How much do you pay a tax preparer?

I would use a CPA (not H&R block etc) for your taxes if you had 1099 work - especially since it sounds like you didn't pay quarterlies etc. That means no one withheld taxes on that money... :scared1: Since H&R block gets around $120 an hour (figure that $60 fee they charge for filing and it only takes them about 1/2 an hour of work) I would think a CPA charging that much would be a deal since they can advise you on other areas too. Might as well get the most for your money.

edited to add: if you didn't pay quarterlies, you could be looking at paying penalties... you can call the IRS directly to find out if penalties would apply ;)

maybe I'll go back to Turbo Tax. I bought Tax Cut this year since I got a good deal, but if TT is better, I should probably go back to that. It worked flawlessly (or so I think) for us last year.

Do you have a costco membership?? If you do, if you order online by tomorrow, it is $15 off with free shipping - cost me $23 with tax to ship to me.

you might ask around. I know if you are low income in our area, the local library has people come in and do taxes and answer questions for free.

i used turbo tax for the first time 2 years ago after my cousin (who was a cpa and did our taxes) passed away. it was very easy and walked you through each step. i used it again last year and because of that, the program has access to the previous years return and it got the info from that to get me an additional $700 in my refund, something that i certainly would have forgotten to deduct.

so my vote is to use turbo tax if you do not have a complicated return.

Do you have a costco membership?? If you do, if you order online by tomorrow, it is $15 off with free shipping - cost me $23 with tax to ship to me.

How did you get free shipping?? I paid $5 to ship but the program was just $20. I returned the copy I'd paid $40 for at WM

edited to add: if you didn't pay quarterlies, you could be looking at paying penalties... you can call the IRS directly to find out if penalties would apply ;)

I didn't pay quarterly, but my 1099 work consisted of 1 check in December, so I'm pretty sure I'm not late on that, or at least barely, but I will call.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I really should have thought about this before.

I didn't pay quarterly, but my 1099 work consisted of 1 check in December, so I'm pretty sure I'm not late on that, or at least barely, but I will call.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I really should have thought about this before.

Did you make more than $600 for your contract work? If you make more than $600/year for contract work an employer will send you a 1099 and also report it to the IRS. If you did not make more than that, they will not and it is up to you to declare the income yourself. I believe TurboTax can handle that for you as well.

We pay $100 for ours. Just your usual with some investment income and interest income, mortgage property taxes etc.

It is through a bookkeeper friend of ours that has been doing taxes for years.

I know here in Alabama, free tax return help is offered. You might check around.

Did you make more than $600 for your contract work? If you make more than $600/year for contract work an employer will send you a 1099 and also report it to the IRS. If you did not make more than that, they will not and it is up to you to declare the income yourself. I believe TurboTax can handle that for you as well.

It was $1500 from a school district. I filled out the 1099 form for them, but haven't got anything back from them. Should I be expecting something from them (like a regular employer sends out w-2's)?

I decided to take Tax Cut back and stick with Turbo Tax. I don't want to rock the boat too much. Next year, we'll have other circumstances (new baby, daycare, new job, much higher income), so we'll probably go to an accountant to make sure everything is taken care of properly. The plus side is we'll actually be able to afford the accountant...

I've used turbo tax for years but was a little leary when we started our own side-job business. Nothing big, just to make a little extra money when needed.

When we started our self-employment business the first year I paid an accountant. I was afraid to use turbo tax and mess something up. He charged me $500 and I was ticked...especially when I found input (numerical amount) mistakes. I later found out he uses turbo tax.

The next year I contacted my grandmothers accountant and he charged much less, under $100. I told him my situation and he said I should be fine doing it myself since I used turbo tax. It was the same program he used.

It then came to me that I didn't need someone else when they were using the same program. It guides you through everything. I've been doing it for over 8 years now and even with 2 self-employment jobs, it's a breeze.

If I ever need help, a coworker use to be an auditer. He said people fear them so bad but they are much more leanient than you think. I keep receipts for everything so it doesn't matter to me. Other coworkers say they are lucky to have 1/2 of their receipts. Using quicken is also helpful. I just print out my business reports and it lists my expenses and categoriess for me.

I actually love tax time!!!

we hvae a tax attorny do our taxes. we use to use turbo tax and was only getting aboput $1500 back. our tax attorney was able to find us more deductions based on our work and travel that we do and the first year he did our taxes he got us back about $5000. he charges $450 but it is worth it to us as he is a tax attorney, is up with the tax laws and also helps with our finacial planning through out the year.

That's what I ordered. Weird. I sent an email to check about them adding the shipping. It hasn't even arrived yet.

Just to let you know as a sub contractor or self employed person you do not have to pay quarterly taxes these are an estamate based on the previous years income. You just have to pay uncle sam by the april deadline, for most people breaking up the tax payment is easier in 4 payments rather then one large one. We however pay just the one time I prefer to keep my money in the bank earning interest rather then with the government.

We pay $70 a year for having our taxes done. We have used the same lady since 1993 and only pay $10 more now than when we first started using her.

We are low income also with NO assistance and our taxes are very simple.
One W-2, and thats it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter