How much cash do you

bonnielynn

DIS Veteran
take with you on the cruise... not what I will spend on the cruise credit card wise, but what I will need for the island and whatever else you need cash for.

I figure out what i will need for any excursions on the islands (we tend to book our own instead of going through DCL) and add about $100 per island for shopping. We are NOT big shoppers (I almost always have money left over) and were we to make any large purchases we'd put that on our credit card. We usually bring sandwiches from the ship for lunch or go back to the ship for lunch when possible so we don't usually need to plan for that expense. My kids are teenagers now and bring their own money for their shopping in the ports.

This is a tough one to answer. Everyone's habits are completely different. On our last Eastern 7-day the only cash we spent was about $10 total for room service tips. We are not shoppers and if we had bought anything, it would have gone on the Visa. We only took DCL excursions so snacks and drinks were already provided. We've always been back on the ship by 1 or 2 so we had lunch there. This next trip our first stop is Key West. We will probably bring a bit more cash, since we are not taking an excursion. But it is highly likely we will use the Visa for about everything there too. We take very little cash on most any trip now a days. It seems that so many places now take credit cards. Even McDonalds takes it.

I have a credit card for the excursions and the cruise.. I am taking $500 in cash for the islands, shopping and the extras.. what do you think?

We only took $50 in cash and half of that was in $1 bills for tipping porters and room service. Everything else including things at the ports we used our AMEX. Personally, we don't feel like carrying around cash.

I have a credit card for the excursions and the cruise.. I am taking $500 in cash for the islands, shopping and the extras.. what do you think?

Just wanted to clarify something in my last post. Some private excursions prefer to have cash. I know this is true of our private charter at Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman. We bring enough cash for excursions that prefer it and then the spending money.

If your excursions are all paid for with your credit card I think that $500 sounds like more than enough.

Is there an ATM onboard, and can you get change - if you need extra 1's for room service? I was planning on stopping at the bank and getting a bunch of 1's before our cruise, but that's not till March!

We ussually take $400. $200 each and depending on the length of cruise about $20 worth of singles. This amount ussually covers us for all the tips, breakfast before the cruise, souveniers in port, etc.

Is there an ATM onboard, and can you get change - if you need extra 1's for room service? I was planning on stopping at the bank and getting a bunch of 1's before our cruise, but that's not till March!

There is no ATM onboard, but Guest Services will cash a traveller's cheque for you. I seem to recall there being a limit ($100?) though. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter