• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much do people get paid to be on People's Court or Judge Judy?

kpgclark

<font color=339900>There's nothing hum drum about
Does anyone know how much people get paid to appear on shows such as People's Court or Judge Judy? I'm not going on or anything. I'm just curious.

Judge Judy used to be a sitting judge but she isn't any more. When they say those are real cases, they mean they go through a real small claims court docket, looking for cases. Then the folks on either side agree to withdraw their civil complaints in exchange for being on a TV show. But they can't appeal, because it's not a real courtroom, and she's not acting as a real judge. Same goes for Judge Joe Brown. It's a mock trial, a moot court, for entertainment purposes only.

It is more a legal arbitration. To the best of my knowledge, private arbitration is a binding action in lieu of using civil courts. I'm not entirely sure what the pros and cons are other than ability to enforce actions.

The main thing for Judge Judy et al is that both parties are paid for their appearance and any settlement is taken out of the loser's payment and added to the winners. They sign a binding arbitration agreement which is quite common in civil cases. The TV judge is acting as the arbitrator and, like any arbitration proceeding, the decision is final and cannot be appealed.

The way it works is that there is a set fund for each case. The amount awarded to the wining party is taken out of that fund (I believe if the award is more than the fund then they just get the amount in the fund). Any amount left over is split evenly between the two people. The losing person may leave with nothing, but they don't leave owing anything. It actually has advantages for both parties. If you lose you aren't out anything, if you win you are guaranteed some money...you aren't left to try to collect from the loser.

From what I understand by a person who was on one of these shows, the staff checks out filings in petty claims court on a regular basis. If it looks like something that could be bizarre, off-beat, or involving nutsy-cuckoos, both parties are approached about being on the show. There is (or was) a $5000 cash award for each case. If the parties agree to appear, the judgement comes out of this cash award and the remainder is split between the two.

My sister-Inlaw was contacted by Texas Justice and the letter said it will pay for her to go down there and her hotel and food and if she lost pay her settlemant. It didn't mention any extra money.

Personally I couldnt go on Judge Judy for ANY amount of money.. She is mean.. :earboy2:

Didn't RobinRS have some sort of case that was supposed to go in front of one of those Judges? I think it was something about an apt or condo....or I could have her confused with some one else...

My daughter had filed a suit against her neighbor who refused to pay medical expenses after his dog mauled her cat. At first he agreed to, then reneged. She was so surprised when People's Court contacted her to be on the show. She was very willing to go, but unfortunetly her neighbor declined. She did win her case though in court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter