How much did your braces cost?

For some of your parents who have their children fitted for braces, is it out of necessity or do you do it because you want you child/ren to have straighter teeth, prettier smile and things like that:confused3. I asked because I was one that DID not require braces and so far my 1 DD will need braces.

The space that she has was a result of a birth defect that resulted from one type of medication that I was on while pregnant with her. It is not too bad but I think she would feel more comfortable getting it taken care of when she gets older. My sister said that she really didn't need them and that I was being little miss perfect when it came to her :teeth: I'm actually waiting to see how things go when her permanents come in then we will decide at that time:headache:

I would check around. In our town there was a difference of $1000. Both had excellent references from friends. We went the less expensive DR and have been pleased. The price difference was because one DR said between 12 and 14 months and the other said braces for 12 months. Since they only see you once every 6 to 8 weeks, we didn't think 1 more visit was worth $1000. (Our son needed very little work.)

18 years ago (1993), it was $2500 and I had them for over 3 years, plus headgear (fortunately, only had to be worn at night).

As an adult, I paid over $6000 for braces, and over $2000 for extraction surgery that was necessary before I could start treatment. This was a 8 years ago, so I am sure the price is way higher now.

I had parents who refused to fix my teeth as a kid, and as an adult, I was basically unemployable in any professional job because of it (no interviewer wants to see ugly crooked unsightly teeth on a candidate, believe me). To get a good job, you need a nice smile. Wish my parents understood that.

rates around here are anywhere from 4500 - 6500 i am going to pay 2500oop insurance pays 2000 - i get it capped at 4500 for using a dr. on the plan...

My dd12's braces are for overcrowding. Hers cost $5750, and our insurance paid $1000. I put $1000 down when they put them in and I'm paying the rest in monthly payments (from my FSA). Hers is a simply case and she just has to wear them for 20 months.

She's had them since January and her top teeth already have straightened out and no more "fangs". Her bottom teeth still have one crooked tooth, but the rest look good.

All of the girls in the Jr. High are excited to get to pick different colors for their bands every 6 weeks. My dd got her school colors when she was cheerleading, now she has summer colors...lol. I'm not sure if the boys do that.

HTH. :)

My oldest DD will start in June with an expander, then braces for 24 months. The cost is $5500. Insurance covers nothing, but they give a discount if you pay in full and also have no interest plans. We consulted with three drs before deciding to go with this one. They all had different opinions on treatment. The dr we chose wanted to wait when we went initially because DD had more growing to do, and he didn't want her to be in braces longer than necessary (or have to go back in them). He spoke of her bone structure, etc. The others wanted to start right away and one even wanted to extract a tooth. The prices were within a few hundred dollars of each other. Most people in our area go to the closest ortho, but I was glad I decided to shop around. I feel very comfortable about her situation.

DD almost 12 just started wearing an appliance to move her lower jaw forward. She'll have to wear that for 12 months. Then, regular top/bottom braces for another 12 months.
$5200. Insurance will pay up to $2000. We did $1000 and $200 for the next 22 months or so.

I had parents who refused to fix my teeth as a kid, and as an adult, I was basically unemployable in any professional job because of it (no interviewer wants to see ugly crooked unsightly teeth on a candidate, believe me). To get a good job, you need a nice smile. Wish my parents understood that.

That is so true-the first things people notice are your teeth when you are talking and basically most are considered "low class" when they have missing or crooked teeth- may or not be correct but that is how they appear. I would not make my child go through life with crooked teeth-my insurance covers 1997.48 of them (yes very odd number!) and they cost 6500.00. Sure I would have preferred taking 2 nice vacations over putting braces on my kids teeth but that is a small price to pay!

DD had them five years ago - $5500 for 24 months. No insurance.

DS has a consult appt next week. Needs a bit more work so I'm probably looking at over $6000. We do have insurance this time for $1000. I am hoping that is for each year :goodvibes

DD $3200 ($1200 covered by insurance) in 2004
DS $5300/2 phase/2 Orthos when we weren't getting anywhere with 1st guy
same $1200 insurance work started in 2007, DS just got the top braces off last Thurs..bottoms on for another month or 2 with a stubborn molar.

Dd went to see an orthodontist yesterday. She was stunned by how perfect her alignment is. The only issue is an small 3mm open bite. They suggested braces, top and bottom to pull lower jaw out, upper teeth in....about 16 months. They gave us a price though for 18-24 months... of $4200(the basic braces with the rubber bands) Just trying to get a feel for what most people are paying as I have no clue. thanks

$5500.00 for upper and lower for 3 years, then an expander with an additional 2 years of monitoring, WHICH just ended with the last look yesterday! Basically six years of care, worth every penny plus the 2 grand for the oral surgery that was needed. Insurance only covered 1500.

Course now we need wisdom teeth surgery, great... and it has to be done in the hospital :(

I would check around. In our town there was a difference of $1000. Both had excellent references from friends. We went the less expensive DR and have been pleased. The price difference was because one DR said between 12 and 14 months and the other said braces for 12 months. Since they only see you once every 6 to 8 weeks, we didn't think 1 more visit was worth $1000. (Our son needed very little work.)

I never answered the question. $4400, but after insurance, about $1500.

And to answer another question. We did it for cosmetic reasons. We wanted our kids to have straight teeth.

DD had them five years ago - $5500 for 24 months. No insurance.

DS has a consult appt next week. Needs a bit more work so I'm probably looking at over $6000. We do have insurance this time for $1000. I am hoping that is for each year :goodvibes

That would be nice if it was for each year. We have 2 different dental insurances (I have a plan and so does my husband.) Each plan pays a 1 time fee.

And to answer another question. We did it for cosmetic reasons. We wanted our kids to have straight teeth.

We also got them for our daughter for cosmetic reasons. She *had* a gap between her 2 front teeth that was quite large. It was amazing seeing the gaps close so quickly those first couple of days the braces were on!

My DD10 just went for an evaluation. $5,500 was the estimate for a palate expander (about 5 months), then 18-24 months of upper & lower braces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter