How much do you remember?

I was 16 and I remember everything. It was July, it was hot, it was 1 day at the MK with my brother, his wife and their 3 kids. They got 1 stroller and either the 2 or 4 year old was crying all day. We literally did the monorail, Space Mountain, the carousel, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the railroad. My brothers wife (ex right afterwards) complained the entire day about the heat. We left mid afternoon.

My next trip was when my oldest dd was 10. It was a wonderful trip and she remembers every bit of it. We've gone every 2-3 years since. My ds9 remembers nothing - he was 6 month old and my dd7 remembers nothing - she turned one on the trip. But it doesn't matter what they did/did not remember, what matters is they had a good time while they were there.

I was 4 when I went to Disneyland; the pictures might "help" me remember, but I do remember... I remember meeting Snow White AND the Seven Dwarves at the front of the park. I was all alone with them for a VERY LONG time (my mom told me it was 30 minutes!). We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel and she thinks we got to go in early. Anyway, I remember talking to Snow White and that Grumpy (gently) punched me in the nose -- I kid you not! I also remember Goofy holding up my pigtails like he does his ears. I also remember that my mom kidded me that the Abominable Snowman was real and I kept my eyes closed during all of the Mattehorn. She still feels bad that I really believed her. :rotfl:

I was 2 or 3. I don't remeber much on my own, bits and pieces but my mom shows me pics and it seems familiar. I get flashes. I love seeing the pictures though and those are priceless. Now that my dad has passed, I love looking at all the pics throughout the years and seeing how happy my mom is. I can't wait until i have a child to take!Dh and i decided we are going to take our baby young even if he/she doesn't remeber to start making our own mwmories., plus there is always videos and pics lol.

I was 4 or 5. The one thing that always stuck with me is my dad walking into the Contemporary and finding they had a room available for our last night of the trip. I still remember looking out at MK from our room. At that point in my life, in my little mind, it was the coolest thing we had ever done. That memory led to me buying BLT sight unseen (about 35 years later!)

I was 5 for my first trip and my grandparents took me. I had an ear infection that we did not know about until the plane took off. We stayed at Contemporary. I remember riding the monorail with Pop-Pop (Nana didn't like it). I remember being terrified of the dolls in IASW and still refuse to ride it to this day. I remember my Pop taking me on Dumbo and riding the carousel. I remember hating Epcot because it was too science-y. I also remember getting an invisible dog on Main Street and picking out my first ear hat.

I really think it depends on the child. There are some things my DS8 already does not remember from our trip in December. So if your child is one of those that remembers you promised something 6 months ago, you should be golden. Heck, even if not, the memories you will have will be priceless.

How much do you remember from your very first trip to WDW and how old were you?

I worry about this a little for my 5 year old because I was six the only time I went as a child and while we have photos, I only have fleeting memories of things. I remember bits and pieces of The Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room and It's a Small World. I don't remember meeting characters, though I see photos that I did, and I have no recollection of the castle or what MK looked like in general. Granted, it was 1976, and there wasn't much of a WDW compared to what it is today, and we'll be doing a lot more to make it stuff they remember, like autographs, photos, etc.

If you went as a small child, how much do you remember from that time?

I was 10 years old, 1978. I still remember the trip. My brother was 6 and he remembers nothing. My kids are now 11 and 8 and I took them on their first trip when they were 9 an 6 and then again last month at 11 and 8. I am hoping to go at least one more time in the next 2-3 years. My stepbrothers are Disney fanatics and go mutiple times a year and have been bringing their kids since they were infants. I think thats a waste of money but its their life not mine. To me, 5 is the minimum age.

I was almost 3 in November 1982. We drove down in a RV and stayed at Fort Wilderness. There were 6 of us and my mother claims I slept in a dresser drawer since there was no room for me anywhere else, and apparently Sammy Davis Jr. had the RV before us. I don't know where my father got that information. I remember the RV and Fort Wilderness more clearly - picnicking outside for dinner, never taking off my Davy Crockett coonskin cap. In the parks I remember riding the carousel, which I guess was all I wanted to do and didn't care about anything else. It was the first and last trip my whole family took together (my siblings are much older), and while we went to WDW many times since I've never been back to Fort Wilderness or ridden the carousel again so I know these memories are from that first trip. These are my earliest memories, my next earliest are from our next trip to WDW when I was 7.

WDW is just one of those experiences that impress themselves on your brain even when you are little. That being said, even if your kids don't remember the trip when they are older, they will have an amazing time and create great memories for you.

I took my sons when the youngest was 3-1/2 years old. He does not remember the trip except for photos he has seen. However, this is one of MY favorite trips as I will never forget the wonder and excitement in his face! That was priceless!:cloud9:

It was 1979, i was four years old i I can remember my mother trying to get the perfet picture of my sister & I sitting in the flower carts that are no longer on main street. They were the best spot to take pictures. I wish there was still one around to get a picture of my kids on it:(

I was three years old for my first trip and I don't remember a thing about. My parents remember and they have pictures of me there, but I couldn't tell you one detail. That trip was more about making memories for them.

But to be fair, I barely remember the trips I took in my teen years either. One or two memories from each, but not much more.

Live for the moment, not for the memories!

I went on my first trip to the World at age five as well, and I'm 22 now and still remember a lot of the trip, although I must say I do have a rather exceptional memory! :rotfl: But I really do remember a lot from that trip. It's funny, I actually believe I remember more from then than some of the trips I took when I was a bit older! I can so clearly remember the castle, Main Street, most of the rides, our awesome new room at ASMusic (!), buying Pocahontas postcards and Mickey slip-on sneakers, and more!

I was eleven and remember most of it. On the other hand, my brother was 5 and he doesn't remember a thing! It's like he never went there.

My first trip I was 23 my second I was 24... and honestly I have a lot of disconnected memories and it was only 12 and 10.5 years ago.. most of my memories are meshed together and i can't remember which trip they are from..lol.. So I can see the worry about younger kids. My son was 4.5 and 6 and he says he remembers everything ( 16.5 now)...

I was 20 the first time I went to Disneyland. And for WDW, I was about 25. I don't remember much at all. Take lots of pictures.

I took my daughter last year for the first time she was just 3 and when I say she remembers it all she remembers it all.

to the point that when we go again this year she is mentioning rides that are now closed due to ToonTown closing.

She remembers where we stayed at all the park names so I guess it depends on your child.

i went at 3 and 1/2 and 5 and 1/2...(and 8 but i was old enough to remember most of it now) from those two trips i remember alot! i remember when the cast member wouldnt let me on thunder mountain bc i was too short ( even though i had just been on it) and i remember being freaked out in the haunted mansion- thankfully i rode with my mom so she calmed me down( had it been my father he probably would have made it worse) i remember dumbo, and mr toads wild ride-again scared me but fun!

.....mind i cant tell you what i ate for lunch yesterday though.....

...i know when i was little i remembered those trips because i always wanted to go back.....as im older now my memory is a little foggy..
...but at her age she would remember it...maybe not forever, and maybe if she goes more than once trips will get blended together, but i think it would still be worth it for her to have the memories for as long as she does

I was 5 and remember portions of the trip very clearly and others not so much. Scent and sound memories get triggered every trip, though. It's why I feel like a kid again when I go.

For reference, my first trip was in 1996.

Now, these are the kinds of threads I LOVE reading on the DIS.

I was 10 in 1988 for my first trip to WDW. There are a few memories that really stand out from the trip:

• My first attraction was the Swiss Family Treehouse followed by PotC. Pirates is still one of my faves.
    Being amazed by 20,000 Leagues
    Having to pee just as we were getting to the front of the Space Mountain line
    Wondering why my mother was making me sit on the curb 30 minutes before some silly parade (MSEP) was going to start. Loved it!
    First ride on Spaceship Earth
    Figment! Didn't like him then...don't like him now!
    The July heat! Didn't like it then...don't like it now!
    The scuba diver at The Living Seas
    My grandmother patiently babysitting my 6-month-old brother while we had fun.

Just great memories.

I think I was about 4 the first time we went....back in the early 70's. We camped at FW and that part I remember. I don't remember being inside MK but the funny thing is the first time I went as an adult I had a total dejavu experience. I could feel being there before. I had not been there since I was 4 so approx 20 or so years had passed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter