How much cash?

DisneyWhirled

DIS Veteran
We are going on a 4 night Wonder. Just wondering how much cash should we should plan on bringing. I do not like carrying a lot of cash, but there is no way I want to be stuck without any.

In Nassau, we are planning the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon. In Castaway Cay, DH is planning on the parasailing and we are going to rent bikes, floats, etc.

Any advice? TIA!!

You don't need cash for any DCL sponsored excursion or on the ship. Everything is charged to your KTTW card on the ship and on Castaway Cay. If you do a DCL sponsored excursion and want extra drinks, souveniers, etc, you might need a little cash. You can also choose to charge your tips.

Guest Services will cash a check up to $100 for you (per cruise) or one traveler's check per day. There are no ATMs on the ship. The only thing you need cash for is spending on the islands, tolls if you are driving, and some singles for room service tips.

Even if you do a DCL sponsored excursion there are stops that might have souveniers if you want to buy those you need cash. Also, it's nice to use cash for your gratuities for the Cast members. You don't have to, but it's nice.

Can you use your KTTW at the gift shop at CC key? I thought I read elsewhere that you could not.

Also, it is customary to tip the non-DCL people running the excursions.

Can you use your KTTW at the gift shop at CC key? I thought I read elsewhere that you could not.

We used our KTTW card at the gift shop on CC. As it's an extension of the ship, it's the preferred method of payment for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only form of payment accepted.

Also, it is customary to tip the non-DCL people running the excursions.

I agree.

We usually only bring about $500 for a 7 day. Souvies in ports, tipping for excursions, porters at airports, limo driver, The rest goes on that big, bad bill that gets slid under my door. :guilty:

Besides needing cash at the ports, we use cash to tip for room service. Then there are coin operated laundry machines, and coin operated feminine product machines...

We used our KTTW card at the gift shop on CC. As it's an extension of the ship, it's the preferred method of payment for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only form of payment accepted.
Yes, you can use it and they'll even deliver your purchases to the ship for free so you don't have to lug it around the beach all day. I love it. :cloud9:

I took $1,000 in cash for a 7 day for 4 people. But I tipped my servers in cash, and since we are on the West Coast, and fly, we had a total of 5 meals coming and going in airports, not exactly the cheapest place to eat. As I recall those airport meals by themselves.....all at concessions not at restaruants, set me back about $200. Parking for my car at my home airport for 8 days set me back another $80.
In some cases I could have used a credit card or debit card I guess. But I've been too many places recently where the credit card/debit card systems were down. Try explaining that to a hungry kid at an airport!!! Cash always works.

Also, it's nice to use cash for your gratuities for the Cast members. You don't have to, but it's nice.

I'm curious as to what the basis is for this statement. Why is it "nice?" I'm not trying to start an arguement, but I've spoken with our favorite server (we always requested him until he left DCL). He says that he prefers having tips charged--he was sending most of his money home to support a family and felt that it was easier to keep track of, not have to worry about losing, etc. He stated that he always got enough cash for his personal needs on the ship (which are minimal) and that it was better for him to have the check. He also assured me that CMs get every penny that is charged--there is no "service fee" or anything deducted by DCL. Really, think about it. If a server gets the suggested tips from each person (which we know doesn't happen--some tip more, some less), he'd get nearly $4000 per month. He then has to deal with converting that to some safe vehicle to send it home, save it, or whatever.

Yes, if you plan to tip in cash, you should bring a lot more (the suggested tips for a family of 4 on a 7 day cruise would be almost $350.)

I have to agree with this. Our servers have also told us they prefer to have the tips charged for the same reasons.

I'd prefer to "charge" the tips for the DCL crew, I'm glad that it won't be doing them a dis-service if I opt to do that.

I'm curious as to what the basis is for this statement. Why is it "nice?" I'm not trying to start an arguement, but I've spoken with our favorite server (we always requested him until he left DCL).

Hmmm... taxes anyone? Maybe they don't pay any.

Hmmm... taxes anyone? Maybe they don't pay any.
No sure what the tax laws are in the Bahamas, whose tax laws would apply since the ship is registered there.
We asked our server which he preferred, and he very diplomatically told us "If you choose to leave a tip, please do whatever works best for you".
We tipped in cash, and at the final breakfast, he thanked us and said that cash was easier for him, because he could go to any Western Union office and wire money home easier. He said he has to take an extra step on board, and cash in his credit card tips for cash to take to Western Union.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter