how much do you leave maid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI: On my last Disney visit I noticed in the resort paper that for environmental reasons sheets are changed every four days unless otherwise requested. How often do you change your sheets at home?

These people work very hard for minimum pay under a great deal of pressure and time constraints.

It seems to me that if you can afford to vacation at WDW, you can afford to be charitable to the folks cleaning up so that you don't have to. Come on, what's a couple of dollars a day for someone probably less prosperous than you?

:flower: We tip around 5.00 a day. I tip because I want the person cleaning my room to know I appreciate the job they do. :sunny:

hi, I did tip about half the time on our last trip. anyhow the room was cleaned ok, so I really didn't tip for that, I wanted those little towel animals for my girls to see. we are clean, actually we spent very little time in the room we pretty much needed fresh towels and a wipe down everyday like i'd do at home, I never really found the room to be vacumned very well even our first day before we did anything. so anyhow I leave two days tip $3 per day for three people no animals lol. so the third day I wrote her a little note asking if she did them she did them for three days then stopped again, I wish I hadn't had to ask for them but I was afraid my kids would never get to see them, then she shouldn't have stopped either, cuz her service was just ok to me, and that made me want to leave the tips so for the last day I didn't leave her one. anyhow I left the money in the little card that says so and so cleaned your room today. I wish she would have done better, I would have left up to $5 had the service been excellent, now to say this I've never tipped at a hotel before though, and probably wouldn't except in disney or for excellent service, average hotel room cleaning wouldn't get a tip normally.
Becky, Paige and Hailey

Debby7 said:
These people work very hard for minimum pay under a great deal of pressure and time constraints.
Couldn't most people say they are under paid and deal with a great deal of pressure and time constraints with their job? I know I could. Before I get sandblasted, I know the mousekeepers work hard and I appreciate it. The mousekeepers may think their job in unimportant, but look at the number of posts on the dis boards about clean rooms. Their job affects thousands everyday. No matter how small, every job is important.

MamaQuack said:
Many are here working hard in a profession that was not their first choice. Many do not have other options.

This is America, the land of the free...and opportunity. There is always a choice. A choice to tip or not tip, a choice for your profession to be in housekeeping, a choice to go to disney and stay offsite :eek:. There is always a choice, rather you like the choices available or not is a different topic.

Thanks EthansMom!

If I do tip, it will be to 'spread some pixie dust', as a previous poster put it :flower:
I understand that in the US waiters are paid based on the presumption that they will get enough tips to make up for it, yet over in the UK the waiters get paid similar to what I got paid when I worked part-time in a supermarket, yet we still tip anyway.
Of course, in the US I am more likely to tip anyway - in the UK it depends how they serve me (seeing as they don't need the tips in the same way!).

I think we'll tip $1 per person (that's $2 a day) - $32 for the whole trip.
I don't think I could afford something like $5 a day - $80 for the trip! - as I'm barely taking enough money to be able to feed ourselves (me and bf are students)!

VSL said:
I understand that in the US waiters are paid based on the presumption that they will get enough tips to make up for it, yet over in the UK the waiters get paid similar to what I got paid when I worked part-time in a supermarket, yet we still tip anyway.
Of course, in the US I am more likely to tip anyway - in the UK it depends how they serve me (seeing as they don't need the tips in the same way!).

I really think that half the reason we all tip so much over here is that most of the middle class--those that eat frequently in restaurants, drink expensive coffees and go to Disney frequently--started out in very low wage jobs and we all remenber how special that extra fiver was, and how appreciated at the end of the day.

I think the other reason USers tip so much is that we're afraid people will spin in our food if we don't. :umbrella:

I haven't seen mentioned here, do they wash the bathtubs daily?

We usually leave our tip under the card that's in the room about Mousekeeping. We place it on the counter or the top of the TV.

I was also unaware of tipping maids til recently. I forget some days, but normally we try to. It just makes me feel good.

I'm along with the other people who have never even heard of tipping housekeeping at a hotel. I'm not against tipping at all, but after years of traveling and staying in tons of very nice and some not so nice hotels I have never ever heard of anyone doing that. I suppose I just didn't think of it because the people who I generally tip are people who's income mostly comes from tips. Waiters,women in the nail salon, etc. Is this a Disney specific thing?

OK just to throw my 2 cents in... Even prior to Disney property my parents have thought me to tip for hotel services and that includes housekeeping. I am no spring chicken anymore so I thought that tipping has been around for awhile. My family only started being on the other side of the counter recently when my father retired as an "office typa guy" and my mom retired as a "desk typa woman". Maybe a good decade now that we own a pastry shop and learn the joy of the kids when they get tipped after serving coffee or pastry. But even prior to this we have been practicing that as long as your hapy you endjoyed what you eat you enjoyed where you sleep on and you dont have to pick up the dirty plates we tip. We have been going to Disney property since late 70's from Asia to Florida but only recently we learned about the animal towels. Well it was just an added incentive for us to tip them and tell them how they made our stay more unique than the last time. Tip wise we leave them on a thank you card that sometimes the kids in our family write. This way it also teaches them to write and also appreciate the stuff that they have and teaches them the art of sharing. restaurant tipping.. that's another segment in my case :rotfl:

My mom worked in many service type jobs. She started out cleaning houses for other people, was a waitress for a long while and after she retired she was a maid in Cape May, NJ. As a result of all of her service jobs, we were taught to tip well for good service and to tip poorly for bad service. I am not saying that it is good or bad thing, I am saying it was the way I was raised. My mom had few choices of where she could work. She did not have a high school degree and had few skills. Her pay put food on the table and clothes on our backs. Her tips went for extras like going to the movies, a special clothes item or going out for ice cream. A few times those extra few dollars meant the difference between meeting the mortgage or not.

While I was growing up my mom preached that we needed to go to college or get trained in a valued skill so we could have a choice of where we worked so we would not have to rely on the generosity of others to put food on the table. All three of her children took her advice and we all make a decent living.

I tip in all hotels, including those in WDW. If I do not get good service, I don't tip. If I get great service I tip higher. It's who I am and the way I was raised. I normally tip $2 or $3 per night (there's only two of us) and more if we left the room especially dirty or if I got some really cool animals. Last trip at WL after leaving a tip of $5 the maid stopped my husband in the hallway and thanked him. With as much money as I spend at WDW those few extra dollars seem insignificant, but obviously made a difference to a working person. Just my 2 cents worth.
Penny

Every survey I've ever seen related to tipping housekeepers shows that most folks DON"T.

I tip $3 or $4 per day.

Meezers I sent you a PM :)

I had never heard of tipping housekeeping until I came to the DIS. It had just never crossed my mind. So this last trip I tipped $3/day. It was just my hubby and I and we are pretty clean. I stacked our siutcases and put them out of the way, wiped around the counter, and made a pile of our dirty towels. There wasn't a whole lot to do :) But after chatting to a few Mousekeepers, I found they were precious and worked really hard. What is it going to hurt me to tip a few bucks??

:) :) :)

We are a family of 5,I make sure dirty towels are all in the tub pull up the blankets on the bed tie up all trash in bags and leave 5.00 a day for the maid.

Bob NC said:
Every survey I've ever seen related to tipping housekeepers shows that most folks DON"T.

I tip $3 or $4 per day.

The angry beaver is holding the railings in the Wilderness Lodge elevator!!!!

$6-10 per day when we are in a 2-room suite (3 persons). :flower:

tinksgirl~LOL...we too, do everything but run the vacuum and wash windows! We clean everything, tie all the trash in the cans for easy removal (using the clear plastic bags in the cans), and ALWAYS make the beds each morning (force of habit). :confused3 We enjoy keeping the room tidy and neat, and I sure the mousekeepers enjoy it too! :goodvibes

chaoscent~Penny, God Bless your mom for having such a strong work ethic. She has taught you many invaluable lessons in life (w/regards to the service industry). :cloud9: She followed through with her heart's desire, wanting more for her children (and for all of you to exceed her station in life). I agree with you about the "few extra dollars" (when it comes to tipping). My DF always instilled in my his philosophy when it came to tipping in the service industry. If you do NOT have the "extra" money to give to these persons, do not travel or utilize such services. Plain and simple. I frequent a full-service hand car wash facility, where the workers are mainly Mexican migrants on a work permit in this country. They rely upon tips to make ends meet. The work is all manual labor, providing a convenient service. My DF enjoyed this service while visiting the last time they drove to visit. Again, he tipped well after his car was finished, and reminded me "if you do not have the $$ to spare, do not stop-in for service." Words of wisdom. ;)

*As a side note, I was stunned to learn many things about Florida's wage & minimum wage system. Unlike California, restaurants are able to get-away with paying their wait staff LESS than the standard minimum wage (Waiter at the Olive Garden in Orlando was making $2.30 per hour!), because they justify the DIFFERENCE in TIPS?!?! Also, the state minimum wage is lower than here in California ( http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm) @ $6.15 vs. $6.75-10.50* (in *Santa Monica Coastal businesses...even housekeepers at Coastal resorts begin @ $10.50 per hour).
Also, our "Premium Pay After Designated Hours" is starkly different from Florida and most other states. We are due for another cost of living increase in minimum wages in this state very soon.

:wave2: DF99

Meezers said:
I guess the whole thing is....service at Disney is going downhill. Now granted...they set the bar for themselves....and they set it very high.

Now we expect them to meet the standards they set for themselves and for whatever reason...cutbacks...lack of a Disney on the board...whatever....they don't seem to able to maintain the standards they set.

I have changed my expectations at Disney...sad but then I don't wind up disappointed....

My thoughts is not to "blame" the mousekeeper, but to go higher up - I believe the bottom line is for the "stockholders" Wall Street, in order to make the bottom line look better, cost cutting measures are in order (and we do like all those codes and deals we get!!) so housekeepers are asked to clean more rooms, and then they miss on days they have a larger 'quota' imho... I like saving energy, thus not washing towels and sheets everyday is ok by me, I do get a little choked up thinking of the consequences of some 'mishaps etc' on thse bedspreads, but you know... life happens!! :rotfl:

I'm just wondering if we put up with it, it will continue, if we write and suggest the load of mousekeepers seems high, because the quality of the mousekeepers is superb... or something???

hmm - this is a tough subject and to tip or not to tip is everyone's own opinion. I see lots of reasons to tip but I see lots of reasons not to.

We just got back from the Poly concierge and paid a pretty penny to stay there. My initial thoughts would be - why should I have to shell out even more money for a clean room, isn't that what you are paying for to begin with?? No one would stay in a room that wasn't cleaned in any hotel and like another person posted, the are not paid like waiters/hairdressers etc... working for tips. I have stayed in many hotels for 1 night on business or deluxe resorts for multiple days and have not tipped - never even thought I should nor have I ever heard you are supposed to from anyone that I know. Now here at this board I hear about people tipping so maybe I will too - that will be nice.

Well on arrival, our room was not so clean. There was mildew in the shower, sand on the floor, stains on the sheets and dried toothpaste in the corner of the sink. Now - honestly I wasn't looking for bad things and I normally never complain about trivial things but I am paying $400 a night for a room and I think walking in sandy carpet is not right. None the less, I tipped $5 the next day before we left. We came back and the money gone and the room seemed pretty clean. That night after dinner our turndown service was nice with dd's characters on the bed, chocolates, new towels. lights turned on, trash changed again and looked nice and clean all over again. I tipped $5 the next day. Well after that service went down hill. To the point I was thinking our towels were being refolded. I even put a little lipstick mark in the corner of one I left on the counter - it wasn't dirty or wrinkled. Well, sure enough, it was back on the rack again that night. Along with turn down service with just the bed spread turned down - but it was turned down overtop of the concierge robe!! I left it on the bed as we were in a rush and did not hang it up. It was wrinkled inside the turndown bedspread!! No chocolates, no dirty towels taken, nothing for turn down service the rest of the time. So did I tip from here on to the end of the trip - No way. I honestly think they though I would pay $5 a day from here on out and took advantage of it. I will not tip again unless something really nice was done and I will found out who did it and tip them directly - not just leave money there for someone else to get it.

Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter