• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Much Difference In The Shelf Price vs. The Scanned Price Before You Dispute With The Cashier?

Would those that would notice and say something bring up if you were undercharged?

I always say something if I'm over-charged. Our store also gives it to you free if it rings up over the advertised or selling price. If you have more than one then you get the others at the lower price. I've done it many times. I always watch when they're ringing in the items.

As for would I say something if it rang in at a lower price...yes. Even if it's the wrong type of vegetable I say something. I wouldn't feel comfortable not saying anything about even a lower price. That's just me.

Would those that would notice and say something bring up if you were undercharged?

Last week I got a double shipment from Target - a $30 item that they sent me twice but only charged me for once. I called to ask what to do and they said don't worry about it. I'm sure for companies their size, it's not worth the effort to recoup a $30 loss.

I shop based on price so if there's a discrepancy I'm going to point it out. As a PP mentioned it can add up fast.
Yes, always. I'm the person who went into Target and insisted on paying for the TV I ordered online for pick up that they never charged me for. I've gotten everything loaded in my truck and while looking at the receipt realized they didn't charge me for something and gone back in and paid for it. Its just how I am.

I sent DH to buy a Starbucks MK mug yesterday while I was getting treats for the kids and when I looked at it last night the sticker on the bottom said $14.95 but he was charged $16.99 (+ tax of course!)
It's annoying, but I won't bother getting it corrected , if it was $10-20 maybe but a couple of dollars I'll put down to a life lesson.....teach hubby to look before he pays!! Lol

Last week I got a double shipment from Target - a $30 item that they sent me twice but only charged me for once. I called to ask what to do and they said don't worry about it. I'm sure for companies their size, it's not worth the effort to recoup a $30 loss.
I had the same thing happen at Christmas. My item was right about $30 too. They told me to just keep the second.

I sent DH to buy a Starbucks MK mug yesterday while I was getting treats for the kids and when I looked at it last night the sticker on the bottom said $14.95 but he was charged $16.99 (+ tax of course!)
It's annoying, but I won't bother getting it corrected , if it was $10-20 maybe but a couple of dollars I'll put down to a life lesson.....teach hubby to look before he pays!! Lol
Well I was planning on getting the collection in September so I hope they aren't raising the price on them and that's why it was rung up as higher than the sticker!

In our grocery store if an item rings up for more than it is you get it for free.

That is how it works here too. There is a limit ( I believe 10 dollars) where you get the item free if the scanned price is higher than the advertised price. So in my case I will check and call them on it for any price that is more than advertised.
I won't hold up the line, just head to customer service and take care of it there.

Actually, I have never had something ring up for just pennies different, usually a reg. price instead of a sale. And, yes, I watch closely as it happens 'very' often.

One item is free (in case of multiples) -happened just yest. on coffee ($7.50) so yes, it really makes a difference to check your receipts. Dh is constantly amazed at how much we (and others) would lose by not checking our receipts.

I've never had anyone get upset about it - usually I just go through with the transaction, then go to service desk - much less hassle that way.

For pp that mentioned Walmart is the worst - not so here - they immediately make it right here - 'no' hassles, so can't lump them all in one boat!

The smaller stores are the worst at admitting they are wrong, so unfortunately for them, they don't get much of my business - very poor customer service in general.

Actually, I have never had something ring up for just pennies different, usually a reg. price instead of a sale. And, yes, I watch closely as it happens 'very' often.

One item is free (in case of multiples) -happened just yest. on coffee ($7.50) so yes, it really makes a difference to check your receipts. Dh is constantly amazed at how much we (and others) would lose by not checking our receipts.

I've never had anyone get upset about it - usually I just go through with the transaction, then go to service desk - much less hassle that way.

For pp that mentioned Walmart is the worst - not so here - they immediately make it right here - 'no' hassles, so can't lump them all in one boat!

The smaller stores are the worst at admitting they are wrong, so unfortunately for them, they don't get much of my business - very poor customer service in general.
We have so many Walmarts around that a lot has to do with location. You learn which ones are just better in general. The only ones where I've had issues at as far as being rude about difference in price are the ones I would say just suck in general..attitude of employees, clientele of the store location, cleanliness of the store, how well they are stocked,etc.

ETA: And for me it's not just 1 location there are multiple. I'm not lumping them all together at all but that is the place I've had the most issues. Costco and Aldi haven't had any issues for me and aside from Walmart that's where I do most of my grocery shopping.

Last edited:
I had a huge problem recently at my local Dollar Store. I bought 7 items and cashier told me $9 plus tax. I pointed out that there were two items charged for that I never bought (they were listed on the receipt!) Cashier couldn't figure out why and called manager who assured me all was correct. I had to individually show her the SEVEN items in my bag, and the NINE items on the receipt, all the while getting nasty looks and loud sighs from the folks in line behind me. I'm not shopping there again!

I would dispute it if I noticed it. I wouldn't get angry about it, but I would prefer to not pay more than I should.

I had a huge problem recently at my local Dollar Store. I bought 7 items and cashier told me $9 plus tax. I pointed out that there were two items charged for that I never bought (they were listed on the receipt!) Cashier couldn't figure out why and called manager who assured me all was correct. I had to individually show her the SEVEN items in my bag, and the NINE items on the receipt, all the while getting nasty looks and loud sighs from the folks in line behind me. I'm not shopping there again!

Geeze. I wouldn't shop there again either.

Any difference.... when I shop I'm usually looking for the best price for the best value so I may have only got that brand item for the price it was marked. If it rings up cheaper, I will mention something about not knowing it was on sale, etc...usually the checker doesn't care to investigate. :p

Oh heck ya, I'm mentioning it. In fact I purposefully don't do mega shopping trips so I know how much everything is in my cart. And I'm watching the register to make sure it comes up right too. I think it's a rip off when they have the advertised price lower than what the registers ring up. Nope I'm getting the sale price I came in for.

And also like others have mentioned I hope I'm helping future shoppers get the right price whether they pay attention or not. So you're welcome:D

Um...any time it's more than it is supposed to be. I have a great memory for prices and add up my basket total in my head as I shop...I have no patience for that kind of thing--so much so that I've been known to go and remove the price sticker from the shelf and bring it back with me to prove my point (which..yes...means extra work to replace it on the shelf--but my time was being wasted first).

I tend to watch items that are on sale or a Manager's special. Those tend to be the items that ring up at the usual price rather than the sale price. I got 3 bags of frozen veggies for free because they we different varieties that all rang up at regular price, not the sale price. As they were different sku numbers I got each one free. Our Law here is the wrong first sku item is free up to $10, same subsequent skus are the sale price corrected. Got a free bag of bakery cookies DD loved that they rang up the regular price. I only let her get them as the had been marked down 50%.

How can anyone possibly know they're being over or undercharged on an item? Unless it's a "special", do all of you know the prices of every single item you buy?

I would say something There was an article a few years ago on a store that rang up quite a few items just a few cents more than the posted price and how much they net in a weeks time from the wrong price. Those few pennies profit for a busy store adds up. On the reverse, I hate when my total is .99 and I hand them a dollar and they don't hand me my penny. I don't really "need" that penny but it's the principle of the thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter