. SOme of them glow in the dark! These are our favorite souvenirs, even though they are about 13 years old. We still all wear them when we travel together! I just love these shirts!

I'm a local, so I usually just purchase food while there.

However, I currently have an obsession with Lion King, so any of that merchandise, I'll definitely be scooping up on my visits.

We never buy souvenirs *gasp* with the exception of a F&G pin in the Spring. What looks so good and practical (or not) at Disney becomes clutter and junk at home most of the time. We've heard lots of people say they never look at, wear, play with, whatever, things after they got home, and everything went to closets and then with time, to Goodwill (or similar charity). I forgot, 5 or so years ago, my dh bought me a Mickey watch and I wear and love it very much. Other than that, basically nothing.
Can see in your situation OP, being so far from home, and only going to Disney occasionally, that you would buy more than we would.
Everyone has their own wants, but being the practical sort, I try to look at things I see from "being in a Disney emotional setting" to what things will look like when I'm at home. :goodvibes

$613.64

Just in three days at DisneyLAND. Really.

We have 7 days coming up in Disneyworld at the end of August where we may spend about the same.

I know the exact amount because we use our Disney Visa for everything on our Disney trips. Why not get a little cash back from the mouse as well? Anyway, I budget for the travel expenses (rental car, hotel, airfare if we fly, etc.) and all the food, while my wife takes care of all the souvenirs (clothes, pins, hats, trinkets, plushies, etc.) When we get our statement we sort it all out in a spreadsheet (yes, I'm that guy, don't hate, I'm a nerdy, near-OCD planner. You should see my pre-trip spreadsheets!)

For our August trip we have our Disney rewards dollars, plus I get Disney gift cards as rewards from my credit union credit card I use for expenses throughout the year, plus we recently became DVC members, where we received more Disney gift cards. All in all we're going down with about $700 in gift cards, which should be enough for our souvenirs there. If you don't count the money my wife spent on ebay buying a lot of 300 pins for the kids to trade away with the CMs. They love their pin trading. It'll be interesting with the new FP enforcement trying to get to SM for our FP time, all the way stopping at every CM with a lanyard so they can trade. You should see them all (DW, DD12, DD9, DD6) when they spot a trading CM, it's so cute.

Mostly somewhere between $30 and $75. A lot of what I find at the parks, I can also find online....some of the stuff is that generic. :rolleyes:

I would say we spend about $300 in miscellaneous expenses. But that's not all merchandise. We go with the QSDP and usually have to supplement some meals (breakfast, meals for the younger kids not on the DP, and we always do one sit down).
I'd say as far as merchandise it's probably 100-150 in an 8 day trip.

I have been many times so my souvenier purchase are usually mugs and pens at this point. Maybe a sweatshirt and the kids just get a few small trinkets for home. I usual bring anywhere from $600-$900 for spending, but that's for food, tips, incidentals not covered on the DP. Even though I fly JetBlue and get the 1 free bag pp I do consider where am I going to pack what I buy. If I understand you correctly, you are coming from Austrailia so your fees on an extra bag may not be worth going souvenier crazy. Be picky on what you buy and don't jump at the first thing. Most souvenirs are the same in all the parks so browse and then buy towards the end of your trip. Everthing looks great when youn get there, but After a few days the Mickey dinner plate you "had to have" may not seem so important or enticing.Pace yourself.....but have a great time.

Thanks for everyone's replies! It seems the amount greatly varies from those who spend under $50 to those who spend thousands! Some of you had great ideas about setting a budget for the presents for family and friends, I will definitely do that and try to limit the amount of people I buy gifts for :) I think I will give myself $500 but allow for another $500 if necessary! I know this may sound like a lot but when WDW is so far away and there are no Disney stores in Australia this will be my one chance to get some great "stuff" to last me a while. :)

I agree that is varies from family to family. Shopping (even Disney shopping) is my own personal version of torture - I hate wasting park time in the shops! We also don't like all the trinkets, etc., so our souvenier plan is pretty simple - we find one Christmas ornament for the family, everybody gets one shirt/hat, and the kids each get some money to buy whatever they want (usually around $150).

My wife and I hardly ever spend money on merchandise for ourselves. We have been to Disnsey World twice in six years and bought nothing for ourselves.

My 4yr old daughter gets one thing a day. She is very careful at what she chooses and is content the rest of the day at the park. It could be a $5.00 item or a $50.00. We try to let her have fun while she is there.

we each buy one item - usually a CD or book - for under $20. And then my boys starting Pin Trading last time we were there so they each spend maybe $30 on that. So I would say the MOST we would spend is $100.

I love WDW, but we don't buy a lot of merchandise when we visit. We have a large extended family that buys for b-days and Christmas, so we get a lot of clutter with 4 kids now. I'm not adding to it with a ton bought at WDW. I plan to buy the kids a tee shirt and 1 large toy each for our upcoming visit. Of course, they also get balloons and other small in-park items. We're spending money on other things they have asked for: ODS (T-Rex meal), ODD (Akershus meal), both (Crystal Palace meal--tradition for our first day), MNSSHP. DH usually buys nothing, and I get an ornament for the Christmas tree and a picture frame for a picture of the kids.

I love to browse in the shops (especially Epcot) but buy very little. And I like things that I will use. The Christmas ornaments in Germany are beautiful so I get one or two of those. The Mickey Head wine stoppers are cute and very reasonable if you need gifts to take home-and they won't take up much room in your suitcase. I think you have a realistic budget-and I agree with the PP who suggested doing alot of looking first-spending an evening in the shops at Downtown Disney can be alot of fun. Have a great trip! I would love to visit Australia one day! :)

We tend to spend quite a bit because my husband always buys one piece of art from the Wyland Gallery at the Poly and a watch. Kids always come home with toys and clothes.

Have a great trip!

I think the more I've gone, the less I've brought home!

This last trip, I got a small picture album and one of those hard plastic cups with the straw to take to work. I like sitting at my desk and remembering my fun trip...makes the days go by faster!

I used to get nice souvenirs for everyone in my family but this time they all got keychains...haha.

It really all boils down to what your budget is and what you like. If you're flying, you have to think about what can reasonably fit in your suitcase too.

Well, we only spend $25 or so, total. However, since you can't buy as easily from the Disney Store online, I'd budget high. Just decide- will you REALLY wear that Disney shirt more than once? Do you have to have those mickey ears? That kind of thing. Plus make sure you have room to bring it all home :D.

Ive found that each trip (no matter the length) Ive spent close to $200.00. That includes clothes for me, baby clothes for friends, a princess dress, autograph book, etc.

Thanks for everyone's replies! It seems the amount greatly varies from those who spend under $50 to those who spend thousands! Some of you had great ideas about setting a budget for the presents for family and friends, I will definitely do that and try to limit the amount of people I buy gifts for :) I think I will give myself $500 but allow for another $500 if necessary! I know this may sound like a lot but when WDW is so far away and there are no Disney stores in Australia this will be my one chance to get some great "stuff" to last me a while. :)

I think you have the right attitude. :thumbsup2 Go with a number in mind and keep some in reserve in case you need more. WDW IS far away from you, so have fun, buy yourself some neat stuff and if you happen to find trinkets for others, well, you'll have the budget to do it. Have a GREAT time! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter