How much Christmas can we squeeze into 3 days? Nov/Dec 2015 TR *NEW TR Link 5/18!*

Ugh, I know that struggle of seeing people you hardly ever see on a Disney trip, but having to accommodate them in your plans. Especially when you have such limited time!! I hope it all worked out for dinner, but I guess we'll see.

You know, I think this was the same day we had planned to go to DS and meet Santa, but now I'm so glad we didn't! Although it's not too bad with a pager, we didn't really have much else we wanted to do there, so it would have been a huge time suck. We probably would have driven down there only to turn around and go back because 2 hours for Santa is a bit ridiculous. I'm glad it worked out for y'all though since you were there to hang out anyway! Luckily I ended up checking the app and seeing he was available in MK and we met him with a super short wait! For some reason I thought he wasn't there until closer to Christmas.

Having a place for them to run before a flight is a lifesaver! We're flying out of a different airport in May (BWI) and I made sure there was a kids play area there too!
Good to know. We're about an hour sans traffic from BWI so we don't go out of there very often, but good to know a playground awaits when we do

Jake entertained himself by playing with a sticker we had gotten from a TSA officer at security in Pittsburgh. He ripped it and then placed the pieces of different parts of his body. Who needs attractions and shows when you have stickers??
This totally sounds like something my daughter would do. If only we could predict what random things would occupy them so we could leverage it accordingly ; )

I remember seeing hula hoops out here as well. It's really nice having a little area for kids to play while parents have a minute to get everything together!
This is great. I'd forgotten they had these at Pop and AoA, but I don't recall seeing them elsewhere. Definitely something they should have at all the resorts.

But...we saw this tree in the lobby and Nate was slightly obsessed with Christmas trees this year. So we just had to snap this picture where no one is looking at the camera. Which is how most pictures turn out for us.
Us too and we only have one to try and get to look at the camera

We were in the 60s section and a preferred pool view room. I had originally booked a preferred room but I got a PIN code in the mail for a 15% discount. It was only available for preferred pool view room (of course) but it still saved us $50 on each room for the trip!
Score on the discount. How as the noise by the pool? We had a pool view at Poly last summer and I was surprised how much noise there was, especially at night.

Why, yes it is! And at that moment, Colin took off like a wild man for the giant can of Play Doh. Can you guess what was on his mind? Doesn't it just look like the perfect thing for a 3 year old to climb and play on? Luckily, Jim caught him just as he reached his target. We pointed out the no climbing sign and promised him time to go wild at the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground the next day.
3 year old, it looks like the perfect thing my husband would try and climb on ; ) Love all the over the top decorations they have here, but Im sure its rough on the kids to tell them not to climb on play doh of all things

On the way to the airport. She wanted to meet us at Disney Springs to hang out and have dinner. Which would have been ok, except we had an ADR at TRex Cafe that night. I tried to explain to Jim that it might be hard to adjust the number on our reservation but he insisted it wouldn't be a big deal. His family plans absolutely nothing so this last minute addition was no big deal to him, but for me...
Hope you were able to work it out for dinner. My hubbys family can be the same way sometimes and its exhausting when folks just don't think about the details

Our first stop was to check in for a meeting with a very important guy. :santa: I was interested to see how the Santa situation worked out here with the pager. I walked up to check in and the wait was a solid 120 minutes!
2 hours!!!!! That is insane. The pagers are a great idea, but still 2 hours is crazy

Nate is a HUGE Lego fan. Fanatic. We have a ridiculous amount of Legos in this house. But I laid down the rules for the trip - no new sets! Nate and Colin could do the build your own minifigure deal (3 minifigures for $9.99) but that was it!
My daughter built these for the first time on her last trip and loved it. So much fun

Wait there is a play area at BWI? How did I miss this, I only fly out of there with the minions 3 to 5 times a year. I must remember to keep an eye out for that next time we fly, which is in 3 days to Disney.

Ugh. In laws. Ugh. DHS that don't think in law flaws are a big deal. Lol. Hope it wasn't an issue at TRex.

I'm face-palming so hard for you right now. :sad2:

Ugh! Just reading this is tickling at the edges of my anxiety on your behalf! I'm eager to find out how it works out...

It was sooooo hard to bite my tongue! No, we can't add you and your husband and your cousin and your best friend's neighbor and his dog to the reservation the very day of!! No! But smiles...because it's Disney! :bitelip:

120 MINUTES FOR SANTA CLAUS?!?!? He better give giftboxes filled with $20s!!! :eek:

OH! Well, that's not so bad then!! :thumbsup2

It was a really great system - like Dumbo at MK. Play until your pager goes off! This time, the playing just involved shopping. Even better!

Guuuurl, I see dat kyoot Dooney bag! :cutie:

I still smile when I think about this bag. :goodvibes But I think you acquired a fun new Dooney to, right? :thumbsup2

You nut!! :rotfl:

I live on the wild side at Disney! :cool2:

Following along, looks like a great start. We were there the weekend before Thanksgiving, but didn't have time for Disney Springs. I had read online about the Santa pager deal and I hated that we didn't get to see Santa on our trip. Your boys are so cute! Can't wait to read more about your trip.

Thanks for following along! :goodvibes

The wait was a little crazy but the pager system was amazing and we really didn't wait in line for more than 5-10 minutes. It was great!!

Ugh, I know that struggle of seeing people you hardly ever see on a Disney trip, but having to accommodate them in your plans. Especially when you have such limited time!! I hope it all worked out for dinner, but I guess we'll see.

It was so frustrating! Yes, I know you want to see us but this is our vacation! One that I have spent months planning!

You know, I think this was the same day we had planned to go to DS and meet Santa, but now I'm so glad we didn't! Although it's not too bad with a pager, we didn't really have much else we wanted to do there, so it would have been a huge time suck. We probably would have driven down there only to turn around and go back because 2 hours for Santa is a bit ridiculous. I'm glad it worked out for y'all though since you were there to hang out anyway! Luckily I ended up checking the app and seeing he was available in MK and we met him with a super short wait! For some reason I thought he wasn't there until closer to Christmas.

I think I remember us trying to find a time to meet up but the evening was so crazy. And it would have been a waste of time for just a Santa visit. I'm not sure if the parking situation is any better at this point or not. But I'm glad you got to meet Santa at MK!

Good to know. We're about an hour sans traffic from BWI so we don't go out of there very often, but good to know a playground awaits when we do

We'll be flying out of BWI for the first time in May so it will be nice to compare to Pittsburgh. And those play areas are a lifesaver - anything to burn off energy before the flight!

This totally sounds like something my daughter would do. If only we could predict what random things would occupy them so we could leverage it accordingly ; )

Stickers and anything destructive are always hits around here! :rotfl:

This is great. I'd forgotten they had these at Pop and AoA, but I don't recall seeing them elsewhere. Definitely something they should have at all the resorts.

It's a really nice little touch - fun as soon as the kids arrive!

Us too and we only have one to try and get to look at the camera

It's ridiculous! I must sound like a crazy woman yelling "Look at me! Look at the camera! Please, just look for one second!!"

Score on the discount. How as the noise by the pool? We had a pool view at Poly last summer and I was surprised how much noise there was, especially at night.

We only found it loud until about 10 at night and it wasn't unbearable - just a few shouts and laughter. We didn't hear music or anything. But I think I would just go with a regular preferred room next time to save even that little noise.

3 year old, it looks like the perfect thing my husband would try and climb on ; ) Love all the over the top decorations they have here, but Im sure its rough on the kids to tell them not to climb on play doh of all things

The huge statues at Pop and AOA have been big hits with the boys. But we've had a hard time keeping them off the stuff that is just the right height for climbing. They do it at playgrounds like Honey I Shrunk the Kids...why not at Pop? Playgrounds for everyone!!

Hope you were able to work it out for dinner. My hubbys family can be the same way sometimes and its exhausting when folks just don't think about the details

It was very frustrating - especially with everyone thinking reservations for a party that large can be easily adjusted.

2 hours!!!!! That is insane. The pagers are a great idea, but still 2 hours is crazy

I agree! It's an insane wait but made much easier with the pagers and plenty of things to do while you wait!

My daughter built these for the first time on her last trip and loved it. So much fun

It's a very cool souvenir - and one that they play with long after the trip! Unlike many of the things the grandparents insist on buying them during our trips!

Wait there is a play area at BWI? How did I miss this, I only fly out of there with the minions 3 to 5 times a year. I must remember to keep an eye out for that next time we fly, which is in 3 days to Disney.

Supposedly, there is a play area in the Observation Gallery, which I gather is before security. And then a play area in Terminal D. I've never been but that's the information I read on a few travel sites and heard from talking to friends who have flown out of BWI. Hope you found it for this trip!

Ugh. In laws. Ugh. DHS that don't think in law flaws are a big deal. Lol. Hope it wasn't an issue at TRex.

It was soooo frustrating! I tried my best to keep smiling but it's so hard when I've spent months making plans that have to be adjusted at the last minute because someone else failed to plan! :headache:

Supposedly, there is a play area in the Observation Gallery, which I gather is before security. And then a play area in Terminal D. I've never been but that's the information I read on a few travel sites and heard from talking to friends who have flown out of BWI. Hope you found it for this trip!

I do see the one in the Observation Gallery, we always arrive and go right through security though just to make sure we're through in time. I don't remember one in Terminal D, that is where Delta is, we've flown out of there before. I haven't overly looked for a play area either so I may have just missed it. If you are flying SouthWest you will be in terminals A and B, D involves going out and back through security if I remember right, it is on the other side of the airport.

It was sooooo hard to bite my tongue! No, we can't add you and your husband and your cousin and your best friend's neighbor and his dog to the reservation the very day of!! No! But smiles...because it's Disney! :bitelip:
I actually had something similar happen during my trip, but I've left it out of the TR since it never came to be. My uncle's sister who lives in the Sarasota area, and a few days before we left, got all upset that my uncle and aunt weren't going to drive out to see her while they were in Florida. So my uncle asked when would be a good time for her and her fiance to come join us for a day, and I gave him the best option, and they said they would. Then on the day they were supposed to come, they back out. Thankfully I hadn't re-arranged any plans to accommodate them, though!

I had enough trouble adding 5 more people to a bunch of reservations a month before the trip. The day of would not make me happy. I am still kind of annoyed that my sister suggested 4 days ago that we do a late dinner for my Dad. I leave tomorrow (now that it is after midnight), I don't have time to rearrange plans to fit in a late dinner without the kids for Dad. Seriously people I emailed you info in July! You've had months to get me info or think of things like this.

So...if you remember back to my introductions, we had a few extra members that joined us for parts of this trip. My sister-in-law lives in Cocoa, about 30-45 minutes from Disney. We usually only see them 1-2 times a year (we visited them last summer) and she wanted to meet up with us since we were in the area. Fine, totally ok and understandable, right? What drove me crazy was that she called and asked to meet up with us that very morning. On the way to the airport. She wanted to meet us at Disney Springs to hang out and have dinner. Which would have been ok, except we had an ADR at TRex Cafe that night. I tried to explain to Jim that it might be hard to adjust the number on our reservation but he insisted it wouldn't be a big deal. His family plans absolutely nothing so this last minute addition was no big deal to him, but for me...

You have far more grace and patience then I would have had!

So we arrived at Disney Springs and met up with SIL and BIL. Oh, and they have BIL's cousin visiting them. Can we add her to the reservation too?

At this point, I was just like why not?

Moving on.

I'm totally nominating you for sainthood.

Our first stop was to check in for a meeting with a very important guy. :santa: I was interested to see how the Santa situation worked out here with the pager. I walked up to check in and the wait was a solid 120 minutes!

Two hours in line would suck but that system actually sounds really good.

I do see the one in the Observation Gallery, we always arrive and go right through security though just to make sure we're through in time. I don't remember one in Terminal D, that is where Delta is, we've flown out of there before. I haven't overly looked for a play area either so I may have just missed it. If you are flying SouthWest you will be in terminals A and B, D involves going out and back through security if I remember right, it is on the other side of the airport.

Oh man I'm not sure that will work for us. Maybe if we arrive early enough we can let them play in the Observation Gallery for a few minutes? Thanks for letting me know!

I actually had something similar happen during my trip, but I've left it out of the TR since it never came to be. My uncle's sister who lives in the Sarasota area, and a few days before we left, got all upset that my uncle and aunt weren't going to drive out to see her while they were in Florida. So my uncle asked when would be a good time for her and her fiance to come join us for a day, and I gave him the best option, and they said they would. Then on the day they were supposed to come, they back out. Thankfully I hadn't re-arranged any plans to accommodate them, though!

Beyond frustrated for you at that whole situation - why don't you come see us? Oh, we'll come see you. Or not. I'm glad you didn't rearrange any plans!!

I had enough trouble adding 5 more people to a bunch of reservations a month before the trip. The day of would not make me happy. I am still kind of annoyed that my sister suggested 4 days ago that we do a late dinner for my Dad. I leave tomorrow (now that it is after midnight), I don't have time to rearrange plans to fit in a late dinner without the kids for Dad. Seriously people I emailed you info in July! You've had months to get me info or think of things like this.

I don't think many people understand the insane amount of advance planning it takes to pull off a big family trip! At most restaurants, you could totally change a reservation that close to the date. But everyone is just baffled by the fact that if the reservation isn't made 6 months before your trip...it's probably not happening!

You have far more grace and patience then I would have had!

I'm totally nominating you for sainthood.

I accept your nomination with dignity and grace in light of the fact that I apparently have a lifetime of this to look forward to! :mad: princess:

Two hours in line would suck but that system actually sounds really good.

It was a really great system - like the pagers at Dumbo except you get to shop instead of watching kids play. Which is way more enjoyable!!

It's Santa!!

When we last left off, the boys were having fun exploring the Star Wars section in Once Upon a Toy. I was holding our Santa pager when it went off. And I'm pretty sure I yelled "Santa! It's time for Santa!" Because I'm a child.

So I rounded up our party (formerly 7, now 10 :rolleyes2 ) and we headed over to Santa's Chalet. The posted wait was still 120 minutes. Our wait had been closer to 90 minutes, which was a nice surprise!

Disney Springs was looking beautiful as we waited!

The CMs directed us into line and we found only one other family waiting ahead of us. Colin was just slightly excited to see the REAL Santa!

As we waited for the family in front of us to finish, the CM explained the process. She said that when it was our turn, all the adults would step to the right while the kids visited with Santa. The PhotoPass photographer would take shots, candid and posed at this point. Then we could step into the center area and take our own photos. A very well run system, but I expected nothing less!

I did find a Hidden Mickey in the stained glass behind Santa's chair while we waited.

Soon it was our turn to see Santa!

My shot, from the side.

The photographers picture of Santa talking to the boys.

The boys went up and I missed almost all of their fairly long conversation. It was pretty loud with all of the Disney Springs traffic walking by. I did hear Nate say "Ultra TRex", which is this huge dinosaur battle station thing. Santa came through on that one! :thumbsup2

This is the best shot the PhotoPass photographer got.

And mine from the side.

The photographer also got this cute candid of Colin. Which is just so him, really!

It was a really nice visit and we didn't feel rushed at all. The whole pager system made our actual line time very short. I would recommend this Santa meet if you have plans to be in Disney Springs! It was nice to check in and then take care of our browsing while we waited.

After we left Santa's Chalet, it was just about 6:00...time for our ADR at TRex Cafe. I had called earlier when our party number jumped from 7 to 10 and the hostess said that she didn't *think* it would be a problem but our wait time would increase. So I scooted ahead of everyone else to check in and see just how long our wait would be.

Next up - "Not another meteor shower!"

Santa looked like lots of fun. I love the pager method too.

Waiting to hear about the T-Rex wait! We may or may not be there tomorrow night.

I loved meeting Santa at Downtown Dis...er...Disney Springs in November! We had the same problem trying to remember what to call the darn place! And my son is also a pretty new reader, so believe me I totally get it about not being able to get ANYTHING past him!! :)

My Mom and I were there pretty early in the month, so I didn't even think we'd have the opportunity to see Santa. Well, lo and behold, the night of our MVMCP we were wandering afterward and THERE WAS THE CHALET!! SANTA! I KNOW HIM! in full force for sure :) We didn't get to use the pager system though because there were barely any people around. We waited for about 10 minutes until he came back from his milk and cookie break. Pure magic :)

(Oh, and HUGE UGH at the in-laws and their extra guest to join your ADR. People have NO CLUE!!!!! how much that could throw a wrench in your plans!!!)

Joining in!! We stayed at Pop Century last year, and had a very similar itinerary to yours! Seeing the pictures of the tree in the lobby and the hotel, I'm all flooded with emotions! :love:

How did you like your room? We were on the ground floor in the 50's building and I really wasn't THAT crazy about it. We could hear everything going on above us (toilets flushing, water rushing through the pipes, etc.) and in both of the rooms next door were very LOUD families lol
I'd like to try staying there again, because it's such a great value. So I'm curious if the preferred rooms are any better.

Your boys are adorable and I'm really enjoying your TR! :smickey:

So how many times did we repeat this phrase in our few hours in the place formerly known at Downtown Disney?
I just haven't even bothered yet. I know if I try to refer to it as Disney Springs. I also confuse myself if I shorten it down to DS so I just stick to DTD.

Especially since Nate could read the sign at the Pop bus stop. Whatever you do, don't dare make a mistake around a new reader. They will be all over you!
Sigh! Good point. I suppose I should at some point explain to Little Miss that the name has been changed.

What drove me crazy was that she called and asked to meet up with us that very morning. On the way to the airport. She wanted to meet us at Disney Springs to hang out and have dinner. Which would have been ok, except we had an ADR at TRex Cafe that night.
giphy.gif

I tried to explain to Jim that it might be hard to adjust the number on our reservation but he insisted it wouldn't be a big deal. His family plans absolutely nothing so this last minute addition was no big deal to him, but for me...

This is where I get beyond grateful for 2 things..... 1) I have a DH that understands how these things work and always defers to my judgment on these issues. 2)My in laws are far far far away and I don't have to deal with them.

So we arrived at Disney Springs and met up with SIL and BIL. Oh, and they have BIL's cousin visiting them. Can we add her to the reservation too?
giphy.gif

I walked up to check in and the wait was a solid 120 minutes!
:scared:

The CM gave me a pager and told me that we were free to go anywhere to shop and eat. When the pager went off, we would have 15 minutes to report back to get in line. Seemed easy enough!
Well I guess its not that bad if you aren't standing around for the full 2 hours.

Colin and I popped into World of Disney next to visit the bathroom. And also for me to take pictures of ceilings, apparently.
:rotfl2: I always forget to really look up while I'm in there. I'm always doing too much shopping or watching Little Miss.

I was holding our Santa pager when it went off. And I'm pretty sure I yelled "Santa! It's time for Santa!" Because I'm a child.
:rotfl:

So I rounded up our party (formerly 7, now 10 :rolleyes2 )
giphy.gif
I applaud your patience!

The photographer also got this cute candid of Colin. Which is just so him, really!

:rotfl2::thumbsup2

I had called earlier when our party number jumped from 7 to 10 and the hostess said that she didn't *think* it would be a problem but our wait time would increase. So I scooted ahead of everyone else to check in and see just how long our wait would be.
Here's hoping everything works out!

Joining-in and am all caught up! Loving your trip report ..and your boys are totally adorable! Reading your report has me thinking about scheduling a Christmas trip for the same time-frame this year..... Day afer Black-Friday and WDW is already decorated and in the full holiday-swing? Sound perfect to me :) Can't wait to read what happens next!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter