How much do you gain in WDW?

Misti

DIS Veteran
For those of you who pretty much eat what you want in WDW (snacking, big meals, desserts), how much do you typically gain during a week long trip? I exercise a lot already so the extra walking that takes place in WDW probably won't do a lot to counter the extra eating I'll be doing. Part of the fun in WDW is eating good food so I want to enjoy myself. Just don't want to gain a ton while I'm there!

I would say I usually lose weight at WDW, or at the very worst, come back the same as I left. I workout regularly, but I don't walk nearly the same amount at home as I do at WDW for a week.

I don't normally gain either as, like you, I work out regularly including while I'm at WDW. I may not work out quite as much or as long, but I make sure to toss in at least a couple of runs in addition to all the walking. I'm not much of one to eat lunch, so I'm satisfied with a light breakfast, a small snack during the day, then I can pretty much do what I want for dinner which comes in handy with places like Le Cellier and Artist Point on the ADR list. paw:

I usually break even or gain about a lb. I walk so much there that despite the extra food (and I eat a lot of extra food) I don't gain a lot.
Good luck!

Even on the dining plan, eating WAY more than I normally would, I stayed the same weight. I am pretty active in day to day life as well.

On our last trip which included free dining I didn't gain an ounce. I workout regularly too and think this helped with my metabolism greatly. I think with all the walking in WDW, it would be really hard to gain a lot of weight unless you didn't do parks at least 75% of the time. BTW, we ate and ate and ate and ate!!

I hope I have the same good fortune as those of you that have just posted! I'm honestly not a big breakfast/lunch person but I LOVE to snack in WDW... dangerous stuff when I pass the Kringla bakery in Norway! ;) And I usually have to stop at least once a day at Beaches and Cream for ice cream! I've been to WDW many times but this will be the first visit since I've been making an effort to weigh myself everyday. So, it will be interesting...

At home, I eat a very healthy diet and work out often. At WDW, I eat a lot more food and eat whatever I want (although I don't go completely nuts - I find that it makes me feel sluggish when I do) and I have never gained any weight. Usually I stay the same, although a couple of trips I have lost a few pounds.

We don't gain a thing b/c we walk all of it off. He even loses weight!! I don't know about next time though. We have so many restraunts we want to try and its also our wedding so mouskeeping may have to grease the door for us and push us through! :lmao:

I eat fairly healthy at home and exercise for about 30-40 minutes on the elliptical or recumbent bike, 5-6 times per week. At WDW, I still do the exercise most mornings (we're DVC so we always have a gym at our disposal) and even with the TONS of walking we do (we always have a car, but we mostly self-park, don't use trams at the parks, walk to MGM and Epcot if staying at BWV or BCV, etc.), I ALWAYS gain in WDW. We just got back from 9 days and we ate a lot lighter than usual. Very few appetizers, shared a dessert most nights, very little snacking and several days only ate breakfast and dinner. I ordered what I wanted though -- had a lot more red meat than usual and cleaned my plate at most meals. I gained 2.5 lbs. I know it will come off quick (and I gave myself two days before I checked the scale -- it probably looked a lot worse on Saturday!).

The key for me is to have a plan to get "back on track" when we get home, before we leave. I always leave clean gym close out before I go and make sure there are healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners in the cabinet / freezer so I'm not tempted to order take-out junk food.

I'm with my posters here, generally I stay the same. I definitely eat more--and more dessert. I don't go comletely crzy though. Tons of sugar makes me cranky, tired--a real vacation buster. I guess my body manages to balance the extra food with the extra walking/activity because I usually come back the same weight as I left.

We just got back last month and as most have said we also lost weight. I lost 5 pounds and DW lost 4. But we were averaging walking a little over 8 miles a day. The worst or most miles walked was our first day at Epcot when we logged 13.289 miles.

Like you, I diet and exercise at home. I run every day and walk about 5 per week also. And I ab crunch 6 days. So basically, walking a few miles at a leisurely pace around the parks doesnt do much for me. Plus I eat and drink everything and anything I want. I could never go on vacation and deprive myself. ;) The bad news is I usually gain about 1 pound per day of each trip....but its worth it. :thumbsup2

On my most recent trip in December, we stayed for 11 days and ate a TON.

I came back weighing the exact same though! :teeth:

Last Febuary when I went I was on Low Carb before we went and I lost about 11 pounds. We were thre for about 9 days I expected to gain all my weight back b/c I was going to eat what I wanted, but surprisingly I only gained back 3 pounds and boy, did I eat and eat!...I guess its all that walking... :yay:

I lost five pounds on the dining plan. Way more food than I eat at home but walked my feet off.

CamColt said:
Like you, I diet and exercise at home. I run every day and walk about 5 per week also. And I ab crunch 6 days. So basically, walking a few miles at a leisurely pace around the parks doesnt do much for me. Plus I eat and drink everything and anything I want. I could never go on vacation and deprive myself. ;) The bad news is I usually gain about 1 pound per day of each trip....but its worth it. :thumbsup2

That sounds just like me, minus the ab crunch. ;) I really do an insane amount of cardio everyday. I'm still betting I'm probably going to gain because I plan on eating what I want. Plus, we've been to the parks a lot so I'm thinking we are going to spend more time at the pool this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter